After a miscarriage, how long before trying again?

Everyone is different, and some people may choose not to try to conceive again at all after suffering through a miscarriage. But for those who do decide to give it another shot, how long do you wait before trying again? What factors - emotional, physical, relational - play into your decision?

3 4

I lost my first pregnancy at 24 weeks. My doctor said we could try again after having 3 periods. Our next pregnancy was successful :) Talking to your doctor is the best, they will give you the best information.

9
3 4

I should add, I had three successful pregnancies after the first. My lost baby was a girl and then I had a boy followed by two more girls.

5 0

We tried again 2 weeks later. My dr told me I could try as soon as I wanted to. If I waited, I don't think I would have done it. The more time that went on the more I thought about what could go wrong. Luckily I got pregnant right away.

6
2 0

so when you tried rite away was everything ok with you got pregnany again

6 20

The reason your doctor tells you to wait a couple of months is because sometimes the lining of your uterus isn't ready for another embryo to implant, and may result in another subsequent miscarriage. For those of you who were lucky enought to conceive quickly, and have 'big healthy babies' that's wonderful for you, but it doesn't have any impact on the health or size of babies that go full term, it just greatly increases the likelihood of another miscarriage in the early weeks.

4
6 20

Just pointing out the facts, you don't have to like it... Doctors just want to minimise the risk of another miscarriage as much as possible.

20 0

as soon as you feel ready.... your body will be pregnant when it is ready...

3
0 26

I had a miscarriage and I never got a period my next month and was pregnant with my son. So mine wasn't even a month. I don't suggest it and we weren't 'trying' or 'trying'. But he was a healthy 9 lb-er

2
47 19

Same experience here. Miscarriage and didn't have the next period. They had given me the option to do a DNC but I was helping my mom move and put it off. Turns out the date I would have had it...I was already pregnant again, so in my case, I was glad I was unavailable...my daughter is now almost 9.

0 20

Everyone is different. I had 2 miscarriages and vowed that I would never try again but about a month after my second miscarriage I found out I was pregnant. I was really scared but excited at the same time. I did every testing possible to find out what went wrong. I had low levels of certain hormones needed during pregnancy. I did everything that my doctor told me and I had a successful pregnancy. I even told my doctor of my concerns throughout my entire pregnancy and she reassured me that she would do everything she could. If I would've lost that baby I had already decided to have everything taken out. All I have to really say is that you do what is right for you and only you. I'm so glad that I was able to figure out what needed to be done because I now have 4 beautiful daughters.

2
0 0

M happy for you. You re rite, do wat's right for yourself. :-)

0 0

I lost my unborn son as he had Edward's Syndrome just over 2 months ago, it has to be the most heart breaking and traumatic thing I have ever been through. I was told I could try again as soon as I had, had a normal cycle. BUT I am way to terrified I am quite sure I could not go through pregnancy again. I am lucky though as I already have 3 beautiful healthy children, (2 girls and a boy) but suffering such shock and loss has made me look at what I have and be thankful, pregnancy, all the testing and remembering the hurt at loosing Robin combined with diabetes is way to daunting. Plus i am 40!!!

2
0 20

after my miscarriage i really didnt think i wanted to go through that again but a couple of months later i couldnt wait to get pregnant again but it didnt go as i planned so it took me a lot longer to get pregnant the 2nd time so if ur a bit older i would say if ya can try straight away if ur younger take ur time untill ur ready....... if anyone would like to talk about there experience am always here to listen....

2
0 15

My son was only 4 months when I got pregnant with my 2nd pregnancy. So it was not a planned pregnancy. I had a miscarriage when I was 3 months long. I felt devestated, and felt sorry.We didnt start trying again until 6 months after the miscarriage, and had a healthy baby girl! Currently on my 3rd pregnancy and still so far right on track of having another healthy baby!

2
41 4

I had a MC and then waited a few months because was extremely heart broken.. Then tried, tried, and tried again but nothing.. Then finally got pregnant again but then another MC. My desire to have another baby was so strong and my heart was so weak (emotions) that I couldn't bare waiting so kept trying immediately. Finally, got pregnant again and had a beautiful baby girl.. There is no scientific timeline as to when to try to conceive again. It all depends on the hopeful mommy. That time period could drastically be altered depending on the support system the woman has.. It is best though, to wait until one menstrual cycle so to help calculate ovulation dates.

2
1 6

I would say it is an individual choice but having watched two of my grown daughters - I think you need to wait until you are emotionally over the miscarriage. Both of them got pregnant right away and both went into a depression that lasted through the pregnancy. I think (my own opinion) that emotionally they hadn't gotten over losing that first baby and needed to wait.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but I think it needs to be you not anyone else that decides whether it is time or not.

2
0 20

i was like that but thought i was ready to get pregnant but suffered post natal depression very badly after i had my daughter but thankfully got the help i needed and am a very happy proud mother of one.... best of luck to all...

1 2

My miscarriages came after having two healthy boys many years ago. After the first MC, we didn't try, but two months later MC again, before I knew I was pregnant. The Dr told me to wait 6 months to a year. We waited 1 year and MC again. After several tests and being put on fertility drugs (which made me infertile!) and getting off those, it was decided my progesterone wasn't high enough to maintain in the beginning. Got pregnant again and did horomone treatments, then told by two doctors (one using a ultrasound) that I again MC. A month later still feeling pregnant went to see doctor and I was still pregnant! They think I lost the twin to my daughter. A few scares later I had a healthy baby girl. After seeing so many people MC and reading up on it, while in my day it was 1 in 5 end in MC, now they say more like 8 in 10 MC. The change being mainly that women find out so early now and before women just thought they had a late and hard period. I recommend that if you have had more then one MC...wait a while before testing...don't put yourself through the heart ache. When it's right it will work out!

2
108 76

Having a miscarriage is difficult. Everybody needs to take their own time to heal both physically and emotionally. For me, I waited the 6 weeks that my doctor advised, plus two more weeks to ensure that my body was ready. I got pregnant almost immediately upon trying.
Having said all of that, it took me a very long time to recover emotionally from the miscarriage. This was my first pregnancy and it brought about many feelings of inadequacy and failure. I ended up talking with several different friends and my pastor, and concluded that all things happen for a reason. My doctor also said that sometimes our bodies know that there is something wrong with the pregnancy and that is why a miscarriage happens. So, I was thankful to know that it wasn't anything that I had or hadn't done.
My advise is talk to a trusted friend about it, talk with your partner about it. Be honest with the way you feel, and take healing steps towards trying again.
Good luck!

2
8 13

yes Marian, you put into words better than I could, but so much exactly how it was for me... and I am so blessed with those I have now... cheers

0 0

I'm 26 years old with a healthy 5 year old son . I just miscarried for the first time last week. I want to have another baby so bad but now I'm terrified. My doctor said I can try again as soon as I want but I'm still grieving . My best friend had 5 mc's in a row and is now 6 months pregnant . I don't want to look at her and think that will happen to me and reading some of your posts gives me hope. I hope I'm blessed with healthy pregnancy soon . I dream about a baby . I don't know of it's a boy or girl but I can hear the baby cry in my dreams

1
24 0

Hi I lost my son at being six months pregnant due to the fact that I was diagnose with a weak cervix at the last minute. I constantly have dreams that I still end up delivering a baby on my expected due date of this year, even still feeling little movement in my stomach I guess I know my son is gone but my mind and body hasn't came to terms with it yet. Me saying this I just want my son back so bad. My doctor keeps telling me to wait until this summer but I want to try to get pregnant again before that so I can have my child at the end of this year. So give me your opinion on this, I already have a 14 year old from a previous relationship.

47 0

I had a miscarriage when I was 4 weeks pregnant. Instead of doing a d&c I opt to let my body heal naturally. Exactly one month later I found out I was pregnant. I was terrified up until the day I gave birth to a 9lb 14oz baby girl. We wasn't trying to get pregnant because we was still hurting and scared but we weren't trying to prevent it either. I had a period two weeks after my miscarriage and pregnant two more weeks later.

1
0 0

glory to GOD congratulations to u may this child bring u lots of love joy happiness an fullfillment in your life this is a miracle baby always give god thanks for her godbless k.a

0 0

I didn't know I was pregnant during my first miscarriage ( I have had 3) i was only a month along all 3 times. I eventually just gave up and haven't been able to get pregnant since. I figure God will let me have a baby when it's time.

1
0 0

My first child was my 7th pregnancy. I have had 10 miscarriages and two kiddos. :) God has a plan and sometimes I wonder what His plan for me, but I always have faith that He will take care of me and our babies. I know the ones I lost are in Heaven and I ask them to pray for me. :) God bless you.

5 1

I had a miscarriage in January and I gave birth to my first child in November that year. Great joy for us all but I never forgot my first pregnancy. My next chilld was conceived with no problems but the third ended in miscarriage again. Very sad but I had my two youngsters to focus on. After a cleansing visit to a naturopath I conceived again and went on to have two daughters after the two boys. We celebrated our blessings and never regretted anything. Everyone is different, in our case, it worked out okay. We now have 6 beautiful grandchildren.

1
0 0

what is a naturpath? (murriettapoms@yahoo.com)

34 0

No need to wait many weeks. I read an article in WebMD that women who conceive within six months after a miscarriage are less likely to miscarry again or experience other pregnancy-related complications when compared with women who wait for longer periods of time. More @ http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20100805/study-no-need-delay-pregnancy-after-miscarriage

0
0 0

I wanted to say BE STRONg!! I had 4 healthy pregnancys in a row healthy 8 7 6 and 4 year olds now but I reciently was diagnosed witha blighted ovum and It ripped my heart apart. As sad as I am I plan to try again in July or August. I have decided for myself that everyone of my children are worth the pain just for them to get here. I never had any trouble with any of my other pregnancys however I did have the Miren afor the past 4 years with no cycle and had it removed in Dec only to concieve in Feb I think women should wait a little longer if they are in same situation following Mirena removal simply because its the only iud or birthcontroll that messed me up like this.

0
1

How long do we need to wait to have sex after a two month miscariage

0
1,295 0

Barring any unusual medical circumstances, it's fine to try again as soon as you feel ready. I had one period between my first miscarriage and my first successful pregnancy. I had six periods between my second miscarriage and my third successful pregnancy. It's really important to consider your emotional state though. Grieving the loss of pregnancy while trying to conceive can be very difficult, especially if you have another miscarriage.

0
2 0

i just had a MC 2 days ago and ii just want to know how long should i wait to try again im 36 and i have 6 kids already but my finace dont someone please help me.

0
0 0

Wondering if you got pregnant again. I am 38 years old with 6 kids and just found out That I am probably having a miscarriage. We are really sad and wondering what to do. We were so excited.

40 20

Wait. Go ORGANIC for a month at least. Then try.. Glyphosate, injected into GM soy and corn and sprayed heavily on soy, works by stripping any living organism of its vital nutrients and kills it. What do we think it does to us when we eat it? To our babies? GM ingredients are now in 70% of our food. Go ORGANIC. My friend did and was pregnant the month after and carried to term. look up "Genetic Roulette" free on youtube
From a Mom who also lost a baby

0
0 0

We miscarried at 10 weeks july 14 but, we are tried it again right away i cannot bring back my baby but, i know that god has something in-store for us this may sound crazy but about week after found out we were pregnant i had a dream that i was playing with my son on the mat on the floor this gives me hope especially because, just last night i had another dream that i was holding my daughter. and we think we are pregnant again so i m taking a test in a few days don't give up

0
0 1

As someone who speaks from experience (unfortunately), I would say to let the body heal for 3-6 months because after a miscarriage you tend to still feel "pregnant" for a few weeks after, depending on each individual circumstances. I would say do not let a miscarriage put you off trying for another pregnancy, I honestly believe it is God's/natures way of lettting you know something was wrong either with the baby or the mother just was not totally prepared for the 9 months of pregnancy. Pregnancy is a complex process with the first 12 weeks being the most crucial so the mother needs to be relaxed, stress free and above all, healthy. Everything happens for a reason, a miscarriage is a shock to anyone who has been through it, but there are brighter days and when you finally do get pregnant, you will find greater joy as you know just how big a miracle that life you created really is. I wouldn't buy any baby clothes, food or prams until I actually delivered by first baby such was the trauma of my miscarriages. Tell only close family until after 12 weeks as the more people know the harder it is, should a miscarriage occur. Good luck, and enjoy practising to make that special baby.

0
1 0

What a great response. Thank you for sharing. I have had two MCs within a year, and am hopeful that I will be a mom again to a little one in the future.

0 17

I has 2 miscarriages in a row both at 11-12 weeks
I was told to try straight away after first mc, bad move
The 2nd pregnancy after one period after mc
Ended being more complicated! I had a scan
At 7 weeks they thought i had an etopic
Twin pregnancy! Had an op found out it was a
Ovarian cyst growing 1-2 cms a week
The baby on the otherside was small and not
Looking good at all! Baby died 5 days after op
My god i was sooo sick after that baby died
I had to wait for obstretrician to operate
Again the 6 day wait was hell!i was
Sooo nauseas and upset, Had just
Had one op now had to go back in to
Get a curette plus the cyst removed :(
Then another dr turned around and sais
Should not have got pregnant so quickly after
First miscarriage! Now wish i hadnt as i was
Sooo wrecked emotionally and physically
I am now pregnant again one year later
And pretty scared only 6 weeks sooo hoping
All goes well this time!

0
0 0

I had a miscarriage in august 2008, i tried taken in again but it didn't come until oct 2010. i had my gal 2011 n my boy nov 2012. i give God d glory.

0 25

My first pregnancy was a mc, I was 7 weeks. My doctor told me to wait 3 months to try again. My husband and I decided not to try, but not to use protection either. If God wanted it to happen then it would. 2 months later I found out I was 6 weeks pregnant. I had a beautiful, healthy baby girl. Do what feels right to you.

0
0 0

I lost my second pregnancy at 5 weeks in Feb. and by April I was pregnant again and I am due in January! It was emotional for the month in between but everything is going fine because they put me on progesterone very early on in the pregnancy to make sure I didnt lose this one as well. I am now 15 weeks along.

0
0 20

I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks.. we started trying again right after, and about 2 months later I got pegnant with my son and had no issues with my pregnancy.. now he is 5..

0
0 0

I had my first miscarriage in the middle of an across country move. I didn't even know I was pregnant or that that was what had really happened until later. I had two boys at the time two and under a year so I didn't try again. Ended up pregnant about two years later with boy #3. My last miscarriage is the one that I can't get over. I found out right after my husband had had a vasectomy that I disagreed with that I was pregnant with a set of triplets. I ended up losing them and there is no trying again. :0( They would be 5 this year and starting school. :0(

0
0 0

After my miscarraige, our doctor told us to wait 3 months. We did and voila! 3 months later we were pregnant and Benjamin is the most amazing child :)

0
0 12

3 months it happened to me

0
13 9

My first pregnancy was a miscarriage in Sept. 1984. I had my first son in Nov, 1985. I wasa bit nervous the first 4 months of my pregnancy. Watched what I ate, did, ... but I had a health boy 3 1/2 weeks early. You have to be emotional ready cuz it can mess with you emotionally and physically. Im glad my son arrived when he did. Now I have 3 great boys and im so happy and proud of them.

0
6 0

I had a MC in January of this year. I was very upset but God knows how to answer prayers!! I got pregnant again this march and I am due in December!!! Can't wait to see the little one! :)

0
87 12

I miscarried my first pregnancy and my Dr told me to wait one menstrual cycle and once I had a period physically I would be fine to try again, we started trying right away but it took 6 months for the second pregnancy. I think it just depends where you are emotionally on it, for me I struggled emotional until I got pregnant again and then with the second pregnancy it was scary the first trimester but once I was into the second trimester I was hardly even thinking about the miscarriage anymore. I feel like getting pregnant again soon was what I needed to get over my first miscarriage, but everyone is different. I got pregnant a 3rd time, this one not planned and ended up miscarrying on that one too and it was still really sad, but not so bad to handle for me that time because it was unplanned and we were in no place financially to support a second child and had no insurance, but when we were ready for a second one I got pregnant the first month we tried.

0
8 13

my first every pregnancy ended in miscarriage... I just philosophised that "that particular" pregnancy wasn't meant to be, natures way of saying "there's something wrong here" .... and tried again, and resulted in the birth of my beautiful eldest daughter.
Then 3rd pregnancy - miscarry. 4th pregnancy gorgeous 2nd daughter.
5th pregnancy - miscarry again.... 6th pregnancy wonderful 3rd daughter....
By this stage I knew to accept the sad times with the wonderfully happy times & realised nature sends us what it wants us to have.
Thirty-six years after my 1st miscarry I am now the happy G'ma of 4 little boys and my life is truly blessed.....
For those of you who suffer miscarriage - use your inner strength to pull through... my blessings to you all

0
4 4

My friends Mum had the same problem and Im no doctor but these miscarriages could have been boys & your body rejecting them some women cant carry boys due to certain issues very interesting that you ended up with 3 girls and had the miscarrys inbetween

3 19

I miscarried in September 1997 and was pregnant by the end of November 1997 my daughter was born August 28 1998.

0
4 0

I started trying right after my next period following the mc. I was pregnant two months later. I was so sad when I miscarried, but I am now thankful everyday that my daughter was born...and 4 more healthy babies after that (6 total). Good luck!

0
1 0

I had a miscarriage with my first baby. I was so devastated and depressed for the longest time and kept looking for reasons to blame myself a miscarriage is very hard to handle. I got pregnant again about 6 months after the miscarriage. I had a slight problem with the placenta blocking the birth canal for a while and it was at the point where they were going to schedule a C-section because they were going to check again in a week and if the placenta hadn't moved it was going to be scheduled. Well, the next week they checked and it had moved a little and then I was able to have a natural birth. When I had the miscarriage they didn't tell me to wait before conceiving again. But I guess if you don't wait a while there is a greater potential of a high risk pregnancy.

0
0 0

Ive had 5 mcs each one I was bleeding at 7 weeks along never made it to 2 full months had all the pregnancy syntoms except movement or ultrasound I even had eptopic pregnancies as well so its very heartbreaking and painful to get bad news for the last 8 years now im 17 days late for my period and done been to the hospital twice both are negative so I dnt fall for "ITS NORMAL TO BLEED IN THE FIRST TRIMESTER " Its all a bunch of BS. Im currently 17 days late and its been nearly 4 years since my last miscarriage and it sucks knowing your body hates pregnancy

0