Water

Sarah - posted on 03/27/2009 ( 5 moms have responded )

10

26

1

When do you start giving water to babies? I know that I should know this but for the life of me I can't remember. I thought it was at about a year but my aunt asked if she could give her some water the other day...

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

5 Comments

View replies by

Kirsty - posted on 04/03/2009

15

27

1

hello i have 2 children one is 6 and one is 5 months i give him water everyday it is fine he loves it!best to start early so they get used to it and no need for juice!

Shonda - posted on 04/03/2009

97

132

26

No water until 6 months at least! Giving your baby water can mess with their electrolytes. I heard of a baby going to the hospital because of too much water and later dying. Could be a rare case, but formula/breastmilk is the best.

User - posted on 04/03/2009

32

2

4

I was told water will not harm a baby the only worry is if they drink water, which is filler, they will not be as hungry and not get the nutriants from BM or formula they need. A little water will not hurt if it is extremly hot but htey don't need it. If my mermory serves me right I belive 9 months or so they can have water.

Chantal - posted on 03/28/2009

40

57

9

I gave my little guy water right from the start. He didn't drink much but as he is getting older he is drinking a little more. He is 5 months now.  I always offer him cool boiled water after he eats solids.

Linda - posted on 03/27/2009

36

0

8

the midwives at the hospital and anti natal told me all they need for the first 6 months is breast milk only. But as i live in a very hot place and had a almost summer baby when my baby was getting very cranky i figured it couldn't be very comfortable drinking warm milk only in this heat so i asked my doctor and he said it is fine to give him pre boiled room temperature water it cant hurt him in any way as long as its not used as a substitute for milk and that was from when he was only about a month old he guzzeled down about 100 ml and was much happier after it. I try to give him a little every now and again most of the time he just turns his nose up on it unless its a hot day then he loves it probably more thirsty than hungry.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms