About Pattie Fitzgerald & her Blog
Pattie is a winner of Top 25 Mompreneurs - 2012
What advice would you give a mom who wants to be a mompreneur?
My 5 Tips (that have worked for me, anyway!)
1. Be passionate about what you choose to do, whether it's a service business, a blog, or selling a product, believe in it and believe in yourself... because when you're passionate about what you do, the hard work will always feel worth it.
2. Prioritize. That to-do list is always gonna be there. Some days you can get lots of things accomplished. Other days, not so much. With families, partners, schools, activities, households to run in addition to your business, some days just are too packed. Prioritize what really needs to happen on a certain day, and know that it's okay if you didn't cross every single thing off the to-do list.
3. Family life is Important ( :
It's hard sometimes when we're so focused on work and dinner needs to get started, or the kids need homework help or just want Mom's attention for a while. Walk away from the computer, put the phone down for a while and just focus on what the family needs. Setting up "blocks of time" for specific work duties/family duties including PLAY can really help so no one feels neglected.
4. Be kind to yourself. Starting a business is hard. It's time consuming, frustrating at times, and most of us want to do it all and do it all perfectly. You'll make a few mistakes along the way -- that's good, it's how we learn to grow (as moms and mompreneurs!)
5. Celebrate the little successes. If you made one new contact today, fantastic! Someone compliments the background color of your website -- ALL RIGHT! Some days BIG things happen and that's great. But it's important to celebrate even those little accomplishments along the way. All those little things add up to great big success.
What tips do you have for connecting with other mom bloggers?
Chat Chat Chat! Read other blogs, contact those bloggers, keep in touch by offering to write up brief guest posts occasionally and share information. Mention your favorite blogs on your site. Join Twitter, share tweets, link to other blogs. If possible, go to the Blogher annual conference or other types of networking conferences. They are so much FUN and a great way not only to connect to others, but let everyone know who you are and what you do! If you have a product or service, do a giveaway on someone's blog. When you're just starting out, make it a goal to reach out to at least one or two new mom bloggers a week with just a short note telling them who you are, and complimenting them on what you like about their site. Great way to connect and learn.
How do you balance being a mom and and an entrepreneur?
This is hard sometimes, especially when you work from home because it's all to easy to say "just one more email, just 10 more minutes online..." For me, it's about blocking out chunks of time for tasks, work, family time, etc. I need structure! Sometimes I just gotta say to myself: "walk away from the computer, walk away from the computer!" I find that a lot of my Mom Entreprenuer friends say the same thing. I try to remind myself why I got into a "Mom business" in the first place... because I felt passionate about a family service AND I wanted the freedom and flexibility to work within my needs as a mom. For me, I also need to take time out to rejuvenate once in a while. A mom's night out, getting a mani/pedi regularly, sometimes I just need to go shopping at the mall. I can't squeeze it all in all the time, but those little pick-me-ups help me stay balanced and sane. Oh yes, a daily bit of chocolate is an absolute!!
What are your favorite blog posts?