Do you have thoughts on Montessori compared to daycare programs?

Parents put a lot of consideration into deciding what time of preschool or daycare program is right for their toddler. Please share any thoughts you have on Montessori programs compared to other programs.

1 25

My vote is for Montessori. I had my oldest son in Montessori from 2 1/2 to 5+ and we had my youngest in for a year and a half until we had to switch to a 'traditional' although Christian preschool due to finances and job changes. In comparing the two, I feel Montessori was a better prep for life and academics. Grant it, the are two different kids, but my oldest is definitely more focused when it comes to school. I love the way Montessori balances arts and academics. The bases for math are established early on and stay with them. I also appreciate their approach to reading. They introduce the letter sounds first, not necessarily the letter name. With math, they use many different manipulatives/tools to allow the children to 'SEE' how much 100 actually is and represents. Overall, the Montessori environment is all encompassing and a great mix for kids. Remember, they truly are sponges and the 'preschool' years are the most formative and important for their academic future. Best of luck in your decisions!

1
3 27

My girls both started at a Montessori school when they were 3, almost 4. They are both still attending that school (my oldest is 10 and the youngest 7). I am a big fan of Montessori done well. In addition to solid academics, my girls are receiving lessons on and reinforcement of social skills. They have already given several presentations, have resolved disputes with classmates using peace treaties, have amazing self confidence, know how to question adults respectfully, I highly recommend Montessori for kids.

1
5 28

I've worked in both settings and then I had kids and looked at both settings for my kids from a mom's perspective. I'm a mom of 4. Hands down Montessori program is the way to go once they are 3 and up. The age when they start to benefit the most is at age 3 although many Montessori's have a 2 year old program which can be excellent if done properly. My advice is if you are looking at Montessori is to look at a few of them to compare them because some claim to be Montessori but they are not true Montessori. Look up the site here http://www.amshq.org/

1
4 12

Berenice, I do agree with you. No all school that claim to be Montessori are, I worked at another "Montessori" school and it was a nightmare. The owner was screaming at my son, and the teacher ratio was way off. You really have to compare, and if something doesn't feel right, it usually isn't. Out of the three different Montessori school that I have worked at, the one I mentioned was the only one I found to be like that.

4 12

I work at a Montessori school, and I definitely wholeheartedly believe that the Montessori atmosphere is a peaceful, caring, and beautiful learning environment for children. My own son does not go to the school, only because I can't afford to send him there. But the children I work with are excited to be there and are fully engaged in learning. I work as an aftercare teacher and by the time I see my little friends they should be exhausted and ready to go home. But the truth is they don't want to go home! :) Though I know it may not be for everyone, children have different learning styles, and some Montessori schools do not the services that some children need. I still believe that it is an incredible learning environment, and I am happy to be part of it.

0
2,843 7

Montessori schools aren't regulated, so the curriculum from one to the other is different. They don't all follow Maria Montessori's philosophy on teaching. So in the end it comes down to just comparing individual preschools.

However if you find a Montessori that properly follows her teaching philosophy it can be really beneficial for the child, if you can afford it. The programs are often very expensive.

0
14 7

I have had a very poor experience with Montessori, not on a curriculum level but a social one. My daughter was raised with zero prejudice - and she's probably Aspbergers, so right there already socially impaired. Personally, I'd made the decision NOT to send to mainstream school. Montessori had just opened a child care facility in the area, so this centre was one year young when we sent my daughter. There was a physically handicapped boy there. He was ostrasised by the other children. Most were girls. My daughter went right up and spoke with him as if he wasn't different (he had to use walking aids) and started talking to him. Immediately she was the target of bullying. She was three at the time. Half the time the other children either ignored her or were downright rude and nasty. There was NO intervention AT ALL from staff. The curriculum never suited my daughter anyway. I did intergrate some of Maria's curriculum when I began to homeschool my children and they loved it. My advice is: to be sure the staff are actually equipped to deal with little crises - the staff at this new centre had NO CLUE or they didn't care.

3 11

Am eager to knw abt this topic my toddler hasn't started school yet coz I work from home but I would love to as much information on this as possible because. She will start by september and I want to give her the best!

0
12 37

I, personally, love the Montessori program and am anxiously awaiting to hear if my daughters will have spots in our local school for this fall. It takes children and gets them prepared for education, it makes education fun and not a burden, and in my own age group, I know that the majority of my friends who went through Montessori found school and college/university allot easier as a result of it.

0