repeat c section or vbac?

Jannessa - posted on 02/22/2010 ( 14 moms have responded )

100

14

10

still stuck on wat i should do! i had a emergency c section 20mnths ago with my son due to fetal distress! would u just have a repeat c section wit this being ur last chance for a vbac(im not planning n e more yet)

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

14 Comments

View replies by

Lisa - posted on 02/27/2010

4

24

0

So much for a week to go. The night I posted the reply I had my son early hours of friday morning. 4 hours 46 mins from start to finish...so not long but OH BOY did it hurt!! My scar was fine and have a happy, healthy son!!!! Bit sore at the mo but much better than surgery and am able to pick up my daughter and have big cuddles.....good luck with your choice

Grevanals - posted on 02/25/2010

12

6

1

I had an emergency c-section 5 years ago cause i got to 6 cent and then my cervix didn't dilate any further and the bb heart beat was dropping so thats y i had it the first time and im having a repeat c-section with this one i wanted to do a natural birth with this one but the doc told me about the risk of rupturing the old scar and all the complication and then i tested positive for gestational diabetes with this one so they r expecting a much larger baby and the next thing im not having anymore after this so i said y not kill two bird with one stone and do the c-section.
but if u think u rather do the vbac then try it.

Lisa - posted on 02/25/2010

4

24

0

I had emergency c-section 2 years and 9 months ago and this one is due is a weeks time. Had c-section cos my daughter was breech, this baby is right way round so am going for the VBAC......hopefully!!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do, it's your choice. I just feel this time cos I'm NEVER having another one I'd like to try and have natural birth!!!!

Andrea - posted on 02/24/2010

120

14

12

What does your doctor say? How is your pregnancy going? I'm aiming for vbac for myself - my son will be 22 months and I know the doctors like there to be 2 years in between c-section and vaginal but everything has been going very well with my pregnancy. I hear many friends who have had both and they far preferred the experience of natural birth. Personally I HATED the recovery and can't imaging caring for my son and the newborn as well as recovering from the surgery...that's just me. Our bodies are made to push out a baby after all! Good luck...

Ara - posted on 02/24/2010

54

1

12

My daughter, Jocelyn, will also be 20 months when I deliver on March 22. I had a c-section with her as well. (I was induced for 36 hours & didn't dialate at all.) I feel so lucky to be able to count on my Mom and my Mother In Law for a week to help out with Jocelyn. She's becoming quite the handful. :) I'm worried about lifting her as well after surgery. It'll be hard b/c I'm a stay at home mom & lift her all the time. I'm thankful for all the help from my family. I'm sure it'll be stressful, as always with a little one, but atleast they'll be here to help out and entertain big sister while I'm trying to get back into being a mom with a newborn again and recovering from the surgery. Good Luck!

Jennafer - posted on 02/24/2010

12

20

1

i had a emergency c section 2 and 1/2 years ago with my twins. They were born 12 weeks premature. I have to have a c section with all my pregnancies now. But I honestly think it is better. But you should talk with your doctor more if you are unsure. Good luck on deciding.

[deleted account]

I had an emergency c with the first one - epidural didn't work properly, ventouse (sp?) didn't work and bub I was fully dilated for too long already plus registrar was going off after 30 min. due to not knowing the full reasons for the c, gynae now has advised another c-section, which I'll go with. good luck with deciding... it's quite soon after your first kid and if only 70% chance of complication free, sounds like c's the better way but that's my opinion.

Jannessa - posted on 02/23/2010

100

14

10

they said i have like a 70% chance of havin a complication free chance of labour......last time round wit my son i had a textbook labour got to 8cm dialated then ended up having my cesarean....i dont wanna have to go through that again.....my first born was 6.1 n at 36week scan this one is 5.4 the doc said its just cause i have small babies but thats another concern wit me too since this one will b smaller then my boy......

Lisa - posted on 02/23/2010

42

20

6

I am having another C even though my doctor said that I have a 90% chance of going natural. My daughter is only going to be just 17 months when I get out of the hospital and that is my only concern as well; the recovery period. This time around though they are going to use stitches which will help but I know that I still wont be able to pick her up for a while, which really sucks.



Truely the only reason that I am not going naturally is because when I had my daughter they told me that I was like a vice grip and her only being 6lb 15 oz I know that I wont be able to have this one naturally either and dont want to waste my time trying when its not going to happen.



The only one who can make the choice is you, and there is a lot to think about, yes the recovery time sucks and the addition time in the hospital sucks even more, but you need to do whats best for you and your baby.

Jannessa - posted on 02/23/2010

100

14

10

yeh i did talk to him n its still up in the air! he said if i have a vbac i have like a 1 in 2000 chance of my scar tearin n a 1 in 200 chance of loosin bub if that does happen... and if it does happen ill have to have another opp.aswell he also its my last chance for a vbac......n only reason i dont want a csect is that i have a 20month old n have to spend 2 weeks recovering... :S

Anna - posted on 02/23/2010

5

14

0

I have had a previous c-section and was looking at vbac however, in my state they dont do them.....so I was a little disappointed....wanted to avoid the major surgery deal, however it has been 2 1/2 yrs. since my last.

I would just discuss it with your doctor, to find out what he/she thinks...maybe they can help you make your decision.

Emma - posted on 02/23/2010

816

59

76

TBH the only person that can make this decision is you. If you feel better having a planned section then go for it but if you want a vbac then go for that. I know that doesn't really help but personally I would go for a vbac (if I'd have had a section 1st time around) if everything is ok but if the doctor/MW advices you to have a planned section then I'd go for that because they would only advice you on this if they thought it was safer for you and your baby. Good luck

Michelle - posted on 02/23/2010

381

12

68

I don't know, it depends on the doctor if they give you the choice. Generally if it has been that soon since you had the c-section they may not feel comfortable with you attempting the vbac cause you could rupture your uterus due to the strain of labor or other complications could occur. Talk to your doctor and they will advice you what they think you should do and what they can do.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms