Tara - posted on 03/05/2011 ( 57 moms have responded )
As the meat vs veggie thread blows up I wanted to add a bit of information that no one has posted about. Where our ancient ancestors lived and ate and what type of blood they had, largely affects our own metabolism and health. Depending on your blood type you are predisposed to require more of certain foods, proteins, minerals etc.
The research behind this theory spans a long long time.
Blood Type O
Blood Type O is the oldest blood type in the world (evolved around 40,000 BC), and is traced back to CroMagnon man. People with Blood Type O have the hardiest digestive systems. They are the meat-eaters. Persons with Blood Type O need animal protein for good health, as well as vegetables and fruits. However, carbohydrates should be kept to a minimum, since the Blood Type O person cannot digest carbohydrates very well, especially wheat products containing gluten. This person will do well on a high animal protein, low carbohydrate diet; and, dairy products should be kept to a minimum. Persons with Blood Type O produce a lot of hydrochloric acid in their stomachs, and it is this great abundance of stomach acid that allows them to digest animal protein favorably. And, because their digestive systems already contain a lot of stomach acid, they should avoid drinking coffee, since coffee will cause them to produce even more stomach acid, and this tends to make them prone to peptic ulcers, especially if they are constantly under a great deal of stress. They should drink more green tea, instead of coffee. Persons with Blood Type O tend to have low thyroid and sluggish metabolisms; therefore, they should supply their diets with sea kelp and seafood to obtain natural iodine to stimulate their thyroids. The best exercises for these persons are the vigorous workouts like jogging, power walking, aerobics, weight training, etc. The harder they exercise, the better they will feel. Get the heart rate going, and sweat up a storm to burn calories, alleviate stress and eliminate depression!
Foods that encourage weight gain - Wheat gluten; corn; kidney beans; navy beans; lentils; cabbage; brussel sprouts; cauliflower; mustard greens; and, of course, sugar and white flour.
Foods that encourage weight loss - Sea kelp (iodine); Seafood: bluefish, cod, hake, halibut, herring, mackerel, pike, rainbow trout, red snapper, salmon, sardines, shad, snapper, sole, striped bass, sturgeon, swordfish, tilefish, white perch, whitefish, yellow perch, yellowtail; Red Meat: beef, buffalo, heart, lamb, liver, mutton, veal, venison; Vegetables: kale, spinach, broccoli.
Other foods to avoid
* Meat: bacon; goose; ham; pork. Seafood: barracuda, catfish, caviar, conch, herring (pickled), lox (smoked salmon), octopus.
* Cheeses & Dairy: American cheese, blue cheese, brie, buttermilk, Camembert, casein, cheddar cheese, colby, cottage cheese, cream cheese, edam, emmenthal, goat milk, gouda, gruyere, ice cream, Jarlsburg; kefir, Monterey Jack, munster, parmesan, provolone, Neufchatel, ricotta, skim or 2% milk, string cheese, Swiss cheese, whey, whole milk, yogurt, all varieties.
* Oils: corn, cottonseed, peanut, safflower;
* Nuts & Seeds: brazil nuts, cashew, litchi, peanuts, peanut butter, pistachios, poppy seeds.
* Beans & Legumes: copper, kidney, navy, tamarind, lentils (domestic, green & red).
* Cereals: cornflakes, cornmeal, cream of wheat, familia, farina, grape nuts, seven-grain, shredded wheat, wheat bran, wheat germ.
* Grains & Pastas: bulgur wheat flour, couscous flour, durum wheat flour, gluten flour, graham flour, soba noodles, semolina pasta, spinach pasta, sprouted wheat flour, white flour, whole wheat flour.
* Vegetables: avocado, cabbage (Chinese, red, white), cauliflower, white & yellow corn, eggplant, domestic & Shiitake mushrooms, mustard greens, olives (black, Greek, Spanish), potatoes (red & white), alfalfa sprouts, brussel sprouts;
* Fruits: blackberries, coconuts, melon (cantaloupe & honeydew), oranges, plantains, rhubarb, strawberries, tangerines;
* Juices: apple, apple cider, cabbage, orange.
* Spices: capers, cinnamon, cornstarch, corn syrup, nutmeg, black & white pepper, vanilla, vinegar (apple cider, balsamic, red & white wine).
* Condiments: ketchup, mayonnaise, pickles (kosher, dill, sweet & sweet pickle relish).
* Herbal Teas: alfalfa, aloe, burdock, coltsfoot, corn silk, echinacea, gentian, goldenseal, red clover, rhubarb, Saint-John's Wort, senna, shepherd's purse, strawberry leaf, yellow dock.
* Beverages: coffee (regular & decaf), distilled liquor, all sodas, black teas.
Blood Type A
People with Blood Type A evolved from the hunter/meat-eater to the agrarian, and were the farmers and grain gatherers. This blood type evolved between 25,000 and 15,000 bC. They have fragile digestive systems. These people cannot tolerate animal protein well, and should be the proverbial, classic "vegetarian" of the human species. They also are usually lactose intolerant, as well. Persons with Blood Type A should avoid animal protein and dairy products, and would do well with whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. Tofu and Hawaiian Spirulina should become the Blood Type A person's best friends, as these foods contains high-quality vegetable protein! Persons with Blood Type A do not produce enough hydrochloric acid in their stomachs, and that is why they have a difficult time digesting animal protein well. This also gives them a predisposition toward getting stomach cancer, and should never eat smoked or cured meats due to the sodium nitrites in them. Animal protein and dairy products tend to rot and ferment in their digestive tracts, and the toxic bacteria backs up into their tissues and muscles, thereby causing digestive distress. A lack of sufficient hydrochloric acid in their stomachs is another reason that persons with Blood Type A do not absorb Vitamin B12 properly from the foods they eat. Vitamin B12 is normally found in red meat, although B12 is also found in superior vegetable protein foods such as Hawaiian Spirulina, soy products and sea kelp. This inability to absorb Vitamin B12 sufficiently from food tends to make the person with Blood Type A prone to pernicious anemia. Therefore, supplementing the diet with Vitamin B12 is critical. Also recommended is supplementation with digestive enzymes such as betaine, bromelain and papain. Bromelain is derived from pineapple, and assists with the digestion of animal protein. Betaine will help to increase the amount of hydrochloric acid in their stomachs. The best exercise for these persons is not the heavy, vigorous workouts, but more calming, centering exercises like Tai Chi, Hatha Yoga and golfing. These soothing types of exercises will relieve the Blood Type A person's stress in a more beneficial way.
Foods that encourage weight gain - Meat; dairy food; kidney beans; lima beans; wheat (in overabundance); and, of course, sugar and white flour.
Foods that encourage weight loss - Vegetables oils, such as olive and flaxseed; soy foods; spirulina; vegetables; pineapple.
Other foods to avoid
* Meat & Poultry: bacon, beef, ground beef, buffalo, duck, goose, ham, hart, lamb, liver, mutton, partridge, pheasant, pork, rabbit, veal, venison, quail.
* Seafood: anchovy, barracuda, beluga, bluefish, bluegill bass, catfish, caviar, clam, conch, crab, crayfish, eel, flounder, frog, gray sole, haddock, hake, halibut, herring (fresh & pickled), lobster, lox (smoked salmon), mussels, octopus, oysters, scallop, shad, shrimp, sole, squid (calamari), striped bass, tilefish, turtle.
* Cheese/Dairy: American, blue cheese, brie, butter, buttermilk, Camembert, casein, cheddar, colby, cottage, cream cheese, edam, Emmenthal, gouda, gruyere, ice cream, Jarlsberg, Monterey jack, Munster, Parmesan, provolone, Neufchatel, sherbet, skim or 2% milk, Swiss, whey, whole milk.
* Oils: corn, cottonseed oil, peanut, safflower, sesame.
* Nuts & Seeds: brazil, cashews, pistachios.
* Beans & Legumes: copper, garbanzo, kidney, lima, navy, red beans, tamarind beans.
* Cereals: cream of wheat, familia, farina, granola, grape nuts, wheat germ, seven grain, shredded wheat, wheat bran.
* Breads & Muffins: English muffins, high-protein bread, matzos wheat, multi-grain bread, pumpernickel, wheat bran muffins, whole wheat bread.
* Grains & Pastas: white & whole wheat flour, semolina & spinach pasta.
* Vegetables: cabbage (Chinese, red, white), eggplant, lima beans, mushroom (domestic), olives (black, Greek, Spanish), peppers (green, jalapeno, red, yellow), potatoes (sweet, red, white), tomatoes, yams.
* Fruits: bananas, coconuts, mangoes, melon (cantaloupe & honeydew), oranges, papayas, plantains, rhubarb, tangerines.
* Juices: orange, papaya, tomato.
* Spices: capers, plain gelatin, pepper (black, cayenne, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, white), vinegar (apple cider, balsamic, red wine, white), wintergreen.
* Condiments: ketchup, mayonnaise, pickles, pickle relish, Worcestershire sauce.
* Herbal Teas: catnip, cayenne, corn silk, red clover, rhubarb, yellow dock. Beverages: beer, distilled liquor, seltzer water, all sodas, black teas.
Blood Type B
This blood type developed between 15,000 and 10,000 BC. Persons with Blood Type B have tolerant digestive systems, and can tolerate most foods equally well, with some exceptions. They are the lucky ones who can digest all types of foods with ease. However, the foods they should avoid are corn, buckwheat, lentils, peanuts, and sesame seeds, as these foods will tend to make them gain weight. Just like the Type O's, Type B's tend to have a problem with gluten in wheat products and wheat germ, which can cause a drop in their blood sugar levels, causing symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Blood Type B's who want to lose weight should definitely avoid wheat products. These lucky people can handle dairy products okay, compared to the other blood types. However, easy does it; if you consume too many high-calorie dairy products, you will gain weight! If you get hypoglycemia after eating a meal, sipping licorice tea would be beneficial for you. It is not advisable to take licorice supplements, unless under the supervision of a doctor. However, sipping licorice tea is very good.
Foods that encourage weight loss - Green vegetables; red meat such as lamb, mutton and rabbit; liver; turkey; pheasant; eggs/low-fat dairy products, including eggs from chicken; seafood, especially deep ocean fish such as cod and salmon, also flounder, halibut and sole; licorice tea. (Licorice tea is great to sip after a meal, as this will prevent hypoglycemia); soy foods; olive and flaxseed oil; oatmeal; oat bran; millet; rice bran; spelt; puffed rice.
Other foods to avoid
* Corn; lentils; black-eyed peas; garbanzo beans; peanuts; sesame seeds; buckwheat; wheat; and chicken (chicken is bad for the Type B's); shellfish; tomatoes; tofu; artichokes; avocados; olives: black, green, Greek, Spanish; pumpkin; radishes; mung bean sprouts; radish sprouts; tempeh; oils: canola, corn, cottonseed, peanut, safflower, sesame and sunflower; coconuts; persimmons; pomegranates; prickly pears; rhubarb; starfruit; allspice; almond extract; barley malt; cinnamon; cornstarch; corn syrup; plain gelatin; black and white pepper; tapioca; ketchup; hard distilled liquor; seltzer water; all sodas; amaranth; barley; cornflakes; cornmeal; cream of wheat; kamut; kasha; rye; seven-grain; shredded wheat; wheat bran; wheat germ.
Blood Type AB
Very rare, and the gentle offspring of Type A and Type B blood. This blood type has only been around for about 1000 years; a modern adaptation and result of intermingling of disparate groups. Less than 5% of the world's population have Blood Type AB. You combine the best and the worst of Blood Types A and B. Most foods that are bad for the Type A and Type B persons, are also bad for the Type AB person, with the exception of tomatoes. The Blood Type AB person can tolerate tomato lectins well. Like Type A, you do not produce enough hydrochloric stomach acid to digest animal protein well, such as red meat and poultry, yet you do need some animal protein. Therefore, portion size is important, and with less frequency. Be sure to take bromelain, a digestive enzyme derived from pineapple, to assist with the digestion of your animal protein meals. The best meats for you are lamb, mutton, rabbit and turkey. Also, avoid smoked and cured meats.
Foods that encourage weight gain - Red meat; kidney beans; lima beans; seeds; corn; buckwheat; wheat.
Foods that encourage weight loss - Tofu; seafood; dairy; green vegetables; spirulina; sea kelp; pineapple.
Other foods to avoid
* Meat: bacon, beef, ground beef, buffalo, chicken, cornish hen, duck, goose, ham, heart, partridge, pork, veal, venison, quail.
* Seafood: anchovies, barracuda, beluga, bluegill bass, clams, conch, crab, crayfish, eel, flounder, frog, haddock, halibut, herring (pickled), lobster, lox (smoked salmon), octopus, oysters, sea bass, shrimp, sole, striped bass, turtle, yellowtail.
* Cheese: American, blue cheese, brie, butter, buttermilk, Camembert, ice cream, Parmesan, provolone, sherbet, whole milk. Oils: corn, cottonseed oil, safflower, sesame, sunflower.
* Nuts/Seeds: filbert; poppy seeds; pumpkin seeds; sesame butter (tahini); sesame seeds; sunflower butter; sunflower seeds.
* Beans: adzuke, black, fava, garbanzo, kidney, lima; black-eyed peas.
* Cereals: cornflakes; cornmeal; kamut; kasha; corn muffins.
* Grains & Pasta: buckwheat kasha; barley flour; artichoke pasta; soba (buckwheat) noodles.
* Vegetables: artichoke (domestic & Jerusalem); avocado; white & yellow corn; lima beans; black olives; peppers: green, jalapeno, red, yellow; radishes; sprouts: mung bean & radish.
* Fruits: bananas; coconuts; guava; mangoes; oranges and orange juice; persimmons; pomegranates; prickly pears; rhubarb; starfruit.
So do you know your blood type? If you do, does this make sense to you?
It does for me. And most people I know.