Between raising your children, working, and managing your home, how do you carve out time for yourself?

0 0

As a single mom, making time for myself is never easy and I have to constantly remind myself to do it. Most days it's the hour or two I spend reading, meditating(yes I meditate haha) or watching a movie before bed. Other days it's the 90 minutes I spend at Bikram Yoga class.

When I have extra money and time I treat myself to a "party of one" adventure like a trip to Atlantic City, a spa day or dinner and a movie by my lonesome.

1
0 0

Being a single mom, I've always found it a challenge to find a balance where I can nurture myself, and take care of my own needs. When my daughter was a baby, I never left her with a babysitter and brought her everywhere with me. My friends were always very supportive of this, and so my "me time" evolved into having friends over to drink herbal teas and watch movies after she was tucked into bed at night.
Over the years I've come to embrace the early mornings, before she wakes up. It's quiet and the whole world is still and calm for that brief time. This is my "me time"....when I nurture myself and practice meditation and yoga poses to help me focus and prepare for the busy day. Sometimes, I make a pot of strong coffee and sit down to write, blog, and just center myself.

1
0 0

My time for myself is before everyone gets up for the day. I wake up super early, make some coffee and enjoy the quiet. Then, late at night when everyone is asleep I get my second round of quiet time. Otherwise, it's go time all the time!

1
8 12

It is so difficult finding time to myself. I try to relax and watch tv or a movie after my son is in bed. Maybe even a beer! Sometimes I leave work early (don't tell!) if I need to run to the store or something, because it is so much easier to go by myself. I'm not sure that that counts as me time. And when I do have time to myself, it is difficult to not feel guilty. I feel like I should be doing something else. It is hard to enjoy.

1
0 0

To make time for myself I ignore the important things like doing laundry, or dishes or paying bills. Sometimes you just have to ignore the "necessary" to give yourself a moment of solace. Also - sleeping is so overrated!

0
8 0

That's a great question! I've been a single mom for four years now and I've learned that I have to schedule time for myself. Since I have the children 24/7, I've learned my sanity depends on exercise and meditation. So, I try to take an hour each school day to exercise. I do yoga, pilates, bike or walk. I meditate each night after the kids are asleep—helping to ground me, focus on gratitude and relax.

0
0 63

What is this 'time for myself' that you speak of?! It's in scarce supply, honestly, but I remind myself that in (a few short) years to come my kids will be off conquering the world on their own, and I'll be left with the sound of crickets and too much food for dinner. I do stay up later than I should to savor a glass of wine, surf my favorite blogs or catch up on my embarrassingly overloaded DVR queue.

I also snatch little pockets of time whenever I can. There are days when my kids go hang with their dad for two hours; it doesn't seem like much in the span of a week, but it's plenty of time to grab a coffee and settle in at Barnes & Noble or stroll the local second 'antique' place. I always feel recharged after that.

0
0 0

Well, it's almost 2am and I am up late answering these questions while I anticipate the morning to start with a huge pot of coffee! Lol! Years ago when I became a single Mom of two I figured out what truly made me happy and what was an amusing time suck. I prioritized accordingly. My house is never spotless or as organized as I want. The list of movies and shows I want to watch is always growing. I am okay with all of this because I try to focus on the priorities... not the distractions.

When I realized I can make the time to be happy I found the time to make that happen. It made me become a better and happier Mom. Though, I still long for a houseboy to take care of all my chores so I can reach ultimate happiness.

0
0 0

Mommy time is always very important even if it's hard to come by. I try to make an effort to get personal things done, whether it's grocery shopping or getting a manicure, while Peanut is with his dad. I also try to get some Mommy time in after Peanut goes to bed. There are always a million things to do around the house but sometimes, I think it's more important for me to recharge my own batteries by relaxing.

0
3 37

Quality time is a rare commodity in my life, but I attempt to steal time for myself whenever I am able! While it is a challenge to do so, I secure a sitter for the boys and treat myself to a day out with friends or simply schedule a massage. Due to my work with middle school students, the stress level is insurmountable, and I often feel like ripping the hair out of my nose by the time a break is available to me. I can not pinpoint the last time I was able to enjoy a book in its entirety, and often have to make up my own endings to those I have started, but never completed. If given the opportunity to really take advantage of rest, I would schedule mini vacations here and there to regroup, rethink, rejuvenate and renew myself so that I could become a better mom, friend, sister and leader

0
0 0

Because I live with my parents, and they have domestic helper which is a common practice in my country, I don't have to do much of house chores such as heavy cleaning or cooking. Yes, I still do some cleaning on my own and occasionally I'll cook something but not the heavy stuffs like I did when I was still married. Between being a single mom who just recently work from home, I make sure I spare some times to treat myself. Luckily, here in Jakarta you can get a relaxing hair spa treatment at a beauty salon for under $5. That's my alone time plus it is so relaxing. Other than that I’ve been doing power walking early in the morning and truly enjoy that as part of my quiet time before the city starts to get really busy. Just recently, I joined a gym and to me besides the fact that I’m taking care of myself by getting fit, it also nourish myself emotionally. After my son goes to bed, that's when I usually get some free times to blog, read other blogs, etc. Also, since I moved back with my parents and family after my divorce, they help me out a lot and allows me to go meet friends for coffee or even girls night out.

0
0 0

It's hard, but working at home on my own during the day does feel like time for myself in some way, because I'm doing work that I enjoy. I try to keep evenings for myself and my partner, and every Monday morning I sneak off for a game of netball!

0
0 0

I've learned to let things go! I can't always have clean counters and the laundry isn't always put away. But every night, before bed, those few hours of peace and quiet are mine and mine alone. I make sure of it.

0
0 0

I'm also finishing up a bachelor degree in Education and Special Education, and I just bought a home I am remodeling, so the time for myself is very limited. This is a crucial part of finishing up some long term goals, so there is no room for slacking.

Some days I simply have to accept that I've done all the productive things I am able to do that day. When my son isn't home for the weekend, I make sure to just take some time to just be a woman with her own hobbies and interests. I try to take off the various hats I wear and do something just because I want to. That might mean going fishing by myself, sitting at a bonfire in the backyard, or visiting friends.

Since I work at home and go to school online, I do have some freedom to manipulate my schedule. If all else fails, I just step away from everything for the day, or even just a few hours.

0
0 25

Try to get up early before the kids to sit, sip on some coffee, wake up, listen to music and get into the Word with my Lord. After they are in bed, take a bath at least every other week and read a good book. That is my escape, a good book. I try to once a month or so, have a night out with friends and just enjoy other adults.

0
0 0

Making time for myself is always a challenge. I'm fortunate enough to have a very involved ex-husband who has 50% custody of our daughters, which gives me greater opportunity to do things "just for me"; sadly I still struggle and usually use my "personal time" for playing catch up!

I do my best to schedule in things just for me. Often my to-do list includes things like yoga, going for a run, or hanging out with girlfriends. Scheduling it in helps to remind me to make myself a priority.

0
0 0

It's very tricky to be honest but as I work for myself I am lucky in that I can be a bit more flexible with my working hours and when a friend wants to socialise during the day, I can do that and then make up the hours elsewhere. I share custody of my son with his dad and we live around the corner from each other. On the days he takes our son, I try and make sure I meet with a friend, go to the cinema or do something I otherwise can't do when I have my boy.

0
0 0

I'd like to say it's a matter of superb organizational skills, great prioritizing, and a helpful support network. The reality? I don't sleep much... And I've learned I can't sweat the small stuff.

0
0 22

One of the reasons I live in Los Angeles is because my parents are here, and they are more than happy to watch the kids for me when I want to have adult time with my friends. I also stay up later than I probably should to enjoy a little time to myself each and every day, even if it's just 15 minutes. The girls sometimes go on vacation with my parents, and I'll take a few vacations days just to catch up on household chores and enjoy the quiet!

0
7 70

I have to be "on" 24/7. But anyone might lose it if they never had time for themselves. I'm lucky to have a little boy who seems to understand that, most of the time. I play my guitar, and he loves to listen. If I want to put everything down and just watch a movie, I let him have a vote. If I want to read a book, he gets one of his favorites and sits next to me. It's a pretty sweet deal.

0