feeling like a terrible mom

Ashley - posted on 09/14/2011 ( 11 moms have responded )

956

23

134

I feel horrible right now .... my youngest is at the hospital with my husband because she swallowed some pennies ... we got her to puke them up before she left but I feel terrible .. feeling like its my fault ... heres why .. we rearranged her bedroom a couple days ago and put up EVERYTHING that I thought could hurt her since we were taking down the crib and putting up a toddler bed (shes 28 months old) and I left a piggy bank out in the room on a little table with her night light thinking it was safe because its a kids piggy bank and because i shock it alot to get pennies out and nothing would come out so i figured if I can't how would she be able to well guess what i was wrong ... and she did and not she has puked up 3 pennies and its all my fault ..... stupid stupid

MOST HELPFUL POSTS

[deleted account]

Don't feel too bad. They swallow things. When J was about one year old, he ate a live spider. It was a green tree spider--perfectly harmless, but not the best for eating.

Another time, he sneezed while in the bathtub and a green pea rolled out of his nostril. It had been more than 3 days since he'd eating peas, so the pea had to have been stuck in his nose for at least 3 days! It's a wonder it didn't get infected....or at least stop his nose up.

My boss' child and grandchild (family company) swallowed pennies too. She didn't puke hers up though, so my boss had to sift through her poop for a few days to make sure they passed because his wife wouldn't do it.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

11 Comments

View replies by

Ashley - posted on 09/15/2011

956

23

134

thanks all of this is making me feel much better ... once she got home I felt much better ,,,, just was thinking god everything could have changed in a moment .. I mean she wast acting like she was choking .... just acting like she needed to puke which is when I put my finger in her mouth to see if she had something in there and didnt feel anything and she wasnt acting like she needed air so i was just chalkng it up to she has the tummy flu her big sister had the day before ....We had no clue she had pennies half way in her until she puked ... thanks to my finger lol .... just thinking the what if's you know and I know I shouldnt have been thinking about the ifs because the ifs will drive you NUTs lol but thanks everyone Iam glad we aren't the only ones with a talented toddler

Adrienne - posted on 09/15/2011

110

19

10

Ashley, you are in no way a bad mom. You did what you should have to make her room safe. You've just got a really talented toddler. Lol! Kids eat thing, put things up their noses, in their ears, fall and all kinds of things. It happens. We can't wrap them in bubble wrap. I ended up at the urgent care one night because my youngest had shoved a pea so far up his nose we couldn't get it out. A friend who works there happened to be on shift and couldn't stop laughing.

Ashley - posted on 09/15/2011

956

23

134

it was kinda of funny when my husband and her returned home because my almost 4 yr old gave her shit ... lol shes like no no Ari you dont eat stuff ..... and Ari just looked at her then stuck her tongue out

Katherine - posted on 09/15/2011

65,420

232

4956

Ha ha, I mean not really, but how is that going to solve anything? She's too little to understand.

Ashley - posted on 09/15/2011

956

23

134

thanks i guess the dr pulled a penny from his pocket and tried telling not to eat them and she just turned away like la de da

Katherine - posted on 09/15/2011

65,420

232

4956

Don't feel bad, my 29 month old swallowed a bunch of beads. I didn't take her to the ER or anything because I figured they would just pass through. They were very small beads. Like the kind you would sew on a costume.

She has gotten a hold of pennies too but I caught her before she choked or swallowed them. They put stuff in their mouths, it's the age. My daughter talks fluently and I've tried to explain to her she can't put non-food items in her mouth. She responds, "Ok mommy." But then still does it!


I wouldn't feel bad. It's ok.

Erin - posted on 09/14/2011

6,569

25

232

Don't be too hard on yourself. Kids do stupid stuff and hurt themselves, even when we have the best of intentions. They eat foreign objects. They fall off things etc. It happens. She's fine and that's all that matters.

Ashley - posted on 09/14/2011

956

23

134

thanks everyone ... shes home now she did great at the hospital ... now she a bit cranky because she missed her nap because of all this

Michelle - posted on 09/14/2011

1,606

10

224

Don't feel bad. That kind of stuff happens to most of us at least once. Kids eat stuff and we're not always able to stop them in time.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms