Daisy - posted on 04/08/2009 ( 8 moms have responded )
I am writing a research paper for my Comp 2 class about Bipolar children and the treatments they receive. With such a large group of women available I was hoping to do a survey of sorts asking a few questions to help me get an added source for my paper. The main reason I am writing this paper is to get more information on a disease that has effected my family in many ways. My son is now 11 and has been medically treated since the age of 3, started medication at the age of 4, and is up to 900 mg of lithium, 60 mg of Strattera, and 1.25mg of risperdone per day (the only reason it's not more than that is I won't allow it). Anyway, if you would be willing to answer a few questions I would appreciate it, I won't use direct names, just numbers and answers. Thank you so much for taking a look and I can't thank those of you enough that are willing to take time to answer!!!
1) What age is your child now?
2) What age did your child first get diagnosed with a mental disorder (not just bipolar, my son was first diagnosed with just ADHD at age 3)?
3) At what age did your child start taking medication, what kind of medication was it, if not taking any medication please put that down?
4) How many medications is your child on currently, what meds at what dosages are they on?
5) How much information did your doctor give you about the disorder, the medications, and alternate treatment options available? Also, how many doctors has your child had since first treated, and how many of those doctors did you feel did a good job?
6) How much outside research did you do on your own, where did you find the information (books, periodicals, online searches)? Also, what information did you find most helpful?
7) How many times has your child been hospitalized (inpatient)?
8) Have you researched or looked into alternative treatments other than medication? If so, has your doctor aided you or helped lead you in what direction to go, or where to look for the information? Where did you find the information (books, magazines, pamphlets, internet)?
I think that covers it. The paper hasn't been started yet, but it is due May 6th, so the sooner I get responses the better. Thank you so much!!!!!
(feel free to add me as a friend, I am hoping to post the paper in my notes after I complete it)