Kyla - posted on 11/08/2008 ( 3 moms have responded )
We LOVE to bake in our house so I'm always on the look out for healthy recipes. I've been fiddling with this muffin recipe for a while and I've finally got it to a point I'm happy with. I thought I'd share it and see if anyone has anything new to share as well.
6 bananas, very ripe
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup wheat germ (I use a multi-grain mix I got at the farmers market this summer, flax would also work)
2 small apples diced
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare a 18 cup muffin pan
3. Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar
4. Add applesauce and eggs and beat well.
5. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Fold in fruit and carrots
7. Pour into prepared muffin pan.
8. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
These come out super moist and sweet, even with the small amount of sugar in them, in fact you could probably skip the sugar all together if you like. And they are so healthy I don't care if my kid eat 3 or 4 at once
What healthy treats do you like to bake at your house?