Can you recommend a children's book or series that's great for summer reading? Please include the ages it's appropriate for.

2 0

My little one is currently obsessed with Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes. She is just shy of two years and adores listening to the story of Pete as he keeps movin' and groovin' down the street in his brand new white shoes. He encounters some pretty serious messes along the way; but, no matter what, it's all good! And if your little one loves this book, there are a few more Pete stories that you can add to your collection!( Parental Warning: You will get these catchy Pete tunes stuck in your head!)

3
2 0

We love a lot of the Barefoot Books for our 4 and 2 year old children. An especially great children's book for summer reading is "Playtime Rhymes for Little People." It is fun and since I"m located in Phoenix, we need options for the extremely hot hours (from around 10 am - 8 pm) and this sing-songy book allows us to make up new activities as well as a CD for car rides or fun with music

2
0 0

I love coming up with a summer reading list each year based on the interests of my child and his/her reading level. Drawing on reading lists from teachers, the local library, and browsing the bookstore, we make a list that is challenging, exciting, and rewarding.

Younger children should have the opportunity to try loads of new picture books over the summer. Get a library card if you haven't already. Start with authors like Mercer Mayer, Maurice Sendak, Crockett Johnson, Dr. Seuss, Leo Lionni, Eric Carle, and other favorites.

Great books and series for older children (5 & up):
Commander Toad series
Anything by Roald Dahl
‘Where The Mountain Meets The Moon’ is a new favorite
Enid Blyton's series, The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree, and The Folk of the Faraway Tree
The Magic Treehouse Series
Anything by Beverly Cleary or EB White
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
The Mysterious Benedict Society

1
0 0

If you're a blogger or if you want to fill you kids in on blogging you could read My Mommy is a Blogger. It's on Amazon and has good reviews.

1
0 0

My son is 7 and just started reading the Magic Treehouse series! He loves them and loves that they are numbered- so he wants to read them all!!

1
0 80

We love the Imagination Station series created by Adventures in Odyssey. There are 6 chapter books in all (so far). Each book has been such a treat for my boys, especially my 8 year old son. We love them because each book takes it's readers through a period of history that makes it exciting and definitely adventurous while focusing on God. I am finding that these books are helping my boys to shape their biblical world views.

0
2 11

My son, 6 years old, is an avid reader, and has discovered the Hardy Boys series of books, Goosebumps, and the like. One series that I've been reading to him at night (a chapter or two at a time) is what we call the Secret series, starting with "The Name of this Book is Secret" by Pseudonymous Bosch. We're on the 4th book now. It's a little on the older side of things, but he loves the mystery and intrigue in the writing. My daughter, 3, is enamored by the "Elephant and Piggie" series of books by Mo Willems.

0
0 1

My son loves the Warrior series. He started reading them last year (in 3rd grade) and I think they are targeted, based on reading level, for 9-12yr olds. There are six books in each series and they are all about cats. There is another series called Seekers about bears. Great books, not too long, and not too short either...http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/warriors-erin-hunter/1100015311?ean=9780062102393

0
6 0

Selected works by Ray Bradbury
Percy Jackson (8 and up: way up) Read the Greek myths first.
Book of a thousand days (11 and up) Starts slow; girl empowering.
Anything by Tamora Pierce (10 and up) Magic and chivalry.
yes, anything by the irrepressible Roald Dahl ! (any age)

0
0 0

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. It's a great stand alone book or as part of the series. It's a longer novel for young adult (10+), but would be a great family read for younger kids (8+)

0
0 0

My children follow the Reading Workshop method of teaching and we think it's wonderful. The children choose "just right books" that they can successfully read themselves. Here is a wonderful list of book series for each reading level. http://www.scribd.com/doc/93692687/Favorite-Series-Levels-author-Names

0
0 0

Summer is a great time to read around a theme. With a few months free to focus on a set of books, why not focus on a book series, time period, genre, or even set a reading challenge. My teen literature group members are reading through the Newberry award winners. My family has spent summers reading the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder (and cooking foods and making crafts themed around that era.) We also read the Rick Riordin Percy Jackson series one summer, and the Narnia books a different summer.
One summer, we read Treasure Island, lots of pirate themed picture books, like How I Became a Pirate and Edward and the Pirates, and we spent the summer making pirate boats, visiting the beach, "digging for treasure," and playing pirates (dressing up, sword fighting, saying, "Aarrgh!" every chance we could...)

0
0 0

A great kid's book, just published, is "On My Way To The Bath" by Sarah Maizes. It's a wonderful story about Sarah's daughter, Livi, who finds bath time boring. On her way to the bath, Livi manages to find creative ways to stall for time. Ultimately, she does take her bath and then, doesn't want to get out!

0
0 0

My girls (ages 2, 4, and 6) fell in love with the stories of Tum Tum and Nutmeg. You can read my review of the series here http://www.teachingstars.com/2012/04/24/tum-tum-and-nutmeg/

0