Babies to sleep

Jackie - posted on 01/13/2010 ( 7 moms have responded )

94

24

20

I keep reading that everyone is having trouble sleeping through the night because their babies are not sleeping through the night. My question is did you sleep 8 hours or more during your pregnancy during the night? My daughter is now 4 months old and she has been sleeping atleast 8 hours to start then a bottle then sleep atleast two more hours afterwards starting at 2 months old. I think it had something to do with me sleeping atleast 10 hours when I was pregnant. What does everyone else think?

7 Comments

View replies by

Renae - posted on 01/14/2010

2,209

23

156

I dont believe there is any relationship between our sleeping during pregnancy and how well the baby sleeps. What your baby is doing is normal, 75% of babies sleep through on their own starting 8-12 weeks, its the other 25% we hear about on here.



I have come to the conclusion that some babies just dont sleep well regardless of anything the mother/parents does or did. Some of the 25% non-sleepers only take a little tweaking to sort out their sleeping (e.g. bedtime routine) but others take major intervention and effort.



For the record, I slept at least 10 hours a night while pregnant and my son is one of the worst sleepers you will ever come across.

Emma - posted on 01/13/2010

507

15

63

Because of my previous work schedule, I was in bed by 8pm (drove my hubby nuts) and up at 4am. My son sleeps now *he's almost 7 mo 8pm, wakes around 12am for a feed and then again at 4am. He used to wake up at 4am, but now he will sleep til about 7am. But before this, he was up alot for feeds during the night. I thought it might have had something to do with the fact I couldn't get comfortable enough and was constantly waking up during the night in the last few months of my pregnancy. A friend of mine had a similar problem with her son, he wouldn't go to sleep before 12am because she used to work night shift and was going to bed around midnight lol I personnally believe that our sleep patterns during pregnancy can sometimes effect the baby.

[deleted account]

I haven't slept for 8 hours straight since I was a teenager...lol. I'm a really LIGHT sleeper so when I was pregnant I was lucky to get 1-2 hours straight sleep a night; to say I was exhausted is an understatement!! Of course, it didn't help that I had to get up to pee about 3-4 times a night as well. Good grief!! Thankfully, my 10 week old son is a sleeper. He goes down at 7:30pm and I wake him up (sort of) at 11:30pm to feed him, he then goes right back to sleep (if he isn't already) immediately after and doesn't wake again until 5:30-6 am and then goes back until about 7:30am. So there is no sleep connection between my pregnancy and how my son sleeps. Again I say Thankfully! He just has issues with napping during the day. :)

Joanne - posted on 01/13/2010

43

15

0

I had the toughest time sleeping when I was pregnant all through the 9 months because I was throwing up so much I'd even wake up in the night to hurl! I'd get 3-4 hours of sleep at a time...it was so exhausting but my son now wakes up once in the night (after 5-6 hours of sleep) for feeding which I'm truly happy about. So for me, there isn't a correlation between pregnant sleep and how he sleeps now. My problem is getting him to sleep initially...

Courtney - posted on 01/13/2010

9

20

0

i was thinking the same thing. i slept alot near the end of my pregnancy. my baby is 11 weeks old and she sleeps through the night (about 5-6 hours) eats then sleeps for another 4 hours. i love it and i think it may have had something to do with how i slept while pregnant.

Nikki - posted on 01/13/2010

5,263

41

574

I slept all the time when I was pregnant, for at least 8-12 hours a night, I was always tired, but my baby doesn't sleep very long,im very lucky if I get a 5 hour sleep out of her of a night.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms