Melissa - posted on 09/27/2009 ( no moms have responded yet )
Found this recipe online
Turtle Candies get their name from their whimsical turtle shape. The combination of toasted pecans, soft caramel and smooth chocolate is impossible to resist. If you're looking for a more elegant variation of this candy, try my recipe for Turtle Cups.
Some people make their turtles with 3 pecans: 1 for the head, and 2 for the front legs. I prefer to use 4 (for all 4 legs-I guess my turtles don't have heads) but you can modify to suit your tastes.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
•18 soft caramels
•72 pecan halves (about 1.5 cups)
•5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Prepare a cookie sheet by covering it with aluminum foil and spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Arrange the pecans in clusters of 4 with each pecan pointing in a different direction (like turtle legs).
3. Place a caramel on top of the center of each cluster. Put cookie sheet in a 300 degree oven for 3-4 minutes, until the caramels have softened and mostly melted over the pecans. The tips of the nuts should still be showing.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool fully.
5. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler. Spoon the melted chocolate over the cooled caramel, being careful not to cover nut tips.
6. Allow to fully set. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week