[deleted account] ( 1 mom has responded )
How to Make Your own Home Sugar Waxing Kit
If you'd like a completely "Do It Yourself" approach to getting rid of excess hair and making your legs smooth and hair free for weeks at a time you can wax them at home using a home sugar waxing kit. Legs are one of the easiest areas to wax yourself.
If you want to save a little more money you can also create your own leg wax using this recipe.
In fact, you can easily make a sugar waxing solution with a few items that you might find in any kitchen. The basic sugaring formula is made up of
* 2 cups sugar
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1/4 cup water
The ingredients are simply heated to a softball candy stage before use. It is a little tricky getting the sugar wax to the right consistency and temperature however you can use a candy thermometer to help in this.
* Place the ingredients in a heavy saucepan and heat gently
* Use your thermometer to measure when the mixture reaches 250 degrees F making sure that the mixture does not boil
* Let the mixture cool until it can be safely poured into a clean glass jar. (Use a preserving jar which is suitable for heating as you may want to reheat the mixture in the jar in the microwave or in a pot of water in future).
* Let the mixture cool further until it is still pliable and sticky but won't burn your skin. Test on a small area, where the skin is a bit tougher, when you think it's ready. You may have to experiment to get the consistency just right. This is where the ready made home waxing kits do have an advantage - especially those which have an inbuilt heater with thermostat.
* You will need some kind of spatula to spread the solution on your legs. You can use disposable wooden flat lollipop sticks for this.
* You will also need strips of cotton cloth which you can cut yourself from a piece of fabric. These cotton strips can be washed and reused another time if you like.
* Once you have made the solution and assembled your kit, follow the directions as for any commercial home waxing kit. (see How to Wax Your Legs Using a Home Waxing Kit for help) Smooth legs can be yours for just a few pence and the clearing up of any sticky residue from your legs is easy too as the sugar wax dissolves in water.
* You can reuse any remaining sugar wax by reheating the mixture in the jar to the correct temperature either in a microwave or in a pot of water. Again you will need to experiment to get the temperature and consistency right.