Is it common for breastfed babies to use pacifiers?

Did your breastfed baby use a pacifier? At what age did you introduce it to them?

63 77

I'm still nursing my son, he'll be 1 on Monday. I tried to introduce him to the paci when he was 6wks old but he wouldn't take it. I guess he'd figure that he'll use me as a paci & thats what he did. It was kinda hard, especially when he started teething, so he would bite me sometimes, but now he doesn't do that so much. I enjoyed my mommy & baby time with him & after a while, my husband & i didnt even think about a pacifier anymore.

2
72 9

that is exactly what i did when our daughter was born. i tried to see if she would take a pacifier but she just pushed it out with her tongue and didnt care for one months after also. I just figured it was one less thing to keep track of and wash. Me and my sister didn't like pacifiers and neither did my husband or his siblings so it seemed like it made sense that my daughter wouldn't care for one either.

1 16

I breastfed all 4 of my kids for at least a year and all 4 had a pacifier from day one in the hospital. It was never an issue. The older two both quit the paci by about 2 1/2 or so. The fourth one quit using it after six months or so. The third is supposed to get rid of her pacis when she turns 3 tomorrow but she's also been the most attached to them so we'll see how that goes lol

1
85 27

our government guidelines here (in NZ) dont recomend introducing pacifiers until at least after a month if you are going to so that breastfeeding is established. Having said that I had an 11pounder that absolutely LIVED at the breast for the first few months (and an 11 month old to look after) I used formula top-ups for about a month, but didnt use a pacifier as I could find no good reason to introduce them - the theory that they prevent SIDS is controversial in that there is a higher risk of SIDS when the pacifier is taken away (I have lost 3 family members to SIDS so am a little paranoid about this). My wee man is now 11 months old and still breastfeeding with solids - and eating like a horse lol but is all in proportion, just in the top percentiles :-). I have a lot of friends that did choose to use pacifiers and have heard the dramas they had either trying to get rid of them or when the manufacturer no longer made a certain brand and I am soo please I didnt have any prolems like that... but I guess its like anything - do your research, and do what is comfortable and what works for your family....

1
6 12

Our four month old uses one and has since our third night home from the hospital! He was a good nurser from the start, though, so I know this wouldn't work for every baby. When we got home from the hospital, we tried to go without for the first couple nights, but he wanted to suck suck suck all night so we decided to try it (just to get some rest). Problem solved. He still has the need to suck quite a lot and enjoys himself a nuk much of the time. When he starts spitting it out regularly it's actually my signal that he wants the real deal - and he wants it now!

1
18 65

I'm still breastfeeding my 10 month old daughter and she uses a pacifier. I was against them in the beginning but they have saved my life. I was exhausted she wanted to suck all the time. And I couldn't be a human paci. She was already sleeping in our bed and I was sleeping very well because of that. But since we introduced a paci, she moved to her bassinet and is now sleeping in her own bed. She has been a lot happier since we found one she likes which makes me a happy momma.

1
2 0

I tried to give my LO a paci a couple of times since she was 5weeks and she never took to it. At times I wished she would so i didnt have to pull out my breast everytime she was fussing but I am happy now that we have got this far without it (4mos) Its one less thing I will have to worry about later. :)

0
1,890 18

Not my kids. I tried with my daughter and she never sucked on it longer than 60 sec. if at all. Started with-in the first week and kept trying herre and there for months. She nursed till 17 mo. though. Now I have 13 week old son and he is the same way. My kids just aren't fans of plastic in their mouths - binky's, bottles, teethers - none of it. Funny enough my hubby and I never liked them as babies either, so maybe its genetic -Lol

0
83 27

My first never did, I waited about 4 weeks before trying it, and he was never keen (so I ended up being the dummy!!). My second I was going to try the same approach, but our first night home from the hospital he just wanted to suck and suck all the time even though he was full, and ended up making himself sick. So I gave him a dummy and that sorted him out. At 3 months he is a happy and committed little dummy sucker. And long may it last! I have certainly found it has made him much easier to settle as he isn't relying solely on me for comfort.

0
8 23

no, neither of my kids did. One is two and half and the other is nine months. My son and daughter would suck on my knuckle but that only lasted about a month.

0
76 7

My daughter did use a paci.. and I had to search high and low for one she liked. My son who is 11 weeks old has tried 4 different paci's and won't take to a single one. I was the human paci for a while.. now he's just wanting to bf when he's actually hungry..
I was able to break my daughter of hers when she was a little over a year old. Basically when we introduced her to a sippy cup is when the torture began. lol

0
5 40

My older two children took pacifiers and LOVED them, but my first I only nursed (and supplemented at the same time) for about four weeks and I think I introduced a pacifier around 2 weeks, but it could've been earlier...that was almost 11 years ago now. My second child had such a forceful suck, a poor latch and a ravenous hungry. The combination wasn't good and I only nursed her for a week and a half. With our youngest, she's 15months old, she was nursed successfully and still is. I also tried introducing her to a pacifier around 4-6wks. Initially she'd take it but I only allowed it when we were someplace I couldn't easily nurse her, to pacify her long enough until I could. Around 3 months old she refused a pacifier all together and decided that I was the only pacifier she wanted. She also refused a bottle until around 10 months old. Now I want to wean her I and because she still uses me as her pacifier throughout the night, I kind of wish she'd take one (knowing of course that it's just another thing I'd need to break her of down the road, so really it's better to just deal with the sleep issues now). From what I've heard over the years, it seems that most breastfed babies - at least if it's done exclusively for even a couple months - don't have a desire for a pacifier.

0
11 20

my first was expressed breastmilk feed and he used a pacifier from day 3/4, my second was breastfeed till 8mths and used her thumb, and my third was breastfeed till 9mths and he used a pacifier from about a week old

0
11 22

I breastfed all my kids and the youngest is 2 month now and we never really used pacifiers. They typically will be happy just with breastfeeding. Our smallest was sometimes even reluctant to take the breast, if she had the pacifier for a car ride. So I decided it is not worth it and she is not using pacifiers anymore. Actually if I try to give her one she will most likely not suck on it, but I have to add that she does like sucking on her thumb ;).

0
18 30

My son would suck my pinky all the time from birth- the midwife said it was helping him with the funky overlapping plates in his head. Anyway, I would have to fall asleep with my hand hanging over the bed into his basket, with him sucking my finger.... So, needless to say, he got the pacifier at 3 weeks and uses it for going to sleep then spits it out (he is now four months).

0
26 24

My first daughter literally 'sucked' a hole in my nipple (I still have a scar!), and yes, we gave her a pacifier. She just loved to suck on anything ALL THE TIME. We started limiting her pacifier use when she was about 4/5 months old to nap and bedtime only, so she found her thumb which she sucks all the time still at age 3. I was so happy I didn't have to replace her thumb for her at night, I let her keep it (the thumb). ;-D

Our second daughter does not have a strong need to suck, but I still gave her a pacifier. She never really took it until about 4 months old, & only wants it for sleeping, but she's even OK w/o it when she's sleepy enough. She's 9 months now, and I think we'll toss it sometime soon after 1 when she's weaned to a cup.

0
5 0

Thumb sucking is a really bad habit to start and even worse to try to stop it. It also ruins the teeth and the roof of the mouth. I would ask your doctor or dentist about their opinion on this, but it has been proven to ruin straight teeth. I hated pacifiers with a passion, but the hospitals always gave all four of my babies a paci right after birth, while I was resting. I usually made sure that it was gone, by their 6th month and had no problems weaning them, until now...my daughter is 14 months old, still nursing once or twice a day, and has her paci most of the time. The doctor said that she is just a "sucker" so to let it be, but to make sure she never starts sucking her thumb. You don't have to believe me, but I would recommend talking to a couple of doctors about it! My 14 month old has also never had a bottle, and has been drinking out of a sippy since she was nine months old, and now she drinks from a straw. Every child is different and hits milestones at different times, so if you want, you can introduce a cup now...with water in it. Mine drinks several cups of water a day....keeps her hydrated and sugar free!

1 0

I am/was a midwife (in the UK) and hated pacifiers with a passion. When my first child was 6 weeks old, still breastfeeding every 2 hours night and day, he had put on 4 pounds and I was a shadow of my former self , my friends at the National Childbirth Trust (not sure of the US equivalent - but it's all natural) suggested I get him a pacifier "because he is a 'sucky' baby" and you know what? it worked.
Three years later when I went into hospital to have twins I took them in with me. To be honest I don't think they would have been bothered as they were completely different, but with the first it definitely saved my sanity. No 1 son is now 25 with lovely straight teeth and the twins are 22.

0
5 0

I breast fed my second one and the doctor told me to let him have a pacifier which I also hated with a passion, the doctor told me to take it away when he was between 4-5 months and I wouldn't have any problems. I did that and neither one of us has problems and he is now 33 years old.