Natural Ways to Disinfect Toys?

Brie - posted on 01/08/2009 ( 15 moms have responded )

78

5

3

I can't help but think that bleach seems so harsh and almost unsafe to use on something my baby will put in her mouth. So, I guess I have two questions...
Am I really off base in being concerned about bleach?
Are there any less "chemical", more natural ways to sanitize her toys?
Thanks! (I am really loving this board!!)

MOST HELPFUL POSTS

Amanda - posted on 02/11/2009

3

31

0

white vinegar and water is awesome.  i add a few drops of tea tree and lavender essential oils.  they are naturally antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial.  and they smell good.  i make a few spray bottles up, label them with a sharpie and keep a few around the house as an all purpose cleaner.  and youre right to not want to use bleach- a byproduct of bleach is dioxin, a known carcinogen.  the fumes are also incredibly harsh on little lungs and chlorine entering our wanter supply has contributed to massive alge blooms and the death of flora and fauna!  there are alternatives that are just as good.  better, IMHO!  if you google hommade cleaning products you will find a ton of cool recipes.  good luck!

Heather - posted on 01/22/2009

127

9

12

those steam sanitizer bags you can pop in the microwave are good for smaller toys also, stuffed toys throw them in the freezer for 24hrs

Lise - posted on 03/11/2009

56

7

2

I've been using Medela sanitizing wipes on toys. Not natural (I don't think), but a lot better than bleach. For things that are heat resistant, I use the steam sanitizer in the microwave. We are also planning to get one of those iodizer wands linked above.



Your intuition about bleach is right on. I used to work in a daycare and we bleached everything every Friday. After a couple of weeks, I started getting migraines. I now get them whenever I just get a whiff of the stuff.

Bryony - posted on 03/09/2009

53

22

10

You may not want to put plastic toys in the dishwasher or micriwave because plastic will release toxins when heated that much... There are a lot of essential oils like teatree, bergamot, and grapeseed or even peppermint that will help with germs.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

15 Comments

View replies by

Trish - posted on 05/03/2014

8

30

0

I am a mom of two young children, I use to use so many different things in my bathroom to clean. I would always use the lysol wipes to wash down toys. about one year ago I was introduced to ENJO cleaning products. Cleaning with fuzzy mitts and water for a pore deep 6 times better clean. With ENJO it removes the dirt and bacteria. harsh chemical cleaners or less harsh cleaners you are just cleaning the surface and killing the bacteria and leaving it on the surface. I looked on the lysol wipe container and it says to disinfect the surface must stay wet for 10 minutes. when i used this product it never stayed wet for that long, so I was wasting my money and time. I am so happy that a friend shared ENJO with me, my house is cleaner and much safer and my family is happier. Clean does not smell! :)

Jessica - posted on 10/11/2012

5

0

0

Hi I a news producer working on a story regarding this. Is there any NYC area (NJ or CT too) Moms or Dads who are concerned about sanitizing, how much they should do, how much is too much who would be willing to participate in a story with our TV station.



I can be reached at Jessica.Cohen@foxtv.com



Thanks!!

Julie - posted on 10/07/2012

1

0

0

I'm honestly shocked no one has mentioned this before, but Melaleuca has a whole line of cleaning products that are natural and non-toxic. They're so safe that they don't have to have safety caps on them. I ended up throwing out all of my old cleaning supplies and replacing them with Melaleuca products.



Check out the video here: http://www.melaleuca.info/?vid=6



If you're interested in ordering Melaleuca you can send me a message.

Lise - posted on 03/11/2009

56

7

2

I've been using Medela sanitizing wipes on toys. Not natural (I don't think), but a lot better than bleach. For things that are heat resistant, I use the steam sanitizer in the microwave. We are also planning to get one of those iodizer wands linked above.



Your intuition about bleach is right on. I used to work in a daycare and we bleached everything every Friday. After a couple of weeks, I started getting migraines. I now get them whenever I just get a whiff of the stuff.

Karolina - posted on 03/07/2009

4

12

0

Check out Grapefruit seed extract! it's the cat'sPJ's! my new favourite thing for literally EVERYTHING

Elisabeth - posted on 02/07/2009

1

6

0

I saw once on a cleaning show that you can use Listerine mouthwash in a spray bottle for plastic toys and using a toothbrush to get into crevices.

Jennifer - posted on 01/21/2009

13

13

2

If you're looking for more natural ways to clean things, check out "Organic Housekeeping" by Ellen Sandbeck. She has lots of tips on using things like vinegar, baking soda and other more natural things to clean up. I also read "Healthy Child, Healthy World", which is on a bigger scale, looking at everything in your house and environment. It is a bit overwhelming at first, but if you look at it as ideas on how to slowly start to move toward a more natural environment for you and your family, it's a great resource!

Brie - posted on 01/08/2009

78

5

3

Thanks!



Our dishwasher does have a sanitize option, which I didn't even think about. I think I will purchase a steam sanitizer, too. Up until now I have only been washing them using dish soap.

Sarah - posted on 01/08/2009

59

29

3

If you don't want to use bleach to sanitize toys-- which you don't really need to do anyways unless you have multiple children using them or they become soiled. You can get a steam sanitizer for small toys, or you can get a dishwasher that has a sanitize option (ok that is expensive though--- our landlord got us one).
OR you can use vinegar, and/or lemon juice to add to water to clean toys. You can use them to make natural cleaning solutions to clean your floors, counters, etc as well.
I usually use non-toxic dish soap to gently clean toys. I also use my vinegar and lemon cleaning solution-- I just put some on a cloth and wipe down toys.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms