Do you have any recipes for homemade cleaning supplies?

Many moms make their own cleaning supplies to save money or avoid using unnecessary chemicals. What are some of your recipes for homemade cleaning supplies?

1 4

For homemade "OxiClean" to remove stains from clothes:

1 c. water
1/2 c. peroxide
1/2 c. baking soda

Mix; keep in a plastic container or jar.
Apply to stains or soak laundry for about 20 minutes or longer before laundering.

10
0 8

HOME MADE FABRIC SOFTNER
1 c. hair conditioner (I use suave $1 @ the $ store)
1 c. white vinegar
2 c. water
Mix together. Don't shake, mixture will foam.
Use 1/4 c to each load of laundry. You can make more just be sure 1 part conditioner, 1 part white vinegar, and 2 part water. I love the smell of my clothes.

9
0 0

That's funny, because I used to use Downey fabric softener on my hair when I was a teen.

12 15

Homemade Lavender Laundry Detergent

Ingredients:
4- 4oz. bars of grated Castile soap
1- 78 oz. box of Borax
8- 16 oz. boxes of baking soda
3 tblsp. lavender essential oil

Directions:
1. Grate the soap using a cheese grater or food processor.
2. Once the soap is all grated, throw it into a large plastic pail with the remaining ingredients and mix it all together. You now have your own homemade powder laundry detergent! Each load only takes 2 tablespoons of detergent, so this one batch will cover 288 loads of laundry.

6
12 15

You can substitute any essential oil if you prefer a different fragrance, or you can omit it for an unscented product.

57 2

A mixture of salt and epsom salts works great on a greasy stove as you scrub it absorbs. I use it for pet messes too, or on cabinets. It works kinda like comet, also good to scrub ring in bathtub.

3
2 0

It's a good body exfoliater also

3 15

1/3 isopropyl alcohol, 2/3 water, couple of drops of dawn (blue) dish detergent, good general cleaner for counter tops, stainless steel, and glass. Makes things shine!

3
711 9

For cleansing fruits and vegetables from the market use:

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
1-2 tsp. baking soda
10 drops of Grape Seed Oil (Grape seed oil bottle allows it to come out in drops)

For cleaning windows......forget about Windex and others

For bathroom mirrors: Wet a paper towel; Take the lid off of a small bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar and moisten the towel once or twice by placing the moistened towel on the bottle and tipping it over and up quickly (only takes a bit of vinegar). Wipe mirror with this towel and dry with a clean, dry paper towel.

For windows: Fill a bowl with water, add 2-3 caps full of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water...use a cloth or paper towel to wash and a dry cloth or paper towel to dry!

3
3 7

do you use Apple Cider Vinegar b/c it smells better? cheaper? more effective? I have both at home...I read it also takes off stickers and gummy things...where Windex won't...:)

3 7

I have a water and bleach solution on my kitchen counter next to my sink..and it IS properly labeled....1 to 10 ...and I use it on counter tops...bathroom toilet tops...bathroom sink....spills where bleach is tolerated...i would never waste my $$$ on stuff like..409...etc...works GREAT...sterile..and clean...you can scent it if you so desire...:)

3
7 19

I like the idea of scenting the bleach solution. Any suggestions? I love the smell of a product that the Good Home Company puts out, but refuse to pay the huge price for their cleaner. I would, however buy their scented spray if I could use it in a cleaner like that. I indulge and buy their laundry scent. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I rationalize that some people pay $25 a month or so for Starbucks... I make my laundry smell good!! lol

0 0

I use straight apple cider vinegar. It cuts through the tough grease on my stove and it leaves all surfaces sparkling clean and very nice smelling. Cheap and easy

2
1 1

Why are so many people using vinegar? It does not sterilize anything and the amount of bleach used when mixed with water cleans, disinfects and keeps your home germ free.

2
12 15

Vinegar is a good all-purpose cleaner. It kills germs and when used with salt or hydrogen peroxide can even kill e coli. Chlorine bleach is poisonous and must be used in a well-ventilated area. It is recommended to use bleach sparingly. The production process for chlorine bleach is pretty nasty; it releases cancer-causing dioxin as well as brain-damaging mercury into the air surrounding chlorine plants. If you have kids in the house, you need to take precautions: According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, chlorine bleach poisoned 14,400 children under age 6 in 2007 (the last year for which data is available).

27 0

If you know anything about surfaces vinegar is the very worst cleaner there is. I have a cleaning business. I know surfaces. Vinegar on wood floors will dull the finish and later it will sink into the wood and bleach and damage it. It is a acid! If you use it in tile, it will etch the finish and weaken the grout. If you use it on marble again it will damageand etch the finish. Some home made recipes are okay. Most aren't.
I only deal with the manufactors when I have a new surface I am cleaning that I don't know. Because if I dont deal with the manufactor and damage the surface I am responsible. When you spend a lot of money on your home the key is to know how to clean it instead of using these bizarre recpies that can cause damage. Having the right equipment and knowing how to clean will save you thousands of dollars and make your house shines micro fiber mop will cut your cleaning time in half. It is amshould have tool. To clean wood floors you need to vaccum, wipe up spills and use as little water as possible on them. But everyone knows if you have children they get dirty. The new wood floors will streak and damage if you don't clean them right. You can use a spray bottle full of water and spray the floor and use the micro fiber mop to mop, Dirtier than that? Take your mop pads roll them up and put in a bucket of water. They need a little time to absorb water. Then wring the heck out if them. And mop your floor. Changing water and pads as it gets dirty. The key to your floor to keep it shiny is to dry it. It keeps the finish from being damaged, and the floors look perfect. Dirtier than that? Use one squirt of dawn dish soap. And clean and dry. Water should honestly do it. Most manufactors today make sure their supplies are green if you would prefer to use a cleaner.
The new tile travastine and others if you use vinegar it etches and breaks down the grout and strips the sealer. If it is in your shower...the manufactors suggest dawn and a soft scrubbing brush the key to any bath tub or shower is to get all of the cleaner off. And to dry it after each use. Let the fan run for 30 minutes after the shower to prevent mold. Wiping down the shoer or tub after each use keeps hard water, lime from building up and etching your glass doors and etching the finish. Using a few drops of dawn in your water bucket cleans your floors and drying them keeps them clean and shiny.
Instead iPod using vinegar to clean mirrors ... It will wear the finish off of them. Use soap. Buy a window squeegee ...lowes sales these for about $8.00 use them to dry showers, windows and doors. For mirrors..use a rag with a little soap and wash your mirror, or window and then use the squeegee. Buy a good one and it will last for years. Use a glass cloth to wipe the streaks. Every town has a janitorial supply house and these cost as little as $1.50. Use these to dry chrome, dust and to shine furniture. They are lint free. To use on furniture you barely spray it with water and wipe off your furniture. Since they catch lint they also leave everything streak free.
I am not a fan of vinegar or products if you using it to clean and have no idea how it will damage your finish on surfaces. There are times when I will use it, with hard water build up if there is no other recourse....but I dab it and scrape. Then rinse. I always confer with the home owner before I do this. I also will sometimes use vinegar in rinsing clothes.
If you have brand new furniture, flooring, or counter tops, marble. Check your warrenty before you use anything! You can and will void it if you don't know what cleaners they suggest. Manufactor not the salesman. He doesn't care or half the time doesn't know! Some manufactors only want you to clean with their product. They track you on their computer! If something happens and you need to use that warrenty they can void it if you don't purchase it. The manufactor can also tell you how to clean with what to clean and what not to clean with. Whew...that is my rant for the night. I know others mean well but knowing your surface will save you money. So before you mix up what you consider green home made cleaners you better know what it does to your surface. And honestly cleaning is as simple as adding a little dish soap or finding the right answers just look for the manufactors and ask them, Sherrie

1
2 0

I am going to have to disagree with you on the vinegar. My wood floors are over a hundred years old, that is all that has been used on them except a little wax about every 10 years...They are just as shiny and in tip top shape as the day my grandfather put them in... Sorry you are a "slave" to the chemicals....kinda like a doctor being a "slave" to the pharmacies, and their drugs. Natural is much better for you and the environment. Why would I consult the manufactors? All they are doing is padding the chemical making factories pockets, and vice versa

5 5

I love anything that works and stretches the home budget!

1
1

instead of using easy off to clean the oven equal amounts of baking soda and vinegar will createthe same effect..Just sprinklethe baking soda evenly on the bottom of the oven and pour in vinegar. Works like a charm.

0
0 6

This is a good idea.

0
0 0

I know that bleach and amonia are a deadly combo. I have heard that for grease spots to iron it on the wrong side onto maybe a paper towels. It will absorb the grease..

0
2 0

If you are interested in using non-toxic, safer, better cleaners in your home, please contact me @
baskindelight@gmail.com

0
0 3

Enjo is my answer with only one chemical called water - I haven't used harsh cleaning chemicals or sprays since the Sydney Olympics 2000. Saving me time, finances and health.

0