Help! My almost 2 year old stop drinking milk after 5 days with Diarrhea..

Lucy - posted on 09/27/2010 ( 18 moms have responded )

15

7

0

I need help in getting my son to start drinking milk again. He had diarrhea for 5 days and the doctor told me to stop milk during that time. I stopped the milk for two days and my son won't drink it now.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

18 Comments

View replies by

Shelly - posted on 10/09/2010

15

12

0

I agree except my sons doctor said soy isn't good for anyone. We should all try to avoid casein and soy.

Annie - posted on 10/08/2010

19

26

3

Switch your son to rice/almond milk it's better for him than cow's milk. Casein found in cow's milk is not good for anyone!

Shelly - posted on 10/03/2010

15

12

0

He may since that he has a dairy intolerance. You should try Almond Milk. My boys love it. They also have it in chocolate. Kids with milk allergies have diarrhea and some doctors are clueless. Maybe look into a dairy free diet.

Joannetimms - posted on 09/30/2010

19

91

1

mine stopped drinkin milk after an eye op and he aws just over two and still wont drink it now he at playschool

Kira - posted on 09/30/2010

13

28

0

My son used to drink half a gallon of milk a day and we were always battling things like diarrhea and constipation then I finally did some allergy testing for foods with an allergist when he was 3 and found out he is highly intolerant to milk and it was wreaking havoc on his system. He can't handle soy milk either so the only thing he has now is Almond milk and the only time we have ever had to deal with those things is when someone gives him dairy products that doesn't know (or care as we have some of that in the family too) or he sneaks into the fridge and finds where we have hidden the cheese. I think he would do better without it, and the almond milk is enriched with vitamins and minerals so it's very comparable to regular cow's milk, which really isn't very good for humans anyway if you read up on it.

Suzi - posted on 09/29/2010

1

16

0

Hi Lucy, Your son may be telling you without words that he either doesn't need the milk anymore (the human body does not require it, I think, after 12 mos.) or his body is rejecting it (diarrhea) and he instincively knows and expects discomfort after drinking milk. You might try him on goat's milk from the health food store or coconut milk (not actually a dairy product) or coconut keifer w/vanilla flavoring. If you are concerned about him getting calcium, you might try plain Greek yogurt (full fat 4%) w/a little pure maple syrup for sweetening or organic agave nectar. The regular yogurts you get in the grocery store aisle have way too much sugar in them to compensate for the fat, but little ones need some fat to grow. Plus, too much sugar will give them tummy distress much like the diarrhea from the milk. I am not a doctor though, so check w/your pediatrician. I've simply used these alternatives w/my kids and then my granddaughter and for myself. You need to take into consideration any other underlying issues your little guy may be dealing with. Good luck....hope this info helps. Sparki

Anne - posted on 09/29/2010

139

45

2

Perhaps if you were to try Soya or Goats milk instead just in case he is lactose intolerant. You could re-introduce milk in home made custard or semalonia. Soya yougart or goats cheese. You may find these are a lighter way of getting milk into your baby. Best of Luck, Lucy. Anne :)

Esther - posted on 09/28/2010

12

58

0

hi lucy most of our children can't drink milk because it has that effect on them. and can u imagine the pain he must go thru until that milk has passed thru his system. there are great soy milks that offer the same nutrients as milk and are much safer for his stomach.

Rachael - posted on 09/28/2010

60

12

6

PS He can't have Soy/rice products either as the protien it contains is the same for all and he reacts to this also....

Rachael - posted on 09/28/2010

60

12

6

My son did this at 4 months and hasn't had a drop since. 6 months later we were in hospital intensive care. Turned out he is highly allergic to it and ended up in hospital with interrsuseption and we nearly lost him, twice. I was told if I had forced him to drink milk and have his yogurt the way he was I would have lost him for sure! Sometimes we need to listen to our kids when they are being "fussy" and think maybe there is a reason for this? I would really recommend having your boy tested for food sensitivities and allergy's and see what comes of it. In the meantime don't force it! My boy has been on cordial concentrate (only orange) just jucy, with no added anything from 4 months and is as healthy as a horse and have had no detrimental effects on him for not having any dairy in his diet! If I had pushed him to have it I could have killed him - that serious. He lost 8 inch's of his bowel in the process! Check with your Pead. Children can live without Milk! You can get the Calcium in other forms i.e. crushed tablets in his juice as I do. Good luck and don't worry!!!

Rachelle - posted on 09/28/2010

3

20

0

My son got a stomach virus that messed him up for about 3 months. Could not have milk because it aggravated it. His doctor suggested soy milk because he would still be getting all of the vitamins, without the dairy. He loved it! We used the Soy Silk Vanilla. It did not cause any diarrhea, and once he had the virus completely gone, we were able to give him milk again.

Heather - posted on 09/28/2010

2

38

0

My Daughter whom is 3 now used to be lactose intolerant and at the time I gave her NUTRAMIGEN with lipids (comes in a gold & orange can) and to substitute that I gave her Rice milk..it comes in all flavors too and my baby girl loved it!

[deleted account]

My daughter was still on a bottle last spring when she got the swine flu......she weaned off the bottle & we couldn't get her near pediasure or milk. She did eat yogurt (and lots of it), so the Dr. told us that would substitute.....but as a mom, it felt very weird to not have her drink milk or formula. We actually had trouble getting her to drink at all, but finally found a cup she would drink juice from. She now is drinking milk at dinnertime......so don't give up hope!! Try to find something he will eat like yogurt or cheese. Good luck!!

Sarah - posted on 09/27/2010

49

22

8

Is it possible that he is lactose intolerant? I know I am, and I also know the discomfort that comes along with consuming milk, things such as upset stomach, diarrhea etc etc. Not many of us would choose to consume something that may make us ill. So long as the calcium comes in some form, it doesn't have to be just milk.
Hope your son is feeling better!

Sheila - posted on 09/27/2010

837

9

263

Hi Lucy,

I know a number of people who don't let their children drink milk for a variety of reasons. As long as you get calcium and vitamin D in his diet, milk in and of itself is not "necessary." Dairy products such as cheese, yogurt, etc can work just as well.

Try milk in cereal to re-introduce...see what happens!

Sheila

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms