Tracy - posted on 11/20/2008 ( 55 moms have responded )
I am the proud mother of the most beautiful, briliant, wonderful, charming, delightful 10 year old boy.... who happens to have ADHD. I remember taking him to the doctor before he'd started school, he is my 3rd son, so I was not new to the male toddler. VERY active, always go, go, go! So I voiced concern to his doctor that he may be ADHD, he brushed my concerns aside with "he's just an active little boy". So when he hit grade 1, his teacher expressed to me that she felt he may have attentional issues. Off to yet another doctor, in hopes of finding out once and for all, what we'd known to be true all along. Several tests later, it was confirmed. We chose to medicate, everyone has their own beliefs...
My point is this, there is such a stigma that goes along with ADHD, many believe that all kids with ADHD are behavioral, my son is not one of those. So when I found this forum, I decided that it was a good place to share the 25 Good Things About Having A.D.H.D. given to me by my son's doctor.
1. Lots of energy.
2. Willing to try things - take risks
3. Ready to talk, can talk a lot.
4. Gets along well with adults.
5. Can do several things at one time.
7. Need less sleep.
8. Good sense of humour.
9. Very good at taking care of younger kids.
11. See details that other people miss.
12. Understand what it's like to be teased or to be in trouble so are understanding of other kids.
13. Can think of different and ways to do things.
14. Volunteer to help others.
15. Happy and enthusiastic.
16. Imaginative - creative.
17. Articulate - can say things well.
18. Sensitive - compassionate.
19. Eager to make new friends.
20. Great memory
22. More fun to be with than most kids.
24. Warm and loving.
25. Care a lot about families.
Thought it would be nice to share this with the parents, who in turn could share this with their kids... they need to know that while day-to-day life can be challenging with adhd... that they do posses many qualities that make them WONDERFUL!!!