Online schools??

Cassie - posted on 02/18/2011 ( 17 moms have responded )




I am looking into going back to school and looking for any information and experiences that you may have had. I plan on going into nursing, but I can't seem to find any online programs. Also if any of you have applied for military spouse tuition assistance, basically I am overwhelmed by all of the information I have come across.


Amanda - posted on 02/20/2011




The MYCAA is for spouses whose husband's are E5 and below and only for those who don't yet have an Associates. I tried to get assistance and they told me because I already have my Associates, I don't qualify. They had to change the rules last year, after the program got bombarded and they really had a mess on their hands.

A community college would be good for you. Alot of them offer at least the basic courses online. Be wary of any strictly online college. Make sure they are accreditated. Some online colleges are not, and most Universities will not accept any classes or degrees you earn from them.

You can start by trying to get Federal Aid. A FAFSA is required for all financial aid through any college, federal and state government. You need to make sure you already have your taxes done before you apply, since they need that information.


View replies by

Julia - posted on 03/03/2011




I would be careful with all online courses, I go to traditional classes (I found out the hard way I don't have the patience for online courses, I need the discipline of traditional classes)

Every professor I have has said that they don't acknowledge someone who has a degree if it was recieved online. My one professor was founder of a multimillion dollar business and has his PhD, when he was working with his business he said any resume he recieved that had an online school as that person's schooling then that resume would get thrown in the trash.

Also U of Phoenix has been under a lot of scrutiny since a dog got a bachelors degree from them.

If you can't afford day care you should look into programs at your local Community College. For instance here in SC there is what's called CAREER's it will pay for childcare. They have a similar program in Ohio but not sure what it's called. There are more resources out there than you think.

[deleted account]

I believe that Western Govenor's University has an online nursing program. Try WGU. I believe that you will still do your clinicals onsite somewhere, but it's worth a look at and it is SUPER affordable. I don't qualify for any grants or subsidize loans but it's affordable to the point where we can just pay tuition out of pocket.

Tifani - posted on 02/24/2011




goto mycaa, im getting my real estate licenses and its paid for. allied business college is where i am going and Bill Breen can help you through all the steps on mycaa and applying for the military spouse funding. Allied also offers medical field training.

Abby - posted on 02/24/2011




Sorry I'm posting again, but I just read the MYCAA fact sheet

Who is eligible for MyCAA Financial Assistance?

· Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2, and O-1 to O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserve Components in these same pay grades.

Amy - posted on 02/24/2011




i am in the same process right now, actually researched and found a school, will start when hubby deploys (soon). some schools are 100% online, and some -like local- could have mostly online courses with some on campus, or all online courses, but have proctored exams. MAKE SURE the school you choose is Regionally accredited (the best kind of accreditation). some schools are Nationally accredited, which isn't the best and have the tendency to not transfer to other schools, and employers don't always take a degree from a nationally accredited school. online college is a lot more expensive than traditional schools. many military friendly schools have special grants that lower the cost of tuition to about $250 per credit hour and pay for your other fees and books to include shipping. MYCAA only applies to an associates degree or certificate program, and will only pay up to 4k. so you will need to fill out a FASFA also. so think... an associates is usually about 64 credits X $250 = about $16,000. pretty expensive. University of Phoenix is a good one

Kaplan offers certificate programs

Many of the colleges do online degree programs where you take one course at a time for 8 weeks each (some are longer) i think you may be able to double up and do 2 at the same time. the university i chose does them 5 weeks each and that's considered full time.
I called just about every college possible and decided on Ashford University. i don't think they have an associates in health care or nursing though, i'm doing childhood education. i have registered for MYCAA and filled out my FASFA but didn't enroll yet, because i'm moving when hubby deploys and want to get situated first!

Bree - posted on 02/21/2011




Cassie, definitely check into your local schools then. As someone else said a community college is a good place to start, they offer a lot of online courses. Just be sure not to overwhelm yourself like I did haha start slow. I jumped right in and I am a mess until I get stuff done.

Tah - posted on 02/21/2011




Mycaa did change the rules, I'm thankful I got in before they put all the rules on...

Cassie - posted on 02/21/2011




Thanks for all the info ladies! It's very helpful!
@ Bree: we are current;y stationed at a recruiting district and do not have a base here to go to, thats a huge part of why I am having such a hard time finding all of the info I need, but we will be here for 2.5 more years, so I would like to get some stuff knocked out while I can without having to worry about moving and transferring it all!

Bree - posted on 02/20/2011




I am currently attending UMUC online here. The offer some classes on post but so far all of mine are online. I am able to do some labs online, Biology anyways. It's very convenient but I also don't have many options due to being in Germany. Check the Ed center on your post. They may have classes there, if so, you can look into that school's online classes.

Cassie - posted on 02/19/2011




I took online and traditional classes thru my comm college. It worked out well for me because it's more affordable and you still get a quality degree. As far as the spouse tuition assistance I'm pretty sure he has to be E5 or below and the school has to be approved. Good luck though!!

[deleted account]

Well community college will do! They have online classes. I too nave kids so I take online classes. Thank God for online classes!

Cassie - posted on 02/18/2011




I'm basically just looking to get all the basic stuf out of the way online, the english, math, A & P, nutrition, everything w/o labs and clinicals out of the way now, as I have a 9.5 month old and we cannot afford daycare for me to go to school.

[deleted account]

U should try a community college where u live. They have online classes for nursing. I wanted to go for nursing and was having a hard time too. Only like the first year would b online. After that you have labs along with your classes. Community college is the best. With moving around aloy of the classes transfer to other community colleges. Alot of these online colleges u see on Tv classes dont transfer. Good Luck!

Courtney - posted on 02/18/2011




I don't think you can take nursing online, I'm pretty sure that is a campus type of schooling only. As far as spouse tuition assistance, I use MYCAA They give you a total of 4,000 , 2,000 per fiscal year. You apply for this through

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms