Peanut butter allergy?

Chrystal - posted on 02/08/2010 ( 3 moms have responded )

58

17

10

When my son was about 8 or so months old I put a little bit of peanut butter on my finger from my morning toast on his lip, with no problems.
A few months later I gave him a very small cracker with a small amount of PB on it. Once again, no problems.
Shortly after that I gave him half a slice of toast with PB and no problems again.
When I gave him a full slice of toast with PB ( approx 1tsp) about 5 min later his face got all blotchy and the blotchy-ness went away and his eyes became itchy.
I gave it some time and repeated the process, starting with the tiny bit on his lip working up to the full slice of toast. He was fine until the full slice of toast, the the blotchy face appeared again.
I have no family history of allergies however there are some environmental allergies on my husbands side.
I do have an appointment with my Dr. next week but I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences like this.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

3 Comments

View replies by

Melanie - posted on 02/10/2010

34

0

5

Me and hubby had no history of allergies either but baby reacted to eggs (with hives) so skin test showed peanuts were also a problem....when he's older we'll have it checked out w/specialist to see if anything has changed but for now we are stuck reading every label and carrying epi-pen. But we've adjusted. It's just one more thing to know about. There is a big range of level and intensity of allergy so get it checked out. It is common for the reaction not to be on the first exposure to allergen. Good luck!

Chrystal - posted on 02/09/2010

58

17

10

Thanks Caitlin,

I have never dealt with a food allergy in my life so these things are new to me! I sure hope that his reaction doesn't get worse. My husband and I were talking and we figure if this is the worst reaction he gets to peanuts its not that bad considering the reactions that food allergies can cause. It is good to know that it can get worse though. I am looking forward to seeing my dr and talking to him about this.
Thanks again for your help :)

Caitlin - posted on 02/09/2010

1,915

5

171

My daughter has severe allergies to many things, peanut being one of them (dairy, egg, beef and nuts being the others). If I were you with that reaction, i'd stop feeding him peanut butter, in different people, different quantities of the food can make a big difference in the reaction. I'd probably ask your pediatrician for a skin test/blood test to check to see if it's possibly the peanut. Being one of the more common allergies, it's totally possible. I have environmental allergies, my husband has no allergies, yet our daughter has a ton of anahylactic allergies, so it is possible even without a family histaory of food allergies.



Also, be careful, because subsequent reactions can get worse than the initial reaction, and cause breathing problems. The blotchy face is a concern, because if his throat starts to swell, then the situation can be very serious. If you have any questions, I can always try to point you to some good resources, dealing with allergies has become second nature to me now!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms