Do you give your children an allowance?

What do you do, moms? Is there allowance in your home? If so, is it tied to chores or other responsibilities, or is it just pocket money or savings you choose to make for your child?

11 7

My now 14yo daughter has many chores, which she completes without being asked. These include feeding our 2 horses, 2 rabbits, 1 dog and 5 cats. She also cleans the litter boxes, lets the dog out, and helps clean stalls from time to time. In addition, she helps with dishes and cleaning when asked, and sometimes mows 5 acres with our compact tractor. In return, she has $10 deposited into her savings account from Daddy's paycheck every 2 weeks, and we give her cash when she needs it to go out with friends, buy books to read, etc. She ALWAYS gives us our change without being asked! I also take her shopping whenever there is a good sale and I have room on my credit card, and buy her most everything she wants. But she is VERY frugal! She knows to ONLY buy what is on sale, and frequently will choose only one or two items that she wants most and put the rest back. She knows the value of a dollar, and, in some ways, seems more in control of finances than her parents! We have had small allowances from time to time over the years, but our current arrangement seems to work quite well for all of us!

7
8 4

Sounds like you'tre doing a great job parenting and teaching money skills. It's rare to find these days, so congrats.

12 12

i have been lectured from people in my family that "allowance shouldn't come with strings attached" but i totally disagree. my girls are 9 and 11 and they are constantly dragging their feet to do their expected chores, which consists of setting/clearing the table, loading and emptying the dishwasher, feeding/taking care of the dog and rabbits, making their beds and keeping their rooms picked up. these are routine daily chores. they get $5 each per week, and if they don't do what's expected of them they will lose it. now that they are old enough they have to do their share. everyone in the house has to do their job to keep the house clean, organized and a nice place to live. in addition, if they are willing to help me with indoor cleaning like vaccuming or dusting, or help dad outside with yardwork, they get extra money. kids these days WANT WANT WANT. they want what their friends have and i simply can't afford to "keep up with the joneses". my children will NOT have their own i-pods i-phones, and laptops because we simply do not have that kind of money. i'm trying to teach them a good work ethic; if you want something you have to work for it. it doesn't just get handed to you. if you want something expensive then you had better prioritize and learn to save your money. they are learning a lot about budgeting. if they are working hard and doing well in school, and have saved a fair amount of money, i will help them buy something within reason. but they have to learn to lower their expectations, which is hard to do these days with so many kids getting everything they want. how does that make them better people?

3
6 0

I agree with you. I posted as well but it seems a few disagree with my answers. I give what I can and then some if it is earned and if they do more then they get a bit more money. I don't necessarily give money as a reward but something they like if it is within reason. I stated that more money will be an incentive if they keep up their grades and it works well for my boys since they like their stuff. Now if they have their heart set on something big then I tell them to save up for it and if they do good then I match the price or help them out if they need it. Granted it, I may be giving them a low amount but I based this on research as to what most parents have given their kids and so far it works just fine. One parent stated that it seemed way too low considering the cost of things but with birthdays, holidays, and occassional gifts, my kids make out pretty good. One son likes to buy junk while the other one saves so they seem happy with it and maybe when I win the lottery I will give them a raise but for now it works.

5 0

I have 4 kids. My two oldest are 13 and 11. They have to keep there rooms clean. On top of that one month they will do dishes everynight, including emptying the dishwaher when needed and the other will have to do laundry for that month. Then they switch the next month so they alternate. They are also required to take turns vaccuuming the basement when needed as that is where the family room is and they both hang out, this is pretty much every second day. For this they both have cell phones on my plan that costs me $25.00 a month each. This gives them unlimited texting, and I am able to contact them when ever they are out playing, at friends houses or if ever they run into trouble they can phone me or 911. They love this rather than money and it is a sence of security for me. If they do extra chores they can make a couple bucks, like weeding in the summer or driveways in the winter. My younger boys are 2 and 4. They do not get allowance but are required to keep there rooms clean and put there toys away when done playing with them.

3
10 15

Mine earn pocket money for good behaviour but will have so much taken away if naughty. Can earn back with helping mumny and daddy.

3
15 3

We do not give out allowances. We decided when the kids were young that we wanted them to appreciate the effort and work that goes into maintaining a home. It seemed that allowances were more of a bribe for good behavior and cooperation - and the implication was that they could bow out of chores (and good behavior, and cooperating) if they wanted to. As parents, we wanted them to understand that this wasn't an option.
The kids have daily/weekly chores they must do, as part of the family. They're also expected to help out when we have special family work weekends at home (like yard clean up, etc).
They can earn money by doing work for others (raking leaves for Grandma, babysitting, etc), and we also give them opportunities to get paid for extra projects (this summer my 13 yo wanted to earn extra funds and was paid $60 to dig a trench and fill it again after pipes were laid) that we would otherwise hire out. We've found that they appreciate their money when they really work for it. And they don't waste it, because it's not easily replaced.

2
10 27

No. I make my 10yo work for hers for last 2 years. She is paid chores and fined for misbehaving. It's real life you work for what you want as an adult. So if she wants to buy something she has to earn the money. 10% of what she earns goes to church/charity 20% goes into saving and the rest is for to spend. At the end of each month she has to pay her fines or loses and an appropriate time of privileges like real life.

1
6 0

my kids, 14 & 13 have allowances($7 and $6.50) they have 3 chores each a week that gets changed weekly. If they come home with bad grades or their chores are not done right, it gets taken away until improvements are made. They both clean their room once a week(sunday) and they clean their own bathroom on saturday. If they do extra around the house and get all A's they get more money as incentive.

1
0 0

So, is their allowance based on chores or are you basing it on everything? I can totally understand deducting money for slacking on the chores, but not sure how the grade thing fits into that. My children get a set amount per week for their chores (I have two sons, one 15 who earns $20/week and an 8 yr old who earns $10/week), but they also have a different set up for their grades. Now don't get me wrong, I am not made of money by any means and I don't have a money tree in the back yard! I am struggling like every other family. However, for the kids workload, I find that what they earn is very fair. But again, they have a different amount that they get for their grades. It's not fair that if you are only giving the 14 yr old $7 for their chores, that if they start to slip in a class that you would penalize them for what little they actually get. So what amount out of that small amount do they get penalized for their grades? I mean are you taking $5 if they slip a grade? Do you find that that amount of $2 would be fair for a weeks worth of work? Okay, maybe not $2, let's say half... Is that fair since they are still working on their chores? I'm just trying to understand the thought process behind this is all. In this day and age for being a 13 & 14 yr old, that amount of allowance is very little, and with the cost of things nowadays and the amount of activities that children are involved in, that sure doesnt seem like alot to have freedoms to do things financially.

64 0

My husband and I do not give our daughter an allowance. She does have chores she must complete on a daily basis. She does have to have good behavior. We are teaching her responsibility and that not every good thing you do is rewarded. Every time she completes a chore or behaves appropriately, she is thanked for it. We do show our appreciation. If there is something special she wants and she has been completing her chores and behaving properly, we will buy it for her. This does not mean she has to be perfect child. It's more like over the period of the time she must complete 90% of chores and basically have behaved. We are realistic parents and know she's going to be a kid. If we do not purchase what she wants, we do explain to her why we didn't. At times, we've had to give her a raincheck due to money restrainst...it's happened a lot recently. Also, her great-grandfather gives her $1.00 every single day...just because she's his first great-grandchild. When he returns the recycling and gets his nickel back for that, he gives her the money from that. She saves the money he gives her as well as what she receives as gifts for birthdays and holidays. She will not spend her money unless it is something she really wants.

0
12 35

i wonder....

i got children ages 6,5, sson 3 and 14 months i wouldlove to have some ideas

0
0 27

She get money for chores and spending money plus NIA don't like going to bed during the weekday so she gets $5.00 just for going to bed on time and everytime she is late when we home, I take $1 away. She spoiled by her daddy and his mother so she gets spending money from them to spend some and put in her bank.

0
2 7

my girls are 7 and 8 and i believe that it is a good time for them to start understanding what it means to earn thier own money, so they have chores that they do around the house. during the week if they see something that they want either at school, such as a ball game or book fair, they have an option to borrow from their allowance or let mommy pay for it, or if we go to the store for whtever we need that day, usually they borrow from thier allowance, b/c as the rules go, if they get it with thier own money, then it is something that they cannot be grounded from it, where as if mommy pays for it, then it is something that can be lost.....it has setbacks, but they understand if they mis-behave or have to be told more than 2 times to do their chores they will receive no allowance...

0
363 40

Our son (5 years old) doesn't do any chores worth giving an allowance for. Besides, he LIKES helping. He has his own broom and likes to use the Clorox wipes to clean his room. He likes to help stack dishes in the dishwasher and puts his dishes (plastic) in himself. Anything he can't handle, he puts in the sink like we've taught him. I suppose we'll figure something out when he asks about the concept.

0
0 10

this is very intersting question. accourding to me first we have to make them undertstand the value of money and give them one wallet and give them few money and just see whether they are able to keep it and manage it. then tell them to spend from that money for there needs on the basis priority like school stationary or transportation and not on unwanted things. and to keep account on what they are spending and how much? this will make them understand not to use money in unwanted things.first experiment at home say give them 200 rs and give them one week and see how theyspend and where they spend

0
0 1

I don’t give my kids an allowance for doing things like, vacuuming, dishes and cleaning the bath room or their room. I feel they live there too and should do their far share. We all do these things to together, one cleans the bath room, vacuums and one does the dishes. I do how ever make them earn money by letting do things like mow and clean up the lawn or shovel snow and they do that with other relatives or friends of the family as well. We find stuff for them to if they want money for such things like skating or anything recreational. I feel I have that have to work for anything extra I want so why they shouldn’t.

0
1 13

yep we have two beautiful children. Zac is 8yrs old and gets $20.00 per week pocket money. half is banked straight away and the other ten dollars is for all his chores, if he dosen't do all his chores or is really naughty we decuct that from his pocket money and that goes into a jar that he can earn back. My other son Stevie is 16months and we put $5.00 into his piggy bank each week. Good luck with what you decide to do..

0
113 36

My kids get a quarter for every chore they do. My daughter is 5 and gets up to $5/week and my two year old son get up to $2/ week. Since we are going to Disney World, we have just been putting the money into their savings account for them to spend there.

0
5 3

Yes, J is 5 yrs old and started last year. In order for him to appreciate the value of money, he is allowed to choose a toy he want and then it is his responsibility to save the amount (or close to it) needed to purchase said toy. He will do suitable chores and at this stage once he gives it he best he will receive 2euros (say 2 dollars). I have found this method has helped him in his understanding of money and also his adding and subtracting. He now will choose to do chores himself in order to save for something in the future.

0
9 78

My 8 yr. old son has chores to do & some of it is just day to day stuff too, like brushing his teeth etc. I have a wipe off chart on the side of the fridge & we check off what he does each day. He gets .10 cents for each thing he does. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up quickly if he does all he is supposed to do. He also gets change that I put in his piggy bank & then when it's full it goes into a savings account & when his CD comes up for renewal then what is in his savings goes into it. The change I do this with is strictly for when he is old enough for a car or for going to college. The allowance he earns he can save it up to buy what he wants.

0
87 12

My 4 year old (she will be 5 in 3 weeks) gets $2 a week and my 3 year old son gets $1.50. I did research and it seems the consensus is to give a child half their age in allowance to teach them to budget and not to tie it to chores and if they want more money make them do extra things ON TOP OF ASSIGNED CHORES (meaning don't pay them extra to do everyday chores, have them paint a fence or wash a car). My kids decided to dust my dad's house for fun and my grandpa told them to go ask my grandma to pay them and they each made $5! (They dusted for 1-2 hours).

0
8 28

I have an 8yr old and a 5yr. Both get $3.00 a week and $1.00 of that they use for their Sunday School offering. They both have saved it and put it in the bank and then also put money together to get a Wii game. They must do aga approiate chores. My son is focused on the animals and my daughter is the bathroom. She isn't expected to do the whole thing yet. She started with the counter top. Now the tub as been added. As she grows more responnsibility is added. They both also take care of their rooms and put their clothes away after I fold them from laundry. It might be time to add a little more money but neither have pushed and times are tough for everyone.

0