Single Mom's - Do you pay Tithing on Child Support?

Louise - posted on 04/28/2009 ( 7 moms have responded )




I'm somewhat new to the single mom thing and didn't even think about paying tithing on child support because the money is for the kids. Any ideas?

(I'd really like to make it to the Celestial Kingdom so I hope someone has some answers hahaha)


Missy - posted on 08/16/2012




Whatever funds, from whatever source, that come into the household—welfare receipts, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, unemployment, disability, alimony, inheritance, or regular income—with but a few exceptions, should be considered “first of all your produce.”

One exception to the principle of tithing could be child support. Although alimony should be considered titheable income , money designated for child support normally belongs to the children and isn't considered a part of personal earnings.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS


View replies by

Louise - posted on 06/03/2009




thanks for you thoughts everyone. this is definately going to be a trial of my faith because all i live off of is child support and i barely get by. i'm not on welfare or anything so the money i get for the kids JUST covers the bills and its hard to go in the hole to pay tithing. but if that's what i'm supposed to do I'll Do It

Rebecca - posted on 06/03/2009




You can't say for sure that you ex is paying tithing on it already. I would take the, whoa I think I just experienced my first earthquake, small but scary ( I live in Tremonton,Ut) to continue what I was saying, I would take the safe road and pay on it, but definitely talk to your Bishop and see what he suggests.

[deleted account]

You pay tithing on your increase. If it is money going into your account, you pay tithing on it.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer - posted on 05/02/2009




Louise, First of all, I'm sorry for your situation, it is always hard to be a single mom even if it's better. As far as tithing, your ex should have paid tithing on his increase, his wages. You are just getting a fair share of that increase to pay for the needs of your and his children. I would assume you would not need to pay tithing on it, it is not something you have earned, it is something your children are entitled to. Pray about it and if you still are not sure, ask your bishop, he's really the one to answer this question. Best of Luck.

Jacqui - posted on 04/30/2009




Well...I think usually if you're unsure it's better to err on the side of more than less. I don't know anything about child support, but I'm on government maternity leave right now. I pay tithing on my bi-weekly cheque because I know it is considered a taxable income, but then I also get a couple $100 cheques a month, which are apparently taken out of the taxes which I already paid, so I don't on those. I know you're not supposed to pay tithing on government money, ie welfare. You definitely could always ask your bishop if there are specific guidelines.

Otherwise, like I said: probably better to err on the side of more. Anyway, tithing blesses you, so most of all just make sure you're paying it willingly and what you feel is honestly.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms