Is honey suitable for a 10 month old baby?

181 2

It is not advisable to give honey to an infant with less than 12 months as it contains spores of Clostridium botulinum bacterium which is harmful for baby’s digestive system and may cause botulism. Its common symptoms are lack of appetite, constipation, indolence. In fact, when I consulted my doctor she suggested honey should not be added to any food or formula we fed to the infant till he/she is one year old. So I won’t suggest you to give honey to your baby until he is 1.

0
1 0

honey is not suitable for babies it can be poisonous

0
0 0

Try corn syrup my pedi said that was fine but not honey!!

0
78 20

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/04_infant_honey.htm

suggests not giving honey or products containing it until after 12 months of age.

0
2 0

NO honey before 2 years old. My daughter had infantile botulism (at 18 months), it is very real. Its natural properties are great, but an infant can't handle any spores hanging around in something like honey. It doesn't matter what other attributes are in honey, whether raw or pasturized, you can't kill the spores. An infant's digestive system provides a perfect environment for the spores to develope the toxins. All it needs is an anaerobic and nonacidic environment.