Does your child's school do lockdown drills, and if so, how does your child feel about them?

1

Please read the letter written by my husband and put publicly on his FB page. My 8th grade son's and 6th grade daughter's Middle School implemented an unannounced (not even to teachers) passing period locklown drill, Thursday, December 12. Chaos ensued. Safety is of course of utmost importance at our schools. The violence occurring at schools in our country is unfathomable. But can one be truly prepared for the unfathomable?

https://www.facebook.com/hans.graffunder?ref=br_rs

0
102 39

The worst thing we could do is not be ready. Knowing what to do can stop hundreds from death. I have two kids and like a lot of parents tried to make sure my kids did not watch the news if something bad was on. From kids missing to school shooting.I have come to understand that its wrong to do so. We only make our self's feel better and don't prepare our kids when they might need it. After my 10 yr old did not come home and put me in panic mode I now have them both watch and learn. Because no matter how many times we tell them and try to get them to understand bad people are out there. They need to see and hear it to get it. We no longer live in a world where they can go play and be kids, they need to be kids whom watch whats going on around them and be ready for what could happen.

0
0 0

My children's school sent home a letter yesterday that they will be performin their first lock down drill. To me it is very scary that this is going to be the norm in our town of less than 3000 people.

0
108 76

I just participated in a student release drill at the school one of the boys I nanny for, attends. For me it brought on sadness and I thought about all the parents in Sandy Hook who didn't have the luxury of being involved in a drill. The little boy I nanny for didn't think much of it, other than it was eating into his recess time. But I have heard from several of my Mommy friends that their children are bothered by the drills.

http://http://wp.me/p2kXG6-by

0
15 12

When my daughter began school, (she is 9 now), she came home and told me about something happening at school. She said they announced some kinda code over the PA System and they had to go to the class bathrooms, and wait until all the people who had guns had been caught. Imagone my surprise, it had only been about 8 weeks since we started. I finally contacted my cousin, who is a teacher, and she explained the entire procedure, including what the colors meant. She also said, "Don't worry, we have told them to run away in a zig zag pattern, because its harder to hit a moving target!" Of course, this didn't alleviate my fears at all. No matter how shocking this was to me, I have to give them credit. They are doing exactly what they need to do so the kids and teachers are prepared just in case. They have my kids and I am glad that they know what to do in this kind of crisis.
~Siobhan

0
2 0

My son is in second grade. They have had lockdown drills since he started at the school. I am over the moon about his school doing this. I feel it teaches children to be aware and what to do in an unpredictable situation. Kids must know what to do in an emergency situation. While I feel there is a very small chance of something happening, it's better to be safe than sorry.

0
0 0

My kids' schools do them regularly, and did them before Sandy Hook's incident. For them, it's a part of life and just something they do, like fire drills and assemblies.

http://www.friscokids.net

0
47 0

My daughters elementary school does lock downs. My daughter says that its kinda scary when they have them.

0
113 2

My kids' schools (elementary and middle) have them on a regular basis for years. They don't seem to bother the kids, they're part of their regular routine. We had fire drills, tornado drills, and some kind of bombing drill (i dont know what those desks were going to protect us from) when I was in school. Now the kid's have "red" and "blue" - the colors are a signal to the teachers of the situation, the color coding makes it not seem so scary.

0
1 0

My girls aren't in school yet, but as a former teacher, we had two mandatory lockdown drills a year. Add in a few "false alarms" and I have taken a class into lockdown 25 times. For the most part, the kids are used to them. They don't enjoy being crammed into a small, dark space and having to stay silent. The younger students will occasionally get scared about WHY we might need to hide. I always reacted that we wanted to practice the best way to keep them safe. But I don't know what I would say now.

http://www.frommeredithtomommy.com/2013/01/looking-aheadgoals-for-2013.html

0
2 0

After Luke Woodham shot up Pearl High School, all the schools in Pearl have lockdown drills, replaced glass with bullet proof glass & all entrances stay locked. They have never bothered either one of my daughters (neither were in high school at the time of the shooting, but are now). I started student teaching in August & I was at the Upper Elementary when they had a lockdown drill. It sort of freaked me out. It's sad that schools have to have these kinds of drills.

0
3 24

My 13-year-old attends a middle school outside of Washington, DC so lock-down drills have been a staple of his school career for a very long time. I don't think he considers it any stranger than the fire drills we all grew up with. However, about two months ago I received a text from him in the middle of the day that said the school was in lock-down and it wasn't a drill. I freaked out and jumped in my car (yes, I'm apparently one of those kind of moms) just to drive by the school and see what was happening. Luckily the school is only a two minute drive from my house and I happened to be free at that moment. It turned out to be nothing. A report of a suspicious person in the neighborhood triggered the lock down. When I got there there was only one school police officer circling the parking lot. My son texted me again about 15 minutes later to say it was over. I think the not knowing why definitely freaked him (and me) out. But, I'm glad they have those protocols in place. I also felt good about his ability to communicate with me. In those instances, breaking the "No texting in School" rule seems valuable and permissible - at least to me.

0