Do You Enjoy Reading Parenting Books? What are Your Favorites?

Do you feel parenting books are useful? Why or why not? What are some of the most useful ones you have read?

2 0

Any of Barbara Coloroso's stuff... start with Winning at Parenting.
I was so proud of myself for not beating my kids... until I realized I had just switched to Verbal Abuse. So I marched myself down to the local community centre and told them I knew what I didn't want to do... just had no idea what to replace it with.
It was a small town with only one self help group. I was a non-drinker but I went to AA for 2 years. Nobody can call you on your own BS like an ex-addict. LOL
My husband stood back and watched, then joined in.
We taught our kids what we were doing and why. We leaned parenting skills together.
Our adult kids have thanked us for 'Getting our 'stuff' together.' and they are free of past baggage in their families.
I have to say that I never comprehended how it would make a difference in the kind of life partner they chose.
Although nobody is perfect, their partners were people that had done their own work and were functioning adults.
So proud that we stopped most of that dysfunctional crap at our generation. It wasn't easy but it was right.
Part of bringing them into this world means you have to step up. No excuses. You hustle your butt and do your best.
25 years ago there was Barbara who was the best of the bunch, so logical and loving.
Also look at some of the Co-dependant stuff if you recognize yourself here: http://www.coda.org/tools4recovery/patterns-new.htm

2
6 0

i agree

1,879 0

Absolutely favourite:

Hold On to Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld.

Other great books:

Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber
Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn

Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys by Michael Thompson

Best Friends, Worst Enemies by Michael Thompson

Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them by Elaine Aron

0
6 0

i agree with Mola Marth the Barbra colorosros stuff is amazing the parenting books are great if you are a first time mom i mean. i get a parenting magazine every month i can not remember what the name is. Hope this helps! PS search the web for parenting magazines

0
0 0

the best parenting book I've read is "How to talk so Kids will listen and how to listen so kids will talk"
by Faber and Mazlish
It completely changed my perspective on how we communicate with our kids.
It gives strategies, and how to deal with those everyday tantrums, etc...
Also has cute cartoons to portray the instances, and its just an overall great read. I highly recommend it!
-Shoshana
whatamomma.wordpress.com

0
42 0

I really valued Kids Are Worth It by Barbara Coloroso. The Secret of Happy Children and Raising Boys by Stephen Biddulph. They all taught me about respecting my Children while also recognizing the importance of setting limits and boundaries for my children. Helped me to be the parent I want to be most of the time.

0
4 1

Reading parenting books is what got me through the years when I was raising my kids!!! I didn't have anyone to really talk to about raising kids. I read a lot of James Dobson. I keep reading them for my job and have found "How to Talk So Kids will Listen & Listen So Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish extremely practical. (Plus, they use comics to quickly illustrate their ideas and I LOVE comics!) They also have a teen book by with a similar title and a sibling book, "Siblings Without Rivalry" that is awesome. Parenting is the most important job on the planet and when done with respect to the child, it is rewarding beyond measure!!!

0
14 0

You Are Your Child's First Teacher

0
275 14

Two books have completely changed the way my husband and I parent! The first is Love and Logic. The second is Anatomy of Peace. Most people have heard of the first book. Anatomy of Peace deals with relationships between parents and teenagers. If you have a difficult teenager, it will guide you through what changes you need to make get along better, respect each other, and communicate without anger. I highly recommend it!

0
1 0

didnt read too many books, but one that was fabulous and i'd highly recommend is "what your girlfriends tell you that your doctors dont" (or something along those lines). very easy & light read, filled with practical information that no one ever thinks to tell you :-)

0
5 0

Beyond Consequences, Logic and Control by Heather Forbes and Bryan Post ~ because it changed our lives. We stopped being ANGRY all the time out of fear and started LOVING our children. With healthy boundaries and sincerely loving responses, we changed the atmosphere of our family. We started realizing the stress that we ourselves and our kids are under each day, and learned about the family's tolerance level to stress. Bryan Post also wrote The Great Behavior Breakdown which goes into details about specific behaviors in children. Heather Forbes also has many other books.

0
28 0

Hello,everybody,the good shoping place,offer fashion goods and nfl jerseys throwback classic,the new season was coming soon, click in. buy something with your and your family! ===== http://www.clothingshoeschina.org ==== Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33 UGG BOOT $50 Nike s h o x(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $33 Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $33 Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16 Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30 Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $12 New era cap $9 Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $18 FREE SHIPPING Accept PayPal Payment! http://www.clothingshoeschina.org Cheap Jordan Shoes,Discount Gucci Shoes,Replica NFL Jerseys, Discount Designer Handbags,Wholesale Hollister Clothing Louis Vuitton Clothing From China! A friendship founded on business is better than business founded on friendship. Thanks!