Is it better to have a full or an empty stomach when going for an ultrasound?

Is there any difference to getting an ultrasound when your stomach is full or when it's empty?

12 22

ask your dr. my first baby they wanted my bladder full and eat a small meal this time they wanted me to eat a small meal and empty my bladder so call and ask your dr before you go in since each dr is different

1
692 37

Stomach really doesn't matter as much as bladder and then, they usually wwant you empty. I had to have monthly 3-d ultrasounds with my last baby and they always wanted my bladder empty.

0
16 0

It doesn't matter if you eat or if you don't eat. They might make you drink water or urinate but thats pretty much it. Hope that helps. Good Luck. ALso check out my website www.beyoncespregnant.com

0
33 23

It depends on you and your baby. Some will recommend that you do it because the nutrients from the food will make your baby be more active than if you do not eat. Others really have no preference. I see a specialist for my current pregnancy and they recommend that I not only eat something before I come in but eat something sweet. This is to promote movement of the baby for all the required testing that they have to do. Out of my two sons I have had close to 30 US and 9 different techs doing them. My sister is a US tech and just got out of college and said that the way that they teach them is to recommend eating before the US. Otherwise there is a chance that your baby may not do all the necessary movements that they look for in things like a Bio Physical Profile and it could make them think something is wrong when really nothing is.

0
311 26

I was told and had a full bladder, otherwise I ate normal the morning of my u/s with my first. Though he was being stubborn and I had to drink a caffeinated soda and eat a doughnut so we could see the gender. I agree though, nothing too heavy, you don't want to feel fuller than you have to especially since you'll have to have a pretty full bladder for it.

0
2 23

It's best to have a full bladder

0
33 23

A full bladder depends on how far along you are in your pregnancy. If you are in the early few months they do recommend one. After the 5th month not all US techs require it because of the size of the baby. I am at 8 months and they actually prefer me to go to empty out before they do the US.

9 17

Neither! I think it's best to eat something small, just enough to wake up the baby. If you have a full stomach the baby is more apt to be asleep and if you have an empty stomach you may find it more uncomfortable and the baby will probably be sleeping.

0