The Top 25 Words for Toddlers

Is being late to talk always the sign of a problem? Researchers have published a list of 25 words and phrases that toddlers should be using by the age of two. While the average toddler uses anywhere from 75 to 225 words, late talkers who use at least 25 by the age of two often catch up by the age of 4 or 5.

Here's the list:

• juice
  • milk
  • mommy
  • nose
  • shoe

Read more at Yahoo!

What's your toddler's favorite word on this list?

Comments (53)

Next up

FAMILY & FRIENDS | INTERNET

10 Reasons Moms Drop Facebook Friends

Are you losing touch with your Facebook friends? Circle of Moms members share the 10 reasons… Read More

Got something to say? Join Circle of Moms or login to participate in the conversation.

Please login to comment
Comments (53)
  • Natasha - commented on Mar 8, 2012

"uh oh" and "up" are also common early words. Each child really does develop at his/her own unique pace. I'm an early childhood educator and I see such a variety of language abilities among the little people with whom I work. The one thing that I have noticed that can make a difference, though not always, is that talking to your child about everything as you are doing it does increase vocabulary. Talk to your children and describe everything you are doing and seeing: "we are going up the stairs 1,2,3 up, up, up". This is what I tell the parents of my students and this is what we've always done with our 2 1/2 yr old. He talks so much I wish there was an off switch! Yes, but then there are those quiet lil ones who will choose to talk in there on good time.

• Bre - commented on Mar 6, 2012

My 22 1/2 month old says all thoes words and then lots more she can also count to 10 with little help and is learning her ABC's..

• Becca - commented on Mar 6, 2012

okay, my daughter is about to be 19 months old and is taking her sweet time when it comes to talking. so far, "ball" is the only word on this list that she uses in a semi-recognizable way, but she also has her own personal versions of "boat", "clock", and "flower", plus she makes sounds to represent "car" and "bird", so i'm not freaking out about it. we'll get there when we get there. :)

• Jennifer - commented on Mar 5, 2012

My son is autistic. He did not talk at all until the day after his 3rd birthday. He then was reading store signs. He then went on to read full sentences. I think he now has a better vocabulary than I do.

• Crissy - commented on Mar 5, 2012

two year old talks in sentences and says thank you bless you excuse me and more correctly I also read to her every day she can count to eleven ,sing her ABCs , teinkle twinkle little star, she can recited little Bo peep and its like she picks up on something new every day today it was "are you thinking what im thinking?"

• Brittney - commented on Mar 5, 2012

My daughter is 16 months and knows most of these words. But she can say over 70 words, it doesn't matter she cant say a few on this list.

• Jenna - commented on Mar 5, 2012

My bubba (19 months)'s favourite word is "whereisshe?"... He walks around the house all day saying this while my 6 year old is at school. "at school" I say. His response? "oh. Whereisshe?"

• Sarah - commented on Mar 5, 2012

My son is 6 years old now. When he was 9 months old he already said about 20 words. Mama, Dada, dog, fish, that, cat, beeyas-which meant he wanted to nurse, no, yes, eye balls, more, sponge bob, car, broom, hi, hot, cold, mommy, truck, frog and so on. I had no idea he was so advanced in this area. Now at his age he is still noticeably smarter than other kids his age. The only thing I could think of that may have contributed to his big vocabulary is that I have read to him every night since he was born.

• Megan - commented on Mar 5, 2012

oh, I totally forgot "i did it", "he/she did it," "you did it", and funny.

• Megan - commented on Mar 5, 2012

What about please "peas?", any numbers, shirt, shoes, socks, outside, door, eww, poopy, potty, cake, eat, apple, orange, letters, go, blankie, toothbrush, colors, hair, or anything like that? My son started many of those words around his second birthday.