I'm feeling nostalgic for the good old days when the kid's costumes were more about creativity... and what what we could find in the attic... rather than buying expensive costumes.
Here's a few "scavenger" costume ideas:
What boy wouldn't like to be Indiana Jones? Here's what you'll need:
* White or cream button down shirt
* Khaki pants
* A brown leather belt
* A fedora- that might just be the most important element
* A whip- There is an awesome tutorial here: http://pinandpaper.blogspot.com/2009/05/whip-it-whip-it-good-playtime-indiana.html
* A satchel
* A revolver- optional, but NOT for school
For the girls I'm in love the iconic Rosie the Riveter. To create this inspirational WWII hero you’ll need:
* A blue (or white) button down shirt
* A square of red polka dot fabric for a head scarf
* Jeans- preferably sailor style
* Bobby pins for a pin curl
* For shoes- there are lots of options including Oxfords, Penny loafers or Mary Janes… whatever you have available.
* Optional might be a tool belt and a few tools or even a WWII airplane to hold
* Also optional, but fun- a sign saying “We can do it!”
Those are just a few ideas of costumes that might just be lurking in your closets right this moment! Happy Haunting Everyone!