Deborah - posted on 01/28/2009 ( 16 moms have responded )
my son Harri was born on 15/8/08, after he was born we discovered an extra finger on each hand,
although very scary, apparently it is the most common birth defect worldwide with 1 in 200 babies born with extra digits.
Harri is my 5th son, and it never ever occured to me to count fingers or toes at the births of any of my babies, i just took for granted that they would have 5 of each.
i would love to talk with others who have experienced this, as it is extremely fascinating.
his "spares" will be removed under G/A before his 1st birthday.
Harri is in the 10% of babies who have nerves and blood supply to his spares, the other 90% of babies are treated at birth, simply by tying surgical string around the finger until it drops off, sounds barbaric to me!