My husband recently fell down, broke his nose and needed 20 stitches. Yikes! Naturally, he was wearing a white shirt and khaki pants when he fell down, and he was COMPLETELY covered with blood! He looked like a character in a slasher film.
Naturally, I assumed that his clothes were ruined, but decided to follow the advice the ER doctor gave him (I guess ER docs are blood-stain-removal experts!). And guess what? It's GONE. ALL the blood is gone. You'd never know he even had an accident! Here's what I did...
1. Soaked the blood-soaked clothes overnight in cold water. The cold is VERY important, because hot water cooks the blood into the fabric.
2. I then soaked the stains with hydrogen peroxide.
3. Threw them in the washer and washed on COLD.
4. Checked the clothes before putting them in the dryer. This is apparently important, because if there are any stains still in the fabric, the heat of the dryer will cook them in.
5. Still found traces of blood, so I washed them AGAIN in cold water.
6. Stain gone, dried clothes in dryer.