Do your kids have facebook?

If your kids have facebook, what age did you start letting them use it? Do you monitor their usage? If you haven't allowed them to use facebook, why not?

2 31

My son is 13 and has a Facebook. The rules are: I must always have his current password and he must be friends with me. I randomly check his FB page and if I were to find anything inappropriate he would be removed from FB.

10
0 44

I'm agree with you Rachel, my husband & I do the same thing to my daughter (13 yrs). Our policy is "No Password, No Facebook" and "No password, No Twitter".

3 30

My 16, 10, and both 11 year olds have a Facebook page. I set it up, I created the password, and I added friends before they even had access to it. I get a copy of every notification in my inbox that is sent to them and I monitor them regularly. We moved across the country last year and they have really enjoyed being able to communicate with family and old friends. I think as long as it is supervised, it is okay. I also delete any people they might have friend-ed who I don't know. They know that if they abuse the privilege, I will take it away.

7
17 11

I didn't let my girls get them until 13. the rules say 13 and I try to teach them to follow the rules at all times. I think when you break the rules for your kids you are teaching them to cheat to get what they want. I also make them friend me and I have their passwords. so far no problems, but what mom giveth, mom can take away!

5
0 0

We made our oldest daughter wait until she was 13 also. My eleven year old wants one but knows she has to wait (to play games, she sometimes gets on my husbands account with supervision). It has become something of a teaching tool...she sees first hand how some of her peers talk and deal with things outside of school (good & bad). I have deleted "friends" who consistently behave innappropriately and my daughter has had no problem with that.

0 0

No! I think the age to have a FB account is 18. If my son wants to communicate with his friends then he can call them. I just believe in letting kids stay kids. FB is an adult site. Not a site for children.

4
27 7

My daughter, 13, has a fb. She has had one for years. This is how we have handled all accounts for all 3 of my kids. I have passwords and user names for everything. If they have laptops or a desktop they can not clear the history or lock them. Ipods, phones all completely open to me and my husband. NOTHING is allowed to be deleted(texts, calls) unless we are asked first. When we are asked we may or may not take the mentioned item and check it right then. We can at any point walk up to a child even as a text or call is coming in and and "check" the contents of the phone. If the child is on the comp I can walk and hover as I please any extra clicks will result in an immediate check. NOW having said what a tailhole we are I will also tell you that 1) I have seen some things that I really wish I hadn't. Not "OOOOO You are in trouble things" just stuff. 2) the same applies for me and my husband. Now of course I will tell my kids they may really not want to see what me and hubby have been texting, my oldest learned that the hard way, but everything else is open. My oldest will be 22 this July, middle is 20 and as mentioned my youngest is 13. The older ones appreciate what we did and the youngest ? It is just part of her life. If they are doing what is right they will have nothing to hide and will not mind this. It helps to catch some things that may start them on the wrong paths. It will also let you know a little more about your kids. Not to be used against them.

4
0 8

I also found I learnt alot about their friends.

3 26

My children are not on facebook. They are 10 and 6 and I don't think facebook is appropriate for children.

4
2 4

I have an 11 year old granddaughter whom I raise. I let her onto Facebook two years ago under my email. I get notification every time anyone sends her requests, posts on her page, etc. I monitor everything she posts and put the security on to only let family see her profile. She knows that I monitor it and if there is a time when she starts questioning me about it, she will no longer have it. That is my right as her guardian raising her to monitor her with everything she does and reads.

3
0 0

wen your in year 6 on lessor you can go court fo going on facebook but am in year 4 and am 9 i really wat to get facebook but my mu dousent let me. some people get idicting in facebook.

0 13

If your child is not 13 they should not have facebook. There is a reason for the age limit. A lot of material that is not appropriate for children gets posted. Adults who are on, may post something on their own wall not realizing that their younger "friend" will also see it. It should be up to the parent though, if you feel your child is mature enough to handle it, and you set it up for them and monitor it. Block inappropriate material when you set it up. But also know that if facebook finds out that a user is under thirteen, they will suspend the account, and remove the page.

2
0 16

our teenager has FB and as long as we monitor his usage he gets to continue using it. Our 10 year old does not, despite the fact that she requests it almost weekly. Our reason? Facebook rules state a person must be 13. I expect her to follow the rules for social media sites as I do for rules anywhere else, i.e. school, library, walking home from a friend's, etc.

1
10 54

yes all three of my children have a facebook account. I do monitor it very closely and have told my children if I find anything unappropiate on thier page I WILL DELETE THIER PAGE AND THEY WILL NOT GET IT BACK. I did not let my 2 older children have facebook until they got into middle school. My youngest ( he is 11) has a facebook that I use as a reward for his behaior and doing his chores( he has ADHD and ODD) and it has worked well.

1
3 6

My daughter is 14 and has a fcebook page since she was 12. I set it up for her and know her pass word. she uses mostly to talk to her friend from school and the friends that have moved away. I know all of her friends on face book and have some of them as my friends. I trust my daughter and know that she wouldn't talk to someone that she don't personally. I don't check on her site that often. when someone "be friends" her and she don't know them, she will ask me if I know that person and if I don't she wont accept the friend. it is all in trusting your child.

1
4 13

When our oldest turned 14 we gave him fb. I set it up and set all the privacy standards and made sure I friended myself. He is now 16 and realizes the rules very thoroughly. He is not allowed to untag himself if I tag him in a pic (which I do very seldom and nothing embarrassing), he is not allowed to friend people he doesn't know (which I monitor and ask about), he is not allowed to change his password, etc. Fortunately, if he tries the latter, my husband is a computer wiz who can block down everything tighter than Fort Knox if need be. :)

1
27 7

LOL My kids expect the embarrassing tags as do all their friends. I have even done a turtle tag for my oldest cuz he is slow as mess.

0 0

my mum onley lets us to have facebook wen were in year 7.

0
1 0

let them get one. they are going to get one anyway. dont hide them from the world. set them free and be there to root them on and give them a boost when they fall.

0
111 0

I don't think kids should be on facebook. Even as an adult I find it hard sometimes to deal with issues that come with any social media. I did not find a parental control on it and even if there is, kids do not need to worry about what they say and how they look in a picture...

0
1,568 0

No. The oldest is only 9 though. I'm hearing that more and more kids and teens are moving from facebook to other things anyway. It's kind of old news... and something their parents use.

0
12 0

Personally, I don't see no need for my children-or any children for that matter-to need to go on Facebook. Facebook is a social network that really is geared towards adults and older teens. If my children want to socialize with their friends they can do so at school, basketball practice, dance class, cub scouts, cheerleading, or any of the other activities they are involved in. If they want to play games, we break out the Monopoly Millionaire, Connect Four, Operation, or even a good old fashioned game of Go Fish or Rummy. When my kids are bored and I want them out of my hair for a little while, they go outside and play in the backyard or ride their bikes up and down the driveway. They are too young to need to socialize over the internet and there are so many games out there that are educational and promote social skills such as turn taking and sharing. Kids these days spend far too much time with their faces glued to one screen or another and my kids are no exception to that rule. They have a Wii, an XBox, a DS, and a PSP. But there are rules connected to those game systems, such as no video games on school days. I would rather my kids get outside and breath fresh air and play with their friends face-to-face rather than sitting couped up in the house watching the grass grow (literally) on Farmville.

0
0 12

My daughter started using FB about 2 years ago to play the games - she was 8 - & loved to play a lot of the games I played on there. Now she just turned 11 & most of her friends have accounts, & they "skype" each other & send messages back & forth. I have to approve her "friends", & she has to ask b-4 she can "skype" someone. She also asks b-4 joining in another game on there. So far, it has worked for us. Maybe they should start a FB just for kids, where they can only have certain games or whatever & shut it down by 10 PM or so.

0
0 38

My son is 12 and it's a definate NO! Facebook in my opinion is not for children. I been actively on it for approximately 5 years and I've seen it all. My child does not need to be in the mix of the online world of BS. Also, you you have many preverted creeps, stalkers, etc out there. I rather be safe than sorry!

0
0 8

My daughters are 12 & 15. Both have Facebook. The rules are: I must have their passwords, I must be friends with them, everything must be set as private, nothing mentioning where they live or go to school. I check their pages all the time and they know this. I figure if you say no they will get it anyway so might as well agree and be in a position to police it.

0
6 26

My eldest is 17 so old enough but I have him as a friend so only tell him off about bad language ect,my daughter is nearly 13 so I have her password & check her messages daily & warn her about dangers like not arranging to meet friends unless by speaking to them as they may no even be the friend on their online profile,think we should keep reminding them of these dangers regularly ,u can't be too careful

0
5 16

my daughter is 11 and has had a facebook account for about 3 years now and she plays the games on it and both her gran and me both no her password and we can only add friends for her, i think as long at they r being watched its okay, and she also talks to her cousins on it as well x

0
5 6

My granddaughter has facebook. But I'm thinking very heavyily about getting rid of hers and mine. Facebook is a weapon not a tool to find friends, or play games. The young kids in our town are being watched by the OPP right now because they are hackiing each others accounts and causing problems. We have been harrassed by someone who has used it to call my granddaughter some horrible names and just continue to cause issue. There is a legal age limit on Facebook...... Here it is 14 before you can have one. other places its 18, The OPP are telling the parents that if their children are caught on FB they will be fined $750. The IP addresses are being watched.

0
26 4

My daughter is 7 and she has a Facebook page. It is really not for social purposes, as she is not really old enough to have any interest in that, she got it because of all the games that she likes to play, and would clutter up my page with. We created it using a fake name, it does not display a picture, is completely privatized, and set to not show up in a search. It is monitored completely by me, the only friends she has are ones that I've approved, and each of them has agreed to change their posting settings so that their status/shares/likes will not show up on her wall. Only gaming feed. As for the games, I have to check them out before she's allowed to play (so no Mafia Wars). This system works for us right now. I'm sure it will change as she gets older, and we'll have to adjust our rules, but for right now I feel completely safe with the situation. Like some of the other parents said, I do plan on always having her password and complete access to her page.

0