Sarah - posted on 02/11/2010 ( no moms have responded yet )
So, we eat really traditional home cooked food in our house. Beef stew with dumplings is one of our fave's and wanted to try B with some so baby-fied it and it's so far, his favourite!!1 mayb try it, it is so so so simple ....
TO SERVE 2 ADULTS AND ONE BABY/TODDLER:
500g Stewing Beef (the cheapest cuts of meat work just as well)
1 medium swede
1 sweet potato
1 large onion
Beef/Veg Stock...NO ADDED SALT
3L Casserole Dish with lid
PRE-HEAT OVEN toGas Mark 4/ 140 degrees
1. Seal the Beef in a little oil (brown it) and add to casserole dish
2. Peel and dice the onion, sweet potato, parsnip's, swede and carrots to a regular dice size and add to casserole dish
3. Peel and quarter the potato's and add to casserole dish
4. Add 3 pints of boiled water to aprox 6 NO ADDED SALT stock cubes (more or less can be used to personal preference)
5. Pour stock over the meat and veg and add the juices from the beef
6. Cook in the oven for 3-4 hours.
And it's as simple as that. Once cooked and cooled, blend or mash the stew for a baby or toddler. Salt and seasoning can be added after for adults and dumplings can also be added but not for baby's food. Dumpling mixes can be bought, instructions will be on the packet and are usually added to the stew 30 mins before end of cooking.
I hope you try the recipe and i hope your little ones enjoy it as much as we did... i will certainly carry on making it for B. Oh and just a note, it blends to a smooth texture very very well.