Did you always want a big family? If not, when did you change your mind?

12 0

No. There was actually a time in my life when I thought, "one baby is good". And then I had my second, which secured my "normal" status and we didn't think much more about it. When we were expecting our third, people were surprised and we felt like that would probably be our last baby.

Then a friend casually asked me one day, "So, have you ever considered letting God be sovereign over your womb?" My first thought was that the question she asked was a silly one. "After all", I argued, "I don't just 'let God be sovereign' in other areas of my health, which is why I take medicine for sickness". I wasn't realizing what a vast difference the treatment of sickness, which is not God's creation, and the prevention of a healthy condition was.

After we weren't able to biblically defend our opposition to the regular use of birth control, we gave it to the Lord, and then He made it more and more clear to us the blessing of children and the benefits of recognizing His sovereignty.

1
0 30

I've loved children all my life, and never imagined having such a large family, but now? I can't imagine it any other way.

0
0 0

Yes!

0
0 0

At first I never thought I would be able to a big family.

My first baby was by Caesarean Section and I was worried when the second baby was born ... also by C-Section that I would never have a big family.

With big trust in God and an amazing doctor I am now blessed with nine (9) children... and yes … you guessed it… I have undergone nine C-Sections!

And no, it is not a world record…there are other moms out there who have brought larger families into this world with more -sections than nine.

I am never bored! (Just in case you wondered!)

0
0 0

I did always want a big family. I grew up with one brother and no cousins my age. I used to imagine I was part of a larger family and now I am.

0
0 0

I had our first child right out of high school and when the nurse asked us if we were planning on having anymore, I said, "no, she will be the only child!" Of course, I had a terrible birth experience with her so that was me talking through the pain and grumpiness of that first birth. After about the third child, I knew then, that I wanted a lot more children. After the sixth, we were both sure we wanted more!

0
0 2

I always wanted many children! 12? I can't really say that was my goal! My husband did not want many children! I was a babysitter at a young age and then a nanny before I began to have my own.

We knew a family who had 4 kids which seemed like a lot to me, and we asked why they had so many. They told me they were allowing God to choose the size of their family. I was shocked! That means I could have like 20 children! That scared me but we decided to give it to God. Reluctantly at first but by the grace of God, He opened our hearts and we began to see either we trusted Him or we did not so we decided to totally give up or plan and let God have his way! That was when we had 3 children and here we are 12 children later! I have NEVER regretted it and love the blessings they bring! Yes, somedays are hard, but you have that with any job! I would do it all over again and hope God blesses us again and again if He chooses!

0
0 0

Nope, I completely wanted the typical boy and girl. That was it 2 kiddos. Well I had the 2 kiddos and just continued on. We kind of took each child one baby at a time. We are blessed.

0
0 0

It wasn't planned at all! I had one child with my ex-husband and then fell in love with a man who had four! Together we make one big, happy family.

0
0 0

I always pictured myself with 2 children. but once those 2 came along...I knew we would have more.

0
33 0

Yes, I've always wanted a large family. I had only two brothers growing up and it seemed like the large families always had more fun. Turns out, I was right!

0
0 0

Nope. Well, I guess it depends on what your definition of "big" is. When we were first married we talked about having four or five kids, which feels like an average or slightly larger than average family around here. I guess most places four is a big family! Our first three children came in three years and were all surprises! So much for that idea of 2-3 years in between each kid! As our family got started more quickly than we planned, we started to reevaluate. (and we realized that birth control isn't so effective for us) My fourth pregnancy was pretty difficult, as was the labor, delivery, recovery...topped of with postpartum depression as well. We knew that there was at least one more child for our family, but if the fifth time around was anything like the fourth, we weren't sure how much more I'd be up for. Thankfully number five was a breeze comparatively because during that pregnancy we both felt as though that wasn't the end for our family, and we started thinking maybe eight would be our magic number, but still knew that we weren't complete after he came along!

0
0 0

After our first two children (boy & girl) we thought we were done having children. We enjoyed our life as a family of four. Then when our children were 13 and 10, God called us to be foster parents. Overnight we went from having two children to four children, and within 2 months we added another. We didn't know the journey we were about to embark on, but we were committed. We eventually adopted all three boys. Even though many people thought we were crazy, we knew we had room in our home and hearts for one more. We brought our daughter home from the hospital when she was 2 days old, and eventually went on to adopt her as well.

0
0 0

Not really, but I always wanted to have some kids. After you have about 3 kids you discover that one or two more isn't really going to be much more work. At any rate, we just kept having them and now we couldn't imagine having a small family!

0
0 0

No, we did not set out to have a large family from the time we were first married. Bob and I didn't know that the God wants lordship in this area of our life just like any other area. We thought the most responsible thing to do was to have only a couple of children that we could provide for to the extent that the World says we should be able to. But when God moved us to seek His truth on this topic we were blown away by the amount of scripture we found, and we then began a journey towards increasing our faith and giving Him control of the number of children He would like to give us and the spacing between them.

0
0 0

I wanted a big family since my first daughter was a year old. I couldn't imagine that anything I ever could do would be better or more fulfilling than devoting my life to my family and having more children.

I remember going to a garage sale with my one and only child on my hip. The home owner had four very young children running around. This looked like a positively delightful achievement to my motherful eyes. I commented on her 'big family' and told her I wanted a big family too. She asked me how many kids I wanted. I replied, "At least six." She said that's what she had always said too, but they are stopping now at four.

I wondered if I'd ever get to four - or six. I'm happy and sooo busy with seven -and one more on the way!!

0
0 0

Yes! I am from a Jewish family. It has always been thought the more kids the better! I think four is enough for right now!

0
0 0

Growing up I didn't know there was anything else to do but get married and be a mama. Around elementary school I began to become aware of my surroundings and the reality of my family situation. My mother was an alcoholic and my father a philanderer. My oldest brother was a mess and in trouble all the time. The majority of our family time involved my parents screaming at each other, violent fighting, or dealing with my brother's behavior issues. That was about the time I decided this is miserable. When I grow up, I am not getting married and I am not having children.

Ha! God has a sense of humor, though. He changed my heart completely. At 18 I married and 18 months later gave birth to my oldest daughter. I was instantly and completely in love with this idea of mothering and the little life in my charge.

That was just before I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I began a long, physically and emotionally painful journey of treatment, hope and heartache which concluded with doctors telling me there was no way I would ever be able to get pregnant. In an effort to get past the pain enough to live a normal life without a hysterectomy, I went through surgeries, hospitalizations, hormonal treatments, long term IV's and experimental injections. At the conclusion, three specialists all told me it was impossible for me to conceive or carry a child. One kind doctor told me to be blessed in the daughters I had because she had never seen anyone with the disease as advanced as mine who had any children at all.

During our early days, Allen and I had spent many nights talking about our love of children and how much we both wanted a large family and now we were trying to accept that it would not be part of our life.

When a special little girl made her way into our hearts we began to consider a life as adoptive parents. When we lost her I felt God was telling us to be happy in our life as He has given it. This was a great Aha moment for me. And it was the point where I fully gave my will over to God's will.

You can't imagine how shocked everyone, especially my doctors were, when just four months later I became pregnant with a third daughter. No one can explain it, and I even less than anyone, but the Lord worked a miracle in our lives and opened my womb. We named her Emma, short for Emmanuel, because we knew truly God had been with us.

We are thrilled He changed my heart and that He filled us with the want and then fulfilled the desire of our hearts by filling our home and lives with our beautiful family. We desire in every way to take the 9 blessings He gave us and use their lives to bring Him glory and honor.

0
0 45

Yes, I have always wanted to be surrounded in children. And now I am.

0
0 0

Yes, my mom was the youngest of 10 children and I was the oldest of 5 so I was accustomed to larger than average families from the beginning.

My parents also taught us from a young age that children are a blessing from God and I wanted all the blessings that He was willing to send.

0
0 0

When we got married, I wanted one child and my husband wanted three, so we compromised with ten! ;) (That's his line and he's sticking to it!) ;)

Actually, we started off with the vision of the "perfect" little American family, which in our minds was two children, a dog, and a cute little house in suburbia with a white picket fence! Reading "The Way Home" and "All the Way Home" by Mary Pride shook me up at my core and got me thinking about the purpose of children and Who should decide how many children we had. As I wrestled through the concepts in that book, searching them out in Scripture, I knew better than to even mention such radical ideas to my husband! However, I began to pray that his scheduled appointment for a vasectormy would be cancelled. God answered that prayer by supernaturally arranging circumstances so that my husband cancelled that appointment and never looked back . . . . :)

Then, the Lord worked in both of our hearts through His Holy Spirit, through a godly family He brought into our lives, and through the book, "A Full Quiver," by Rick and Jan Hess, to get us both to the point where we were willing to put our fertility on the altar and trust Him with our family size. We felt fear, freedom and elation mingled together as that decision was made and acted upon!

I prayed that God would give me at least two months before conceiving, and He did! That was over twenty years ago now!

And the rest, as they say, is history! Ten children later we would not do it any differently! I'm not saying it has been easy or challenge free -- but as my Mom always told me, Nothing worth doing is!! :)

0
0 0

I remember in 5th and 6th grade reading magazine articles about extra large families and families that adopted, and knowing that was exactly what I wanted to be: "A Mom of an Extra Large Family".

When we got married, my husband and I told everyone that we wanted to have 6 children. Everyone told us we would change our minds. Now, we laugh and tell them that, yes, we changed our minds. After the first 6, we decided to have 6 more.

0
0 0

It was after our first child was born, after we had struggled with infertility. My husband said, "Let's not mess with this again!" And we haven't. We didn't know that we'd get a large family, though. It certainly doesn't work that way for everyone. God is in control.

0
0 0

My mother was the 3rd child in a family of 10 children. I always thought how amazing it would be to have a large family. I never planned one, but I have certainly have been blessed.

0
10 6

I knew I wanted more than the "typical" family. I thought that meant about four. But when we had four, it felt like an awfully small family. Now, with six, it still doesn't feel terribly "big" - but it sure is busy!

0
0 0

I grew up with one sister, and we were supposedly "scientifically" spaced exactly Five years apart. Since I didn't know any better, I assumed this was the best way to go. I sort of stumbled into having three, spaced very closely together, which was very frowned upon by friends and family. But I loved each so dearly, I truly understood what God meant when He said that children are a blessing and a reward! Fortunately, some kind friends in 1988 lent us a book called "The Way Home" by Mary Pride, which caused us to rethink all of our family planning ideals.

After reading, "The Way Home," our eyes were opened and we began to see that we had been culturally "hoodwinked" into living a very impoverished life and worldview--so we put our trust completely in God and went full-speed ahead. My husband, David and I have trusted God for family size now for almost 30 years and today we have 15 wonderful children!

0
9 0

Apparently when I was a teenager, I used to say I wanted six kids. I have no memory of this, but my sister reminded me of this little factoid after I became the proud and crazy Mom to -- you guessed it -- six kids. Spooky.

0