About Eric Corpus & her Blog
Eric is a winner of Top 25 Daddy Blogs
What inspired you to start blogging?
I’ve always loved writing, and I’ve loved the Internet ever since I started up an AOL trial disc back in the day of 14.4 kilobits/s (or was it even less?) dial-up. When my first son was born, I wanted to talk about what it was like being a parent, and blogging stuck out to me as the perfect platform for it.
I have this continuous need to make a joke, so my wife and I settled that the premise of the blog should be a funny, kind of self-deprecating look at how having a child changed our lives. We figured that it would be quite ridiculous, but also honest, to ponder how cool we were now that we were parents.
So, I cranked up a Blogspot account and started writing Are We Still Cool?
What makes your blog stand out?
Three ways off the top of my head, which is probably two more ways than you care to hear.
1. I play the character of ‘Cool Dad’ on the blog. ‘Cool Dad’ is about 80% me with my life, experiences, and standards. However, the remaining 20% has this ridiculous ideal of what it means to be cool, and even rates his coolness by the use of a cool points system.
2. I don’t want the blog to be about our kids; I want it to be about us. This was our goal from the very beginning.
3. I think our story is a little different, too. We moved to New York City a couple of years ago with our 1 year-old, no job, and no plans. We bounced around apartments until I got a job. Then, we lived in interesting arrangements, like sharing a 200-square-foot studio apartment for the three of us, and later, living in a converted 3-bedroom apartment with two roommates, even after our second child was born. It’s a pretty crazy tale that’s still playing itself out.
What are three adjectives that describe your blog?
What are you doing when you're not blogging?