Good Day! - posted on 06/24/2010 ( 9 moms have responded )
This may be totally normal, but I was oblivious to it until I had my own child. There seems to be an unusually large number of sick or handicapped children in my area. It makes me incredibly thankful that I have a healthy child.
1. My little sister's best friend's oldest child had a brain tumor removed last year at age one.
2. A friend from high school has an 18 month old daughter that is blind, cannot sit up and barely hold up her own head. They are in the process of finding a diagnosis.
3. An acquaintance from high school has a 2 year old daughter with congenital heart disease and an extremely rare chromosomal disorder. She's had open heart surgery among many other procedures in her short life.
4. My cousin has two children with the same blood disorder. Her youngest, just 1 week old, is in the NICU awaiting a blood transfusion. Her oldest, age 5, will be having his spleen removed in about a year.
5. A very good childhood friend of mine has a one year old that had an MRI done this week, because his motor skills have been getting worse. He started stumbling and falling over when sitting up. They are awaiting results.
I know that some of you have children with health problems. But it seems like this is a rather large number of children that I know to be having health problems. Is this normal? Is it like this among the people you know?