Did you choose natural birth or medicated? Would you do the same again?

Choosing to accept or decline pain medication is a personal decision that many moms spend a lot of time considering. What did you choose? After going through it once, would you make the same decision again?

16 20

I had 8 babies. All natural except for a bit of demerol right before delivery with my first. 4 were home births. I will say though even though this was my experience and it was very positive for every birth, I think there is far too much "competition" between us moms as to "how to have our babies". We need to support each other and not burden each other with our own way being the superior way. Yes share what went well for you. Read what you can. Do not get frightened by the sometimes miserable experiences other women share. (We all tend to share the traumatic experiences with others).
I could say to you "I found a scripture from the Bible for each birth that I believe carried me through each experience wonderfully" And that is true but for me to chide someone bringing forth a new life into this world for not having that same trust and experience would be just plain wrong and mean.
If you need an epidural use it. If medication or a C-section is needed by all means trust that God is still with you partnering to bring your baby forth even if the means and circumstances are not what you would have liked. Have your baby and enjoy him or her. God bless you as you mother that child and have peace in the journey.

39
6 2

Very nicely said. I think the same can be said for breastfeeding. There is too much competition and people telling you what works instead of "sharing" as you said!

711 9

Natural birth, natural birth, natural birth 3 times over was my choice. I am blessed to have birthed my first child in a car trying to go to the hospital. It was a sign for me to accept my ability to have quick, easy uncomplicated births in this lifetime. After being shafted by Kaiser Hospital in S. F. , Ca. and not having any of my fee returned when I payed for a 3 day stay and was released after 1 day by the physicians. Taught me a good lesson about Western Medicine and the way it approaches healing(?).

If you are a conscious and aware being who knows how to care for your own body and can be aware of your own body's signs, then go for natural birth. If you are NOT YET THAT AWARE......GET THERE. Step up to the plate and bat 3,000 +!!!

14
0 1

They didn't refund you?! That's unbelievable! I have Kaiser (Southern Cali) and they already billed me for my hospital services- even though I'm not due until October! I've never heard of that before! Getting pre billed, that's ridiculous! Needless to say, I'm not paying it until the day I check into L&D! And let's hope I don't have the baby in the car on the way :) I WAS hoping to have the baby at a birthing center this time around, but seeing that Kaiser's wonderful corporate system down here doesn't support it and I have nowhere near that kind of money to pay out of pocket, I will have to birth in a hospital again. I'm trying to stay positive about it though, my sister has had 5 natural unmedicated childbirths already, all in a hospital. So I know it can be done!

1 14

Yes , I did take pain meds. and I would again. The Lord blessed man with mind to be able to create meds. for pain why not use them. They are safe for the babies. Why hurt if you don't have too. Which sometimes they don't work as well for some as others.

10
16 4

I would not agree they are safe for babies. Lots of research proves otherwise. It also proves babies drugged at birth are more likely to be users as adults. It is proven that it is more likely mom has complications when meds are involved. Babies enter the world drugged and the mother is drugged at the time when she should be bonding with her child. No drug has ever been proven safe for babies nor birthing. All drugs cross the blood brain barrier. With that said, there are times where drugs are the best and safest option, but have never met a woman who trained for and learned about birth and had a natural birth who would ever do it differently if given the opportunity again. I will also say that women who have natural births tend to recover faster, so the pain that they have is before baby and not after, moms with drugs often are in pain later since they cannot feel that they are hurting themselves during the labor. I also know of mothers who are still in pain from an epidural more than a decade ago….so no they are not safe, there are times where they truly are merited, but it is not true that they are completely safe. The chemical compounds of these drugs are the similar to hard street drugs.

18 0

Indeed it's very personal. I lost my first child in a ridculously long 'natural' labor! My next two were born painlessly and HEALTHILY with a C section. No one should feel pressured one way or the other. I WOULD have chosen a C section IF i had that choice because i was inordinately afraid of birthing (portends of things to come?), but i suffered ridicule and derision for those thoughts ... most important, my two c section boys are healthy and grown!

10
120 0

I realize this is personal, but if possible could you provide more detail on what went wrong? Did you have a midwife? Was it a high-risk birth?

2 0

I had natural childbirth with my four babies. My first labour and delivery was surprisingly short for a firstborn, and I was able to manage without pain medication. I believe this influenced my decision for the following three births; had I struggled endlessly with the first birth, I may have chosen to use pain medication with the rest. My daughter recently gave birth to a 9lb.14 oz. baby, and she chose to go with a natural birth at home. She used a birthing pool, which she said was very helpful in relieving some of the pain and stress.

10
6 0

I think it is entirely up to the mother, and it's not a contest. No mother should ever be made to feel badly because she did or did not opt for a certain way. Every person, birth, and baby is different and even the best laid plans can go awry-have what you want in mind but understand things can change, and if they do, embrace it for the safety of you and your baby.

My first I was induced at 39 weeks due to high blood pressure-it wasn't pre-eclampsia, but was also not going down. I did not have any problems from any of the drugs and opted to have an epidural. I had always intended to if I had the choice. I did not feel any pain but still felt the pressure of every contraction, so I didn't have any troubles with that. I progressed to 10 cm in about 7 hours and it wasn't that bad. However I pushed for 4 1/2 hours and that was horrible. I was not in pain from the contractions-they were just a pressure. But I was in a lot of pain in my groin area, which they kept saying with the epidural I couldn't even feel that area. I was like, uh, yes, I can. Well anyway he had come within a 1/2 inch of crowning after 30 minutes and just didn't come the rest of the way for the next 4 hours, the doctor just kept saying keep pushing your almost there and then leaving again. Finally, the nurse made him come back and said she thought he needed to intervene. At this point I was being given oxygen and so exhausted I was almost falling asleep between contractions. So finally he said I can try forceps. The placement was the most horrible pain, and then when he pulled him down he said "oh"...it turns out he was crooked and stuck apparently on my pelvic bone or something, he was partially but not completely turned over. Once he was pulled down into a better position the pain in my groin went away also. Anyway next contraction they said ok, push probably just a few more to go. Well, I pushed with all my strength like I had been...and he shot completely out, the doctor almost didn't catch him, and I had a 4th degree tear-all layers, from back to front. His head was horribly mishapen (it was fine over the next couple of days), and he had a bruise across his face from the forceps (and later had to have corrective surgery for a clogged tear duct that had gotten squeezed by them). You could see where he had been crooked when they had been placed due to the marks and the shape of his head. Anyway it took almost another hour to stitch me up, and I am glad I had the epidural-it felt bad enough as it was, I cant imagine how that would have felt without it. When I was done they brought him back and he was awake, alert, and latched right on and nursed for almost 40 minutes. So he clearly was not affected by the medications either. I was still a little numb but able to walk to the bathroom and back. Overall, I am very glad I had the epidural-although I think the doctor should also have been paying more attention and intervened earlier. He was 8lbs 4 oz and 21 1/2 inches long-so slightly above average, but not by much. His head was in the 90th percentile though-and still is. My recovery was pretty horrible, I was in the hosptial an extra day due to blood loss, so a total of 4 days...I wore ice packs like diapers for and was in a LOT of pain, as well as my whole body just felt worn, weak, and exhausted from all the pushing as well as blood loss-I was told not to be alone for 2 weeks in case I passd out, and I didn't really feel stronger and mostly normal till he was about 4 weeks. Anyway I STILL (7 years later) have a horrible twisty, bumpy scar-and also still have pain sometimes during intercourse and if I try to ride a bike.
My next birth, I I had a c-section at 39 weeks. The c-section was due to slowed fetal growth and also my prior birth experience (I also had a new doctor as my previous one had moved). My daughter had a two-vessel cord and I had an ultrasound every two weeks from 30 weeks on. She did not show any signs of other problems that can come with a two-vessel cord, but they said slowed fetal growth was one of the most prevalent problems with that condition, so they kept checking. At 34 weeks she was estimated at 7 lbs 10 oz. At 36 weeks she was the same. At 38 weeks, they said, we're not going to do another one, lets just induce next week if you don't go into labor-I was partially effaced and dialted to 2-as my own measurements had not changed any and they knew she was good sized. After discussing it with my doctor, based on my previous birth experience, her projected size (if she had gained as normal, would again have been over 8lbs), and my husband's family of giant-headed people...we decided to try vaginal if I went into labor but be prepared for intervention if needed. After further dicussion we decided if I did not go into labor I would have a c-section at exactly 39 weeks-I also wanted to get my tubes tied at the same time so it seemed the best option. I did not go into labor and had the c-section-so of course I had another epidural. It turned out she was dainty, perfectly round small head...only 7lbs and 19 inches long-even taking into consideration that the ultrasound estimates are not perfect, she had definitely not gained any weight those last couple weeks and may even have lost, so I am glad I had her a week early, and although it probably would have been an easier delivery, that was impossible to know of course. I felt so much better after the c-section than after my other delivery...my total pain was much less and my recovery quicker. I was out of the hospital after only two days-and my milk was already which shocked everyone-and was fixing dinner and folding (though not lifting) laundry two days after that-I had a little trouble finding a comfortable sleeping position as I normally sleep on my stomach, but other than that, overall I was in a lot less pain and felt better in general. My scar is a lot flatter and I never have residual pain.

I am not advocating c-sections 'just because', but I am advocating doing the right thing for yourself and your baby, and taking into consideration that many factors influence the birth of your baby and as well things can't always be predicted in advance either. If I was (am not of course, had a tubal) having another baby-I would consider trying a VBAC, but I would again opt for an epidural, and would be sure that I was kept apprised of progress and that timely intervention was considered if needed. I would not choose a completely natural birth unless of course circumstances made that the only option. I get tired of mothers haraunging each other because of the way they did or did not have their baby. Just having a healthy baby is my goal, the method is not the priority for me.

9
72 9

well said cindi. I'm tired of women braging like oh "mine were all natural" like the rest of the population are all wimps. Birth is unpredictable. all you can do is hope for how you want it and hope that you are lucky enough to give birth in a way that you want to. All that matters is that you have a healthy baby and you not have any complications.

6 0

I went through natural childbirth both times. I had relatively quick labors (6 hours and 3 hours, respectively). The girls were born with exceptionally bright eyed dispositions:) I wouldn't have done it any other way given the same circumstances.

6
1 3

I've done both. With my first labor was progressing very slowly even though my membranes had ruptured naturally. Fatigued, I asked for some medication (stadol in my IV) to get some sleep. Sleep helped labor progress, the medication had worn off by transition and I delivered without further medication. With my second, I had been up all night, exhausted received some nubain and woke up half hour later ready to push! My fourth was severe back labor with some blood pressure problems, so I was kept down, and meds helped. #6 was induced for health reasons; because my body was NOT ready, it was difficult and I had some pretty strong medication. Under any of these circumstances I would make the same choice I did.
My third is the only one I regret, I had meds early on because of fear of another long labor, but it was my fastest. Meds wore off by transition which was very fast.
My fifth was med free, even with back labor. I used every technique I could and wow! What an awesome feeling with no meds in my system afterward.

5
13 47

My first was natural. The second was induced. The third was C-section.

I found that I natural was not easy to get through but the recovery was soooo much better. I was only in hard labor for about three hours though. My water didn't break on its own. The doctor broke my water. Until then the contractions were not bad. So, I lean towards natural.

The second was induced because my first went so quickly and smoothly. The Dr.s were concerned that I would not make it to a hospital. I didn't like this at all. My body just wasn't ready to deliver and I found my body was stressed a great deal due to the induction (not that carrying was much easier). Plus, both the baby and I took longer to recover from the medications.

The third was a scheduled as an induction as well but he rotated the night before and ended up being a C-section. This is really hard to recover from and the long term damage is for life. I can still notice the muscle loss and it has made my back problems more noticeable.

Everyone is going to be different. My sister actually had her son at home with a nurse. I am not sure I would go that route either. I still think there is some benefit to going to a birthing center that helps with the comfort of the family and the comfort of the mother not to mention the availability of emergency needs. I do recommend having a strong individual to help manage the hospital staff that enter the rooms during recovery. I have had good experiences but I have also had experiences where the staff just doesn't think about the patients need and just barge in to do all sorts of things at all hours of the day. The mom really needs to rest as much as possible while in the hospital and it will be a difficult transition if the hospital wears them out before sending them home.

The first child is a very pure and light experience because you just have to tune in to the one child and the father. However, when you get to multiple children, you need all the energy and strength and energy you can get from the very beginning. Life can slow down with the first but that is not the same when the next few come along.

4
5 16

I had 4 natural child births and I had no meds at all to me it was faster, but that is up to the person in labor,if I had to do it again I would do the same.

4
3 1

the choice is very personal. my tolerance for pain is very low. i chose to be medicated and i had terrific experiences with my 3 pregnancies. i chose the epidural.

3
0 0

I think this is a very personal choice. I chose to experience a natural childbirth, and I had a great
experience. However I had several friends who chose to have a medically assisted birth and they had great experiences too. At the end of the day, we all just want to have healthy babies! I think it really comes down to what is best for you and your family. I only have one child, but if I were to ever have another, I would choose to skip the medication again.

3
5 19

I chose natural child birth. After reading the differnet books choosing drugs was not an option for me. It really scared me with the possible side effects. Then to make sure I was listened to I got a midwife. I knew she'd make sure my wishes were granted. Then to top it off, my daughter made sure I didn't have drugs. I was only in the hospital for maybe 40 minutes before she was born. It was to late to have the drugs even if I changed my mind. ;o) I think I would choose the same route but can't say one way or the other. I pray that I don't have to think about it. I am very happy with one child. I don't have the desire to have anymore.

3
8 0

I chose to have an epidural I had twins vaginally. I was in pain and once it came time for me to push I could feel everything. So if I had to do it over again I wouldn't do any medicine not because I have a religious opinion about it but because I still have issues with back pain. I felt all of the labor and I don't think the medicine made a difference. Plus, its such an extremely, exhausting process but its all worth it and I wouldn't trade any of it. Its a learning experience, I don't think anyone gets it right the first time.

2
1,258 14

I had a medicated delivery with my first child. He was face up (OP) and large (8lbs, 20z). I had the gas through my entire active labour, was denied my request of an epidural because I was "too far along." Then I had a shot of Fentanyl IV (which did nothing) because even though I was fully dilated I had a rim of cervix that wouldn't go away. Usually this lasts a few contractions, mine was for 2 hours, at which point I had the IV meds. Then I was finally able to push, did so for 2 more hours, the baby didn't move down at all. They called in an obstetrician at that point. He wanted to do a C-section, I refused, so he gave me an epidural at that point (by then I was fully dilated for about 4-5 hours) hoping that maybe it would help my pelvic muscles to relax enough to turn the baby. After another hour, he had turned about 1/4 turn, enough that I was able to spend the next 2 hours pushing him out. In total, I was fully dilated for about 7 hours. I DID NOT regret the decision for the epidural, if I hadn't had it, I would not have been able to have the vaginal birth I wanted to have.

With my 2nd, I asked for an epidural the moment I arrived at the hospital expecting the pain to be similar to my first delivery (it wasn't because she wasn't face up, she was face down as babies are supposed to be). The doc agreed, but the anesthetist never made it there on time to do it. and I had no drugs. My daughter was delivered by the nurse because I dilated from 4-10cm in less than 15 minutes. The doc down the hall didn't even make it into the room. Also, no regrets. Ultimately, with both deliveries, I ended up with healthy babies so I can't regret any decisions. I believe that Moms shouldn't go into delivery with expectations of what they will or will not have. See how you feel in the moment. If you need something, take it, if you don't, than don't. In the grand scheme of things, I didn't get a prize, trophy, or even a single congratulations for going drug-free over having used them. Going drug-free didn't make me any more of a mom, didn't make my baby any happier (in fact she was a fussier baby than my son), and didn't make me more pleased with my delivery (though I was more pleased with my second only because it was shorter, less painful, and didn't involve 4 hours of pushing). Do what's right for you. Good luck!

2
13 51

I went for the epidural. I have a low pain tolerance anyway. I was induced due to complications. I was in hardcore labor for 18 1/2 hours, from the time they hooked me up to pitocin & broke my water til I had her. I went for about 5 hours with nothing. My contractions were 2 minutes apart and registering from 90-100. I couldn't take it any longer and had to have something. They gave me stadol first, which wore off after an hour, then they gave me the epidural. I was able to sleep for three hours after that. By the time I was ready to push, my epi bag was almost empty. My daughter was being stubborn and didn't want to come out, so by the time she finally got in the birth canal I could feel everything.

Would I change anything? No, I had a GREAT labor and delivery. If I ever have another one, I plan on doing the same thing. Take the pain as long as I can then get the epidural. I wouldn't change anything.

Oh, and my daughter wasn't "groggy" when she came out. She passed all the tests with flying colors. She was actually screaming before she was completely out, which was a Godsend because we were worried about her lung development do to the complications that I was having.

2
236 7

I guess that there are lots of situations that can come about, so in consideration of the big picture - which is to have healthy babies and moms at the end of it all - I would say just keep an open mind! In my own experience, I had one baby in-hospital with an OB and an attending doula (who I hired and paid for separately for $600 - if you think you can't afford it, contact DONA or PALS and see if a training doula can help you for less - easy to find online). This was a good decision. I think she helped advocate for my husband and I in the presence of hospital staff, who in most cases just want to get the deed done and don't care how it happens as long as mom and baby are alive at the end (I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is the dollars and cents of it from a hospital's point of view). We took Bradley method classes, which mostly just gave us some tools for relaxation and the determination to try for natural birthing. It helped to meet other parents who were like-minded, and to share information so that we didn't feel helpless in the hospital environment. We wrote out a birth plan, which is really just to help you figure out what your options are. First time moms should know that many OB's and maternity staff have never even attended a natural birth before, so be sure to ask for a staffer that HAS done it and can assist you in managing your discomfort well without drugs. The doula was worth every penny in this regard, and helped us wait a bit before even going to the hospital in the first place. Never go early, as then the clock starts ticking, and the hospital just wants you out of there, so they start rushing the whole process if you don't get going with your own natural hormones. Don't let that happen. One intervention easily leads to another. Your body will tell you when it's showtime! We had a long labor (which is very common in first timers). You should expect this, and be prepared for it. The doula helped tag team with my husband so they could keep my spirits up and help me rest between contractions. Surround yourself with people you want there, and not people you feel obligated to have there (i.e. parents or in-laws, unless they are really helpful!). Make sure all attending know how important it is to you to have a natural birth, and ask EVERYONE to stay mum about drugs, offering drugs, talk of drugs. The older generation often doesn't seem to get this. It's just their experience. Honestly, it was very long, and very hard, and very tiring. At the end of it all, we had a beautiful baby girl, who was healthy, latched right on for nursing (because she wasn't sleepy from drugs), and I was able to go home right away (under 24 hours), which pleased my husband who hates hospitals. My view from the hospital bed, was that hospital staff were kind, but very intrusive. The monitor was a giant pain, and the nurse was only worried about getting that monitor info for the doctor, who waltzed in at the last minute and broke my daughter's collarbone pulling her out, not to mention tearing the heck out of my you-know-what. I wasn't really impressed with the whole experience of in-hospital. The other thing that really bothered me was that I wanted more than ever to labor on the floor in different positions (on my knees, my side, all fours, etc.). I kept thinking about how dirty those floors were, and same when I was in the shower. It was just kind of yucky and I wished I was in my own home. They must have thought it was yucky too, because they kept trying to get me into bed, which didn't help my labor progress and was very painful. The OB insisted on having me on my back, which was the worst of all. I wanted to labor standing up at the end, and she wouldn't let me. All of this being said, I had my second child at home, in the comfort of my own surroundings. Even my dog laid by my side as I labored to comfort me. I had my own hot shower, no one bugging me, and called the midwife when I felt I was ready. As it turns out, I was in hard labor, and she arrived within minutes of me delivering another healthy baby girl. My husband was with me, but I felt so at peace with the whole process, and while it did hurt, I felt strong and capable. I am a very middle-of-the-road kind of gal. I think I share a lot of values with other moms, and I can genuinely say that if you do what it takes to help yourself feel confident by surrounding yourself with others who tell you that you can do it, you will be able to do it. If you can't, you can go to the hospital where experts in complicated birthing will help you deliver your baby safely. Be prepared, have a knowledgeable and experienced midwife, and have a wonderful birth experience! Good luck to you and yours. xoxo

2
7 15

I've had four kids; 3 natural births and 1 C-section. Definitely no regrets in opting to go natural. Key is knowing to work with your body, not against it.

2
10 1

For me, Natural all the way. Would and will do the same with my next delivery. I knew and had confidence that my body was built by God to know and do exactly what my mother, her mother and her mother did so that I could do the same thing.

2
2 0

Had natural with all three and would definitely do it again (although NOT planning too!!!) First I was in labor with for two days and exhausted.... to the point that I was pushing when they told me it was impossible for me to do so! My body had taken over to get that child out!! With #2 11 months later he came out a little quicker, but he was a biggie..... over 8 lbs, but I was under 100 myself!!! With #3, he was a 30 week preemie and he really took everyone by surprise! They were going to induce me (pre-eclampsia), but I was already having many contractions and not long after they started he decided to make his presence known with only my husband and two nurses in the room! Imagine the chaos!!! He is a healthy 14 year old now (the other two are 25 and 26) and all is well!!!
I wouldn't, however, judge anyone who decided to use pain meds.... they just weren't something that I would have ever chosen for my babies. My first.... a daughter, has already vowed to be medicated when the time comes. It has to be her decision. She is the one going through it.....

2
18 0

my plan was to have a natural labor.. but after 8 hours of intense contractions 2 min apart lasting 60-90 seconds i got the epi.. lol and she was out n hour n a half later =] i dilated to a 7.5 before receiving epi and was at a 10 within 40 min. I would def try and go all natural again... but if i cant making.. ill still be proud of myself for trying

1
0 5

I had pain medication for my first born. My daughter was 2 weeks late and the doctors did everything they could to induce her. Finally I had pictocin.. I feel when you are administered that drug to bring on the contractions, you have no choice but to have some type of drug. After 22 hours of back labour, and drugs, my doctor decided on a c-section. I dilated to 4 cm. There was a comment below about how drugs really interfere with "bonding of your infant, and that children who have drugs in their system at birth tend to also be "users" in adulthood.. Sorry don't believe that one. Anyway, I would have loved to have a natural childbirth I am sure if my body decided to deliver the way it was intended. No big deal, my daughters head was too big for my pelvic area.. Things did not go as planned therefore, I opted for bringing on the labour to get her out, and unfortunatly that resulted in an epidural. My second daughter was a c-section as well. She came a week early, did not have pictocin but again did not dilate after 18 hours> So C section it was. I dont' agree with alot that Anna Matsunaga suggested. Unfortunately it is comments like yours that hurt and put new mom into a depression for second guessing what they chose or did not choose during giving birth.

1
0 14

I had a C-Section. Because I had had surgery on my uterus a couple of times, my OB-GYN said she would prefer to schedule me for a C-Section in my 39th week. I was RELIEVED. I was 40 years old, it was my 1st full term pregnancy and I was scared of going into labor and dealing with the pain!
I have no regrets and if I happen to get pregnant again (I'm 43 now) I want the C-Section!
Oh, I have NO pain whatsoever after surgery and was up and about as soon as the epidural wore off!

1
13 0

WIth my first two I had an epideral. With my third I had an unscheuled c section. I would make the same choices if I had to do it all over again.

1
9 23

I agree that there is far too much emphasis on 'how' we have our babies and not enough attention paid to each individual circumstance. We are told over & over again that 'every woman is different, every pregnancy is different' so not to base our hopes/fears on the experiences of our friends/sisters/mothers as it may or may not be similar. I have only had two children, both within the past four years - and there will be no more due to the horrid experience that I found pregnancy to be. For me the birth of each of my children signalled the end of vomiting daily and the return of me. Having two children under 4, with the second only 10wks old, definitely exposes me to this discussion and I am constantly suprised that having a medication free birth is worn like a badge. It's almost a competition to the point where I have had to justify why I chose to have an epidural - it's simple - I chose the best option for me based on me!! I can't help feeling sometimes that some mothers to be are working under the pretext of 'what's best for baby' but not really thinking about what's actually best for baby. I wasn't given any physical exam before my first birth & was told after the fact that 'whoever decided you should deliver naturally was crazy' by the delivering obstetrition - I am glad I had pain relief as it hurt like hell anyway, I don't have tiny little babies! If I'd had a second natural birth I would have opted for the epidural again, as it was my son was a c-section delivery so the choice was made for me. On the whole I am happy with my birthing experiences but smiling from ear to ear as I don't ever have to make the childbirth pain relief choice again :D

1
22 35

With my son I had an epidural just like I always planned and he is a perfectly healthy very smart 3 year old. I am pregnant with my second baby now and plan on having an epidural again. I don't think 5 hours was a very long labor and to be able to sit and talk with my husband and mom and sis through the last 3 hours of it without being in any pain was totally worth it to me. The epidural was my best friend and will be again. Wouldn't have changed anything.

1
5 22

Natural birth 3 times - first one being the hardest - 18 hours to find out he was huge and stuck in the birthing canal (couldnt come out and too late for it to go in) but after an additonal 4 hours and being ripped form one end to another he cam out my 10 lb boy with shoulders of a "football jopck"...my next one was 10 lbs as well but she was my "little lady" and quickly came out without a tear ( i guess having them less than 2 years apart made it easier) then came my "baby" my smallest at 8.5lbs and she also as well behaved as a little girl and was nive to her mother....but I would not had changed a thing with every single one....

1
72 9

wow! you have big babies. i am hoping to have our next daughter to be as big or hopefully not too much bigger than our daughter was.

2 0

I had told everyone I worked with I was doing it the natural way, no way was a needle going near my back let alone in it!

Needless to say at 6cm and in horrible agony (I had gone literally from 0 to six in one day and was pushing the water sac out first rather than it breaking) I wanted that dang needle. After having been in terrible pain for about five hours (not including the time I spent at home thinking, these cant be labor pains, I was at 0 during my exam yesterday!) they shot me up with the epidural and not even five mins later I was on cloud nine, I actually slept through the last two hours of labor and dilated properly the whole time!

When it came time to push (oh man the mess I made when my water finally broke...well exploded really...) they actually made me wait through two contractions for the doctor to get there or she would have been born without one!
I can honestly say, if for what ever reason I became insane enough to want to be pregnant again, I would have an epidural all over again! My baby girl came out healthy and with the biggest appetite ever stunning all the nurses and I came away with only a tiny tear :) Before the epi, pure hell, after? I might actually consider having kids again one day lol.

0
21 0

Yes first epidural gas and air and another injection (Hard birth & I was a tiny 16yr old having a 9lb 7oz baby!) Second I Didn't even know I was in Labour literally I was 7 & 1/2 cm dialated the midwife looked up at me and said 'Can you really not feel any pain??' The reason for this was Shock! I wasn't due for another 3 weeks and I was at my Mums hospital bed where she was dying & when the doctor's said they didn't think she'd make it through the night I got such a fright that when I went out to the toilet I was spotting I asked for a pad but lucky my family got me an ambulance instead. My Mum died the next day RIP. Third: Really quick but yes I had the Gas and Air and Pethadine. Fourth: Yes I had an epidural, and it really helped! I really think a lot of it is in our head when I think of my 2nd that time! I wasn't concentrating on anything really but my Mum. The mind and body is so powerful! If I was to have another (I am ttc) I honestly cant say what I'd do although my pain threshold is rather good so would depend on a lot of things!:))

0
0 0

my daughter was induced so I had to be medicated for that but my son there just wasnt enough time by the time I got to the hospital I was 6cm dialted and they had to do bloodwork before I could get the medication and by that time I was already at 8cm so missed out on epidural but with my third coming up very soon i will choose to be non medicated even though it was the WORST PAIN EVER, You are totally awake and aware you feel every single thing

0
1

This is no one's business! Why are you asking -- and in such a public forum to boot? Think of it as the functional equivalent of asking someone what kind of birth control method they use, or if they prefer pads or tampons. It's completely inappropriate and none of your business!

0
2 0

If you don't like the idea of being asked a question, why answer it at all? Lots of moms here, myself included like posting our stories and hearing about others' as well.

81 12

Natural, every time. My Dad taught me there are times in life to be a warrior and my Art History professor taught me to seek the sublime in life. I believe that natural childbirth is a wonderfully empowering way to recognize how brave a woman can be. It is the first bold step on the journey to becoming a heroic mother. And both my labors were very successful and simple, which is the most important reason to support natural childbirth for mothers without complications.

0
2 22

I have 6 children, all of them born without pain meds. I have a phobia when it comes to needle but figured the pain would overwhelm that. It never did and after the first 2 I knew that, for me, when the pain got to the point when I wanted meds it meant it was baby time. And always we'd be pushing within 10-15 minutes. It was a positive experience for me but I have looked and my epidural friends photos where they're smiling and chatting and been just a teensy bit jealous :)

0
61 1

Both with epiderals, I think it helped me keep my strength and not get wore out by the contractions before it was time to push, will have another with #3

0
2 0

Me too, I couldn't stand the pain any longer and they were wearing me out (my fiance decided when I contorted to deal with the pain I looked like the girl from the exorcist, given how I felt, can't say I disagreed!). After the epi I actually slept through two hours of labor and pushed for like, 30 mins :) Best feeling ever was that numbness creeping down my spine and soothing all my muscles.

23 4

I got induced at 40 weeks, that I would not do again. In the other hand, I did natural delivery, they gave me Nubain what really helped to dilate and relax, the water broke at 1130 am and my baby was born at 330pm... this I would ask for again

0
62 0

Wanted a water birth - had to go to hospital in the end - was awful and clinical and cold - the doctors were unfriendly and un helpful - had to have an epidural and be induced , was given all sorts of other drugs that left me feeling awful! had doctors trying to break my waters every few hours - Couldn't go to the toilet for over 2 weeks afterwards because the medication made me constipated - which was worse than giving birth! Had a migraine from the epidural that was so awful that I couldn't keep anything down at all for over a week.. - the doctors at the hospital didn't give me a prescription for anything and didn't give me any information about what to do afterwards - and for the first hour after giving birth - like not to stand up (for example!) I was not impressed with how they treated me and will hopefully never have to give birth in a hospital ever again in my life! Although the moment they gave my baby to me I forgot about everything else - but I remembered again afterwards :) - That was my experience - some hospitals are probably much better but that one wasn't ... Next time a water birth - with music and comfortable surroundings :) we were designed to give birth - our bodys do morph into a completely different being when it's time to come out.. and the babys head does mould into the right shape to come out....

0
23 0

My first pregnancy I was in hard back-labor for over 22 hours. By the time I got to the hospital, I was exhausted and my natural birthing plan went out the window. I got an epidural and it was fantastic. I was able to use a squat bar, feel the urges to push and was able to walk within minutes of having him. Baby scored 10/10 on the apgar scale and nursed naturally within minutes.

My second pregnancy, I planned on having an epidural again, but baby had other plans. He kicked me and broke my water at 9pm. We got to the hospital by 10. Got set up and checked in by 11...baby came at 11:57pm. The Dr. didn't make it. My husband and a nurse delivered him. They barely got an IV in me. There was no time to even take an a drink of water, let alone get any medication.

If I were to have another baby (which I am not), I would definitely have another epidural if A) there was time and B) it was like the first one I had.

0
6 24

I've had 2 epidurals and 1 traumatic un-medicated birth (due to hospital procedure). This time i plan on an un-medicated birth in a very natural-oriented hospital birthing center. I am thankful for no complications with my epidural births, and they were enjoyable, but after learning about the risks I hope never to use drugs again. That is my personal choice, as has been mentioned very well before, it is a very personal decision and there are times when medical interventions are definitely warranted. That said, I think they are way over-used by mothers and doctors in situations where there is not medical reason. I am blessed with a body that knows how to give birth, and i hope to make the most of that!

0
2 0

I chose a natural birth & I had no pain relief at all, would I do the same if I had a second child? probably not since the pain is still very much in my mind but I might change my mind after a few years. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong if one chooses to have a medicated birth I mean why go through the pain if you don't have to. Some mother cope very well with no pain relief with others don't so it's up to the individual. I found it very painful and didn't expect it to hurt that much so I definitely will consider having some form of pain relief if I decide to have another child.

0
231 0

I chose medicated and would do so again and again! I got to 5 cm before the pain was unbearable! I suffered a 2nd degree laceration so i'm THRILLED that I didn't feel that! I love my daughter to pieces she is healthy, happy, and well taken care of. Hubby and I are proud to have her.

0
2 0

I got to 6cm but only because they had to wait for my blood work up, man those fifteen mins were the worst of my life! I had a first degree tear that they decided to stitch up just in case and still glad I didn't have to feel it!