Does your parenting style differ from your in-laws?

Have you ever had a disagreement with your mother or father in law about how you are raising your children? How should moms handle a situation like this?

13 26

Yes my parenting style differs from my inlaws. It also differs from my parents too. Although I parent more like my parents. I have had a disagreement with my MIL. My MIL often talks to other family members about what has upset her. I prefer the direct approach. I think you should handle disagreements like a lady. Disagree in such a way that does not ruin the relationship but do stuff that works for you. Don't react instantly as time sometimes gives you a new perspective. Talk with your partner for another perspective and advice but try. Sort it out by yourself or as a couple. Don't make him be piggy in the middle.
At one time I could not ignore what was going on so I said that it's my rules in my house and her rules in her house. That was brilliant. It meant I could overlook stuff I didn't agree with at her house. We could always do everything at our house, but that's not very nice to her.
One thing I do keep in mind is she is the mother of my husband and he's pretty fantastic. She had a part in that so deserves my respect. She's also does lovely things with and for her grandkids. Not always what I would choose to do, but the kids love it.

1
7 22

your husband should deal with his parents and you need to deal with yours

1
0 3

I think I have the worst MIL!!
Everything I do is wrong, and the moment I try and confront her she plays the "I don't know what your talking about" game. I, myself like to tackle issues head on, but as my other half always says:" there's a time and place for every situation."
I think the trick is to know when to act and when to smile and wave!!
When you truly can't take it anymore then ask your spouse to chip in and make them understand that the line was crossed over a few times. It is also a good idea to re-emphasize the boundaries.
One thing we all forget is that the issues we as parents have with our in-laws don't necessarily have anything to do with the children.

0