Do You Think It Is Okay To Re-Gift?

During the holidays and birthdays, it is very likely you or your children will receive presents you will never use. Do you think it is okay to re-gift them? Why or why not?

3 0

I have regifted and will continue to do so. If someone else can or will use a gift that I was given that I am not using I see no harm in it. Would you be offended to recieve a gift if you knew the person bought it on sale or got it at a discount? Not me!!! It is the thought that I was thought of in the first place!!!

18
0 20

I absolutely think it's okay to re-gift...Just make sure your not giving it back to the person whom gave it to you:

14
7 20

Absolutely. It's the thought that counts! I mean if it's fitting to the recipient, of course. I'm raising my son to not have high standards when it comes to material items; which is why we bring 2 of his toys or items to the thrift store when he gets a new one. he's 3 years old and will even pick out the toys that he's "played with enough, because he wants other kids to get a chance to play with them too" (coming from him). I inspect what he picks out before we buy it because the thrift store by our house unfortunately often re-sells recalled items. overall I believe there is nothing wrong with regifting. whoever is receiving should be thankful for anything they get given the economy these days!

11
2 19

Re-gifting is tricky. I would never re-gift something that was intended to be a sentimental treasure from someone close to me like my parents, husband or kids even if I didn't like it. I would re-gift only if I knew for a fact the giver of the gift would never come to my house & ask to see the gift. I would also never re-gift if the packaging was not in excellent condition. An exception to this would be me and my long time friend who have an agreement that it's ok to give each other something not necessarily brand new because we know each others hearts and intentions.

9
1 4

I normally donate unwanted gift items. I also do the same with duplicate toys from birthday parties. For this I put them in a hidden spot in the garage and when the holidays come I am ready to give to families in need.

Pam

7
1 52

I have not "re-gifted" things before. But I have given them away via Freecycle.

5
0 0

I agree with giving things away to someone who can use them, but I do not regift it in a wrap it up and give it as a birthday/holiday/othergiftreceiving day or in anyway present it as an "I picked it out and thought it would be perfect for you kind of thing. I'm more of a "hey, I got this thing from my mother in law, and I really like it, but I like it more for you than for me. Want it?" kind of a girl.

4
0 11

I agree with Kim...

91 27

yes, it's perfectly great to regift! Regifting = less waste/clutter
If you are not going to use something that was given to you as a gift, give it to someone who can/will use it! Just don't give it back to the person who gave it to you, cuz that's just plain tacky.

The things I regift the most are gift cards. (full ones, of course!)

4
0 16

Gift cards?

6 7

sure. My mom has done that for years. When I don't have the money to give a gift for an occasion, I may give what I have been given, if it fits the person.

4
1 0

I give unwanted gifts to charity and on 1or2 occassions
to the maid or butler.I am not offended to be on the re-
ceiving end of an unwanted gift.

4
0 4

"to the maid or butler" ??!!

8 9

I see nothing wrong in re-gifting. Sometimes you get a gift you have no use for... it's a duplicate, doesn't fit, etc. If you don't have a sales receipt, it can often be difficult to return or exchange. So why not 're-gift' to someone who would love to have it.

4
0 12

I say No if I can't use it and someone else can I would be happy to give it to someone else but NOT re-gift !!!

3
0 8

regifting is fine when done right-JUST USE SOME COMMON SENSE!!

3
14 25

Thats Right! Be mindful of how and what YOU want to recieve when re-gifting! I agree!

18 0

What do you do when you re-gift something and that person asks for a gift receipt because it's not what they need/want lol ~~ for those of your without a sense of humor, this was a joke.

3
8 9

You have to think fast! ...You did so much shopping that day, you really don't remember where you got it. And you can't find the receipt..you must have lost it/thrown it away. Then...you either offer to get them something else, or take them to lunch to make up for it!

32 22

Yes, and... be careful. Somehow I can detect when I receive one because it does not really fit who I am. Of course I am thankful for the gift. Since I don't want to give it away - re-gift a suspected re-gift, I will offer it to a charity group so someone else can use it. Be careful that when you do re-gift, that the present fits the person on the receiving end. Then it is well purposed.

3
2 10

I would rather donate to charity than take a chance on offending the giver! Plenty of places to donate new toys & clothing.

2
2,319 9

If the giver is possibly going to be offended, aren't they going to be equally offended that it's given to charity just as much as if it's given as a gift to a new recipient!

0 0

Of course! Re-gift or donate! It's silly to waste toys (or clothes or anything else for that matter!!)

2
0 18

Absolutely! I have re-gifted many times, items that could not be used and that were or are like new. Besides the times being tough, it's also a great opportunity to teach your child about the importance of "it's the thought that counts" an that it is truly better to give than to receive.

2
0 0

I have regifted a few items in my past, but more often if I have been given something I can't use, I donate it to a local auction (school, Rotary club, non-profit). A lot of times they're either able to put it on their auction table, combine it with other items to make an auction item basket, or use it as a raffle prize. I guess I feel like this is more appropriate than 'pawning' off my unwanted gifts/stuff. However, I do believe that it you've received something that is outside of your personal style/taste but you know of someone that it would suit perfectly, it could be appropriate to either regift (if the right occasion presents itself) or just give it to them.

2
0 13

I usually can tell if I am the receiver of a re-gift and I DONT like it!! Usually it isn't something suited to me. I would rather not get anything!

2
343 1

Yes they aren't going to be used so they would end up being donated to charity anyways so why not give them to someone elses kid? Of course make sure it is NOT the child of the person who gave it to you in the first place.

2
0 0

Some of my daughters' favorite Christmas and birthday presents have been items their older cousins used and have outgrown. They have also passed on favorite toys to my younger goddaughter so that she can have as much fun with them as they did. If the present is "gently used", I let the receiver know that it is something I thought they would like or can use. However, it the present is just something that isn't "me" and it is still in the orignal packaging, there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving it to another person who would like it more.

1
0 67

I have on many occasions esp with baby items and other items that i know my friends would use that i would not. I have also donated duplicate items to charities for those unfortunate.

1
3 20

The question should not be is it OK but rather why not? Any new item or homemade item not used (of course unless it is an antique) is fine to regift. After all isn't it truly the thought that counts? I did receive one regift that I thought was just totally wrong. Someone had given me a set of high ball glasses with a design on them in some kind of goldish glitter in a brass type holder or basket. These were well worn glasses(some of the decoration was coming off in many places and they looked well used) that had been around for awhile the basket actually had rust on it and the color was rubbed off in places. Our families were friends and these were not some kind of family heirloom or an antique or anything nice. I thought that maybe they felt they had to give me a gift but didn't want to buy anything so they opened up their cupboard and wrapped up these old glasses. I would have rather not been given a gift at all because I didn't like feeling that someone felt they HAD to give me a gift. I just don't like to make people feel obligated to me.

1
0 12

I have been re gifting for years, my sisters have eczema but often got given smellies that they couldn't use, so we were taught to keep them nice (and labelled so not to give them back to same person) and recycle them to someone that could use it. This practice has stuck with us all over the years & we are all re-gifters. Saves money too.

1
0 20

Of course I do and will keep on doing. Sometimes my kids receive the same toy, or one they already had. So do I waste my time going to a store to change to change it? No, it is a waste of my time, and sometimes it was bought in clearance and you would end up paying for something that was a gift. If I never get to regift it I donate it to charity.

1
0 53

I've re gifted pollyanna type stuff. It's usually stuff I don't use. I don't need more knick knacks to dust or another scarf. However, I gave my sister in law for their wedding a very expensive picture frame. An item costing a few hundred dollars. We didn't receive anything for our wedding in August. Except months later it was wrapped up & given to us at Thanksgiving as a wedding gift. I was a little annoyed. I knew the value & all but I don't know, the situation was hard to read. Why she gave it to us months later like that I don't know. Almost like she knew I would like it cuz I originally picked it out for her....don't know. I've never re-gifted anything large like that before but have done like others just donated it to a good cause/shelter etc.

1
3 20

She regifted the gift you gave her back to you? One word... TACKY. Did she use it? If so DOUBLE TACKY. If it was a beautiful gift she NEVER used and was given to her by someone other than you it would have been OK but DAMN that is low class... Unless of course they have "No Money" if that's the reason I kinda understand...

0 3

Absolutely! Just make sure your children know....imagine the scene if you regift something he/she really wanted to keep. Next flash to the scene where your child sees his/her gift opened by someone else....ain't pretty!

1
0 0

I think it is absolutely okay to re-gift, as long as it is done appropriately. I make sure that the re-gift is something my friend would need and is appropriate to their situation (i.e. baby items for an expectant mother). People have way too much unneeded clutter and material goods these days. Instead of going out and buying something new that costs money and raw materials, you are making sure that all items are put to good use.

1
0 0

I usually regift things I don't want to a White Elephant game at Christmas time :)

1
0 0

yes, it is fine to re-gift. If you are not going to use a gift or like it. It is much better to have something usable.... and re-gifting is a useful solution.

1
0 0

Yes absolutely.

1
5 15

REGIFT, RECYCLE, REUSE,_ Three words I live by! My mother in law is ALWAYS giving me gifts that I will never, ever use or wear. She has even giving me duplicate gifts from years before, not because she thinks I would like them but because she can't remember from year to the next what she has given me! Clothes are ALWAYS the wrong size or some hideous style that I would never be seen out in public wearing! She puts absolutely no thought into her gift giving just buys whatever is on sale. She also removes any & all tags so you have absolutely no way of exchanging the item, and then gets offended if you ask for the receipt to exchange. I don't mean to sound materialistic-because I'm not- but it would be nice to receive a gift that she put some thought into, or at least, ASK ME what I would like( or even what size I wear)
If the gift better suits someone else, I'm regifting it! If the gift can be recycled into something else, its recycled! If someone, somewhere, can get good use of the gift- its being donated! FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: if you are unsure about someones style or size, ASK!!!!!!! or enclose a gift receipt so the gift can be exchanged!

1
0 9

Sound like you don't care too much for your mom in law

18 12

I have been known to re-gift a few items. Usually, I receive from one side of the family and re-gift to the other side of the family. Also, I have re-gifted baby items (in my family and among my friends, one item sees use through several families in its lifetime, particularly things for newborns to one year).

1
1

Regifting is cheap and dishonest as the one doing it. The recipient feels offended. Why? Well the person regifting was not thinking about you at all, they were thinking about who they can give this gift to that they got from someone else. They did not take the time to purchase the gift for you, they gave you something they did not want and put there name on it as if they bought it specifically for you. They could of said, honestly, I have this gift I got that I don't want, can you use it? That is fine but regifting it and passing it off as if you actually thought about them when you purchased the gift is incredibly dishonest and cheap.

0
2,319 9

It's fine to re-gift something which you'll not use - as long as you've carefully thought about it and you're not just "dumping" something on someone else that they'll also have no use for.

Children's gifts are a little different though. Is it fair to re-gift a child's present? If they didn't like the gift from Aunty Jane but their 2 siblings DID like the gifts THEY got from the same person - how do you compensate your child? And how do you do so in such a way that that his/her siblings don't decide he/she got the better end of the deal and they're now concerned with "trading" every single future gift they get from anyone like "Do I want to keep this? Or can I get Mom to give it to one of my cousins and perhaps she'll give me some money ..."

With some things it's easier to simply take it back to the store and swap for something else - providing you know where it's been purchased. You won't get a cash refund without the receipt but you can usually exchange for something else.

0
8 0

Absolutely! As long as you don't accidentally gift it back to the person who gave it to you!! LOL!!!

0
0 3

I think it is perfectly okay to re-gift, however it is a careful process. I remember a holiday where a family member re-gifted an item I had given them the previous year and I was really hurt. Not only because it was done right in front of me, but also because I usually put a lot of thought into what I am giving someone, (especially since I am a single mom with limited income and have to try to find nice gifts for family members with a lot more money than me). I guess if I was going to regift I would make sure to keep track of where the gift came from etc.

0
71 19

i think its ok to regift how ever i think its a crime to sit with good that you will never use or that still has a tag on it, just think you could save anouther mommie monney (we all want to do that) and time to go buy the goodie, anouther baby could benafit from it???? but um PLEASE just make shure you dont give it back to the lovely lady that bought it for you in the first place ;-)

0
631 96

yes ... be practical and wise... someone somewhere can use them -

0