Sandra - posted on 02/12/2009 ( 7 moms have responded )
**Abuse and Neglect of American Children Has Increased 134% Since 1980
**Physical Abuse Has Increased 84% Since 1980
**Sexual Abuse Has Increased 350% Since 1980
**Emotional Abuse Has Increased 333% Since 1980
**Child Neglect Abuse Has Increased 320% Since 1980
*Since 1990, 10,000+ American children have died at the hands of their parents or caretakers.
* Four children die every day in this country from child abuse and neglect.
* In 2000, over 3 million children were reported as abused or neglected in the U.S.
*80 percent of violent juvenile and adult prisoners were raised in violent homes.
* The United States annually spends an estimated $258 million on foster care, incarceration and other societal costs because of the abuse and neglect of children. This amounts to $1,460 per family, per year. Despite these high costs, the federal government invested only $10 in prevention research for every case reported.
* Survivors of abuse are six times more likely to become abusive parents.
* One in four girls and one in six boys will be sexually abused before the age 18.
* Abused children are 25 times more likely to repeat a grade.
* 75 percent of high school dropouts have a history of abuse in their families.
*45 percent of abused children become adult alcoholics.
**The safest family for a child is a home in which the biological parents are married.
**Cohabitation, an increasing phenomenon, is a major factor in child abuse.
**The incidence of child abuse decreases significantly as family income increases.
**Child abuse frequently is intergenerational.
**Child abuse is prevalent in "communities of abuse" with family breakdown.
**Child abuse is directly associated with serious violent crime.
**The lowest risk ratio for physical abuse is one in which the biological parents are married and the family has always been intact.
**Abuse is 6x's higher in the second-safest environment: the blended family in which the divorced mother has remarried.
**Abuse is 14x's higher if the child is living with a biological mother who lives alone.
**Abuse is 20x's higher if the child is living with a biological father who lives alone.
**Abuse is 20x's higher if the child is with biological parents who are not married but are cohabiting.
**Abuse is 33x's higher if the child is living with a mother who is living with a man.
** 1,500 children die from abuse each year.
**There are 140,000 injuries to children from abuse each year.
**There are 1.7 million reports of child abuse each year.
** 1 in 4 women in North America were molested in childhood.
**2 million+ cases of child abuse and neglect are reported each year in the U.S.
**An estimated 150,000 to 200,000 new cases of sexual abuse occur each year.
**There were an estimated 903,000 victims of maltreatment nationwide.
**An estimated 1,100 children died of abuse and neglect, a rate of approximately 1.6
**1 in 7 males will have been sexually molested before the age of 18.
**10 deaths per 100,000 children per year in the general populations.
**Each day in the U.S. more than 3 children die as a result of child abuse in the home.
**Child abuse is reported on average every 10 seconds.
**Approximately 3 MILLION child abuse reports are made each year.
**oNLY two-thirds of the reported cases were investigated.
**An estimated 903,000 victims were substantiated by child protective services agencies in 1998.
**Convicted rape and sexual assault offenders report that 2/3 of their victims were under the age of 18.
**Among rape victims less than 12 years of age, 90% of the children knew the offender, according to police-recorded incident data.
**Frequently, the person who sexually molests a child is also a child themselves.