Does anyone know if there is a way to get financial support when Dad is in prison?

Kim - posted on 06/13/2010 ( 5 moms have responded )




My ex is due to go to Fed Prison for 6 to 20 years, is there any way I can get SSI or something from him to help take care of our kids?

I know there are Victim advocates but his crime is not related to our children, but for drugs.

We have a child support order, he's been collecting unemployment, but i still haven't gotten any support.

I have no idea when he is going to prison only that his sentencing date is June 21st.
I have a 9 yr old that is asking lots of questions and I don't know what to do.
Thanks for any input.


Crystal - posted on 08/19/2011




I haven't found any financial support, but there are some programs that want to provide other support (some of them probably could help you find financial support?) Here is where you can find a list of local resources: http://www.restorativejusticecommunity.o... I hope this helps, sorry i'm so late! And have you heard of Angel Tree? I mostly only know of their Christmas ministry, but I think they do more (

Charlene - posted on 08/08/2010




Well as far as I know if he's not making money or getting income, you're on your own, Sorry!As for what to tell ur baby just say daddy's not going to be here for a while, and let them talk on the phone, it helps. My kid was 8 months too when he went away.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS


View replies by

Linda - posted on 09/18/2013




I dont know were to start just got gaurdianship of my daughter and her dad is going to jail for 50yrs. Not going to him soon

BFK - posted on 09/22/2012




I wouldn't count on the first sentencing date. My ex's federal sentencing was delayed numerous times and now 5 years later, he was finally sentenced. I have tried every avenue to try and get assistance with supporting our three children to no avail.

I would advise you to call your Domestic Relations office and ask them to garnish his unemployment compensation. That also happened with my ex, and I had to call. They said they were supposed to be garnishing, but never followed up. That should help you momentarily.

Casey - posted on 10/25/2011




I dont think there is. You can always file for child support and then once he gets out hell have to start paying. Plus hell have to pay back support. Im sorry. I feel the same way though.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms