ok, i am 5 1/2 months pregnant and really wanted to have a "natural " birth, but because i had already had a c-section the first time around with my twins, the doctor does not want to risk it. Should I go for a second opinion or should i listen to what he is telling me? HELP~
Join Circle of Moms
Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.Join Circle of Moms
Amy - posted on 11/12/2008
Hi Monique, You may want to check out the International Cesarean Awareness Network's website at http://www.ican-online.org. They have a whole section on VBAC and a handy checklist of things you can do to prepare yourself for going that route at http://www.ican-online.org/vbac/vaginal-...
The site says that it's your choice, not your doctor's, and has lots of information about your rights as a birthing mom. Good luck!
Heather - posted on 11/12/2008
I also had a C-sec with my twins 13 months ago and I will be doing a VBAC. My doctors said "you're crazy. this is your free ticket out" but I really want to try a vaginal delivery and they are letting me. If your scar is low and horizontal its not nearly as risky as it used to be. Their only concern is that I'm too tiny to get more than a 5lb baby out so they are letting me try and if I cant then they'll do a c-sec. Good luck....
Beth - posted on 11/11/2008
I'll be attempting a VBAC in march with an OB and a doula. The risk of rupture is something like 1 - 3 percent... which is very low. There are factors that lead to a higher percentage of rupture like induction, or the amount of time between pregnancies. Check out http://www.ican-online.org/ for more info! The important part is being informed..
Kate - posted on 11/10/2008
Most doctor's will let you try a "VBAC". I did, but ended up in a c-section the 2nd time too. Now I have to have mine scheduled. It's hard to give up that dream of having a natural birth---I think that I still have grieving moments. It probably depends on why you had a c-section on your first one that is informing the dr.s opinion. Our babies both had decreased heart rate. I would find out and have an honest discussion with your doctor.
Heather - posted on 11/07/2008
Hi: I just joined the group today and was reading this b/c I'm in the same situation. My doctor won't allow me to try a VBAC b/c of his malpractice insurance. ALthough, I've been told that a large percentage of women (I think it's in the 70's) who attempt a VBAC end up having an emergancy C-section anyway. My first child was 15 hours of painful labor (the epi didn't work) and I am just as happy to not have to do all of that again, just to have the same end result - a C-Section. At least with a planned C I go in, have the surgery and be done with it. I also just started a new job when I learned I was pregnant (in a school system). A C-section also allows me to plan and let my employer know exactly what I am doing in terms of days off.
Amy - posted on 11/06/2008
Hi Monique - I'm sort of in the same situation. I had 2 vaginal births and then had twins via c-section. My doctors however, will allow me to attempt a VBAC. I know the "rules", which is they won't induce me and for my drs, they have another 1 or 2 drs that sometimes cover for them on the weekends. So, if I do go into labor when they're covering, those drs might not "allow" a VBAC. I feel very strongly against another c-section. I had 2 panic/anxiety attacks while on the OR table and didn't enjoy any part of it. The risks for a VBAC aren't that great (something like a 1% chance of scar abruption), drs are just afraid of lawsuits. If you really feel strongly, I agree w/the others and you should try to find a dr that will allow you to try. Good luck w/your decision :) I'm trying to mentally prepare for a c-section "just in case" since there's so much time b/4 my due date....
Marisol - posted on 11/05/2008
Congrats! Your doctor cannot force you to have a c-section against your will, especially if you feel so strongly about it. But it is important that you have allowed your body to heal for at least two years, otherwise you are risking your life and your baby's life. Believe it or not some times doctors are right, and they want your best interest. As you get closer to your due date just listen to what you body tells you. I had a natural birth with my first, and believe me....it hurts too! Good luck with whatever you decide!
Madeline - posted on 11/04/2008
Congratulations!! I am also 5 1/2 months pregnant. I had a c-section the first time around due to the baby's size (10 lbs.). My doctor said that VBAC's are considered risky and therefore will not allow it. I have read a lot of information on this and there is risk either way. I say if you feel strongly about it go see another doctor. I for one am anticipating a large baby again and will stick with the c-section. Best of luck to you!
Amie - posted on 11/03/2008
If it's really important for you to try find another doctor who's willing to let you try a vaginal birth. I've never had to get one but a couple of my friends have. What they've told me is that they were allowed to try and their doctors recommended they try as C-sections are harder on the body and have a much longer recovery period. Your old scar should be fine so long as your twins are at least 2, which is how long your body takes to heal completely. You should know this though already having had one. Never having had one it's second hand information from my friends, hope it helps you with your decision though. Good luck and congrats! I'm due March 26th with my 4th. =)
Jennifer - posted on 11/02/2008
First of all Congrats! I'm also 5 1/2 months pregnant and had a C-section with my first. I also want to avoid the whole "surgery" part of the delivery. My doc said that I could try for a VBAC,but if I don't go into labor on my own before my due date that I will have to have another C-section. I guess the farther into your pregnancy, the more pressure is put on the old C-section scar and if you need to be induced or go over your due date,there is a chance of abruption. With all that being said, I've known many people that were in the same situation and had successful VBAC's. I hope the little information I have helps. Ask your doc again,just to see what the answer will be. Good Luck.