About Marcy & her Blog
Marcy is a winner of Top 25 Homeschooling Moms - 2013
Do you have any tips for helping kids concentrate on their studies?
My son has ADHD, so I'm very familiar with issues of concentration (or lack thereof). Some things that have worked for use include:
1. Minimize distractions
2. Keep to a predictable schedule
3. Allow for "wiggle" breaks
4. Keep things as hands-on as possible
5. Give your student a say in what they learn
6. Feed your student a good breakfast, with protein
7. Offer incentives for completing work on time and without complaining (an hour of media time works well here as an incentive)
8. Classical music playing softly in the background may be helpful, if it's not distracting
What's an educational game or activity you and your kids love?
We love our iPad and have many fun and educational apps installed. Some of our favorites can be found on our blog here: http://www.benandme.com/p/appschooling.html
How do you encourage a love of reading in your kids?
We use a delight-directed unit study approach to homeschooling. From early on, I began using a book basket to go along with our studies. I fill the basket with a combination of picture books, nonfiction and chapter books, all based on our theme for the week. This basket is used primarily for free-reading time. Having easy access to books written on topics of interest and passion has made the love of reading easy in our house.
What are your favorite blog posts?
Marcy's Blogger SoundOff Posts
Within the FIAR family is a kind, devoted momma, named Fran. When Fran… More