Katelin - posted on 09/28/2009 ( 38 moms have responded )
My husband and I have done a bunch of research on the subject of vaccinations. Because of the research we've done (and family history - my sisters and I reacted very badly to some vaccines we were given at a younger age) we have decided not to vaccinate our son.
My cousin's girlfriend recently gave birth to a baby girl at the hospital I am planning on giving birth at (in Central Florida) and the nurses wanted to give the baby a Hep B shot. My cousin and his girlfriend did NOT want the baby to have the shot and the hospital threatened to call DCF on them if they refused the shot! The baby wound up with the vaccine and I am worried I won't be able to get around it.
I've gone to our local health department to ask them how to go about avoiding it and found out that I cannot get a religious waiver for vaccines until my baby is actually born. My midwives office suggested calling the pediatrician I'm planning on taking my baby to but didn't promise the doctor would know what to do.
Is there anyone else out there that ran into this problem? Would it help to have it written out along with our birth plan, that we don't want our son having this shot before he leaves the hospital?