Katrina - posted on 01/09/2011 ( 13 moms have responded )
Our dog has a horrific skin condition that is not getting better despite the best veterinary care. They've done every test imaginable and we may still never know what this is. We haven't reached the point yet where we think we'll HAVE to have her put down, thank goodness, but it is bad and we are scared that we may have to make that decision within a short time-- maybe even a month or two. We did have to have the cat put down a couple of years ago, but she was very ill (fibrosarcoma) and we had already explained to Walter (4 at the time, now 6) that she was going to die, and we explained that the vet would help her so that when she died it wouldn't hurt. We don't know what to say now though-- if we do have to have the dog put down we can't say she would be dying anyway, just more slowly, because that's not true. We would only decide in that direction if we're certain her quality of life will never be good again, though. What kind of wording have any of you used in the past? Please no talk about heaven and God; we're not religious. We don't want Walter to have unnecessary worries or concerns, and we want to minimize the blow if it should have to happen.
Thanks in advance for any advice.