Can you stop nursing for a few days and then start again?

There are a number of different complications that could lead a mom to rethink her decision to stop nursing, but is it possible to switch back? Moms, weigh in.

26 34

Absolutely! It might take some hardwork to build up your supply again and depending on the reasons for stopping, you might need some professional help from a lactation consultant or a ABA counsellor.

But the answer is YES!!!

5
3 16

You can but it would take time and patience and possibly some herbal supliments. There is a great book called Making More Milk and The La leche League has a great book too that can answer all your questions.

2
59 12

I wouldn't recommend it. I had to stop because my son was hospitalized with the upshot being diagnosed with a secondary lactose intolerance (temporary issue) and having to take formula for about 5 days. It was hideously hard trying to keep up the supply while still trying to get on with the taking care of he and his sister. I guess if you are away on vacation and can still pump a little each day and don't have other things you need to get on with.
As the others have said it is not impossible just a lot of work. Also, one thing I have heard time and again - if you have a good to abundant supply it is always easier to reinstate it whereas if your supply is an issue to begin with it is probably not a good idea to rock the boat as it is much harder to restart from a disadvantaged place. Even with taking supplements or medicine you probably needed a good supply to start with.

1
6 15

Yes

1
0 0

I am a mother of 2 and I was told i could i went 4 days with out nursing or pumping and when i went back to it my milk was gone and the baby didnt like the nipple anymore because the bottle was easiier for her to use. i would say not to stop but every womans body is different so this may not happen to you

0
279 9

Yes absolutely! It takes months for your supply to 'dry up' completely. Lots of frequent feeds are the best way to build up your supply again.

0
6 49

How old is the baby, are you able to pump, is this your first child? It is possible but I wouldn't recommend it unless you were pumping to keep up production. Even if other people are able to stop cold turkey for a few days and then start back up, you don't know their BF history and it might not be the same for you. Stopping abruptly could cause a drop in production that could be difficult to get back or not come back at all, and it could cause engorgement, plugged ducts, or infection like mastitis.
I wouldn't recommend it without exploring other options first or with out more information.

0
101 48

Once my flow was well-established I haven't had any problem with stopping & restarting. (I'm actually at a point where I'd be happy to stop nursing, but the supply is always still there even if I go away for a few days.)

I had some difficulties getting the flow up initially. I wouldn't have dared to take a day off in those first few weeks. Some women who have a more abundant flow naturally might be able to.

0
23 20

I have gone away a few times, with both of my children. I've been gone for up to 4 days and had no problem at all with supply upon returning. In fact, it was a major relief to nurse the few times that my pump did not work and I became engorged.

-1
27 4

The lactation consultant I know says you can stop for about three weeks and pick it up again. She doesn't recommend more than that.

-2
162 4

I do it all the time, due to the fact I make too much milk which causes frequent engorgment and painful feeding.

-3