Cara - posted on 08/10/2011 ( 1 mom has responded )
so i searched for hours online looking for cheap ways to clean my sons mattress and get the smell out with products i already had at home!! So it took 2 days but here's how i did it!!
1. Remove all sheets and put the mattress somewhere sunny well ventilated. (i used my sunroom but of course not every one has one, so in front of a large window or outside will work just fine!)
2. Spray the mattress with 50-50% white vinegar and water solution. i used one cup of each (2 c total) for a double size mattress. So pretty much soak the top with a spray bottle.
3. Next generously dust with a layer of baking soda (i sifted it to get it even but its not really necessary. of course the water putting it over a wet mattress will turn it clear so use enough that the whole mattress looks white. (you need some dry stuff to soak up the excess h2o/vinegar solution.
4. Let dry completely in the sun. (i used a fan to help speed things along too.
5. Vacuum off the baking soda. (it will be a bit hard and crusty from absorbing the moisture so i rubbed it first with a dry cloth to loosen it.)
6. That does it for most cases but my sons pee must be potent! so next I mixed another solution, this time of 1/3 bleach to 2/3 water. I sprayed it more just on the middle of the mattress where the smells were concentrated. Let dry completely.
7. Another soaking of vinegar and water. to help remove the bleach smell as well. Let dry completely AGAIN... (remember to always let it dry in the sun as the sun will naturally help remove the smell as well! :)
8. Once it is completely dry, because of the bleach solution the top of the mattress might feel a little rough or hard to the touch, so get a rag and a bowl of warm water (glove your hands too please!) and gently rub down the mattress with the damp rag. Rinse it lots so your always using clean water. Youll notice the rag will be a little discoloured (yuck) but yay its because you have brought up some of the urine from inside the top layers of the mattress.
9. Now again let it dry out completely in the sun (i allowed a full day in front of the fan and in the sun for this time around just to ensure that the mattress was dry all the way through.
10. Now my sons potent pee smell is gone! :) YAY Its time consuming but it works! :) Good luck!