How Blogging Has Changed Me and My Family

0 0

I can’t honestly say that blogging has changed our journey as a military family, but it has given me something to do during this long deployment. I have also found some great military blogs that I love and always enjoy hearing from fellow military wives who have gone through the same struggles we go through.

0
0 0

Initially, I was semi-anonymous. I say semi-anonymous because, while I did not share my name on my site or let friends know about it, there are a lot of unique, identifying details that I made no effort to hide. Blogging helped me better understand some of the shared experiences of the military spouse experience and pushed me to really embrace all military family life has to offer. In some ways, it helped me be my best self, or at least a better self. I'd find myself thinking, "Do I want to share that I went somewhere, got ignored, and tucked tail and ran or do I want to share that I swallowed my pride and fears and introduced myself, made great friends, and helped others?"

Once I "outed" myself as the author of the blog to people who knew me, it also helped rally friends and family around me and my husband, and eventually our growing family. They really did want to hear not only my husband's updates from Iraq but also how I was doing. I've always been less comfortable opening up about my own challenges or accepting, let alone asking for, help. So, by sharing through the blog, I received a new level of support from friends who were really just waiting to be invited in.

0
0 0

When you are in the military it often means being stationed far away from anywhere you've ever called "home" or planted roots — far away from family and friends. Blogging has changed our journey as a military family because not only does it keep us connected to our family members living far away, but it has connected us to others who are facing the same things we face every single day. We are able to share our stories, our tips, our struggles...through the power of sharing we are able to come together despite great distances and not feel like we are fighting a battle on our own, but rather that there are many others out there who are right beside us and who are going to be there to pull us up when we are down just as we can rally and pull together to encourage another military sister who needs a lift.

0
1 0

As I worked to sort out my own emotions, thoughts and fears during my husband's deployment I learned that I am not alone! The community, neighbors, friends, even businesses are there for us. They want to help but don't always know how. Blogging has helped me introduce my military-family (and I'm talking in the broad spectrum) to that community. It has changed me greatly knowing that I have an impact on those all around me and sharing my story is just a piece of the American Military Family.

0
0 0

My blog started as a way to grow my business, but it has turned into much more than that. The blogging community is so rich with wonderful people that have unique stories and exciting experiences. As a military spouse, I know that where ever we are, or where ever we end up, all I have to do is reach out to the friends I have connected with through blogging, and I have something familiar again. Not to mention, it is an excellent way to keep family members in touch with how quickly the little guy is growing, and all of the projects we have been working on!

0
0 0

Blogging has changed our journey through all the other Military families I have met and encountered since blogging. It is such a tight knit community and everyone has each others back. It has been encouraging and enlightening.

0
0 0

I don't know that blogging has changed my journey, but rather my journey has changed my blogging. I love to write about our Army life and the wild & crazy adventure that it takes us on. I also love that through my blog, I’ve been able to connect with so many other military wives as we support each other and learn from each other.

0
0 0

As a military family, blogging has put me in touch with so many other MilSpouse bloggers, from all over. It is wonderful. We can find support from one another, as well as mentor younger or newer spouses.

0
0 0

It has changed how I walk through life. I am much more attentive and think "Is this something that others would like to know?" It has not necessarily directly impacted our lives as a family, besides that I spend more time on the computer now than I did before, but it has personally given me a sense of achievement.

0
0 0

I have been writing and blogging throughout my whole life, but when I became a military wife a lot of my goals and reasons for blogging changed. It wasn't just to write about how my day was anymore. It was to talk about military life. The ups and downs, the good and the bad. It was to let people know what being a military wife is really like. Having a military-related blog has changed my life in so many ways because of the topics I write, the people I get to blog with and meet, and the friends I have made through that blog. It is literally one of the best things to ever happen to me.

0
0 0

have only been blogging for a year but so far it has given me insight to other branches of service. Blogging has also helped me to understand that I'm not alone. There are so many people out there going through the same things I am. We are able to support one another, if only from a distance. I consider some of my bloggy friends better friends than my "real life" friends. The connection and shared experiences has been invaluable.

0
0 0

Blogging gives me a voice ... a way to chronicle our adventures in the US Army, express my own thoughts and opinions, and leave behind a tangible story for my children. I strive to be the most supportive and encouraging Army wife that I possibly can be, and my blog allows me to continue that goal, while sharing that goal, and its path, with others. Our journey as a military family is enhanced by blogging itself, in that many moments and events are now recorded for posterity when they might otherwise be forgotten in time.

0
0 0

As much as I have loved blogging about our life, I've always wanted my blog to have a bigger purpose. It amazes me that the entire military population, to include family and dependents, barely makes up 1% of the American population. Because of this, I feel there is a large gap between the civilian and military worlds and I wanted to do my part to work at bridging that gap. While doing this my husband has been extremely supportive and has added a lot of insight and knowledge, which has definitely added to the strength of our own bond. He has told me many times how proud he is of me for all that I'm doing. Also, in doing research on different aspects of military life I have found a lot of great information on helping children deal with this life, especially during deployments, which has been a great way for us to help our children cope with the constant changes we encounter. I think blogging as definitely played a role in the ever strengthening bond of our family.

0
0 0

My family laughs at me when I carry along my notebook, Flip video camera and digital camera. I recently invested in a USB voice recorder and now my younger son helps me with the video while my older son feeds me ideas. My husband is the most patient of them all and encourages my writing and for that I thank all of them.

0
0 0

It makes [our journey] seem much more exciting. When you are a military family, your life becomes routine. You don't really think about the things you are getting to do, see or experience. You just associate it as part of the military lifestyle. However, since it is documented you realize how precious that time was or how awesome an experience was that you took for granted.

0
0 0

It hasn't really. My days are the same, I just write about them instead of sleep! But I have expanded into a great community of mom bloggers so that is nice to connect with other people that are in similar situations.

0
0 0

By blogging about military family issues, I feel more informed about the topics that impact my family (and others). I have also gained a lot of perspective about what other military families struggle with and their opinions on the topics I cover. Mom of Brats aims at not only informing our community but also challenging them to analyze the issues that impact them and talk about how they feel about them. Because of the military culture, it can be difficult to stand up and say "this needs to be fixed." But if no one raises the "issues" than the organization as a whole does not function well — trust me: better soldiers are a product of happier families. For example, while "car registration" seems like a mundane topic, for military famlies the process can absorb a lot of time as we move from state to state — and this and other issues add up. As an aside, my kids HATE the name of my blog even though I tell them "brats" is an affectionate term in the military.

0
0 0

Because the military blogging community is so small I am known wherever I go and it has made it easier to make friends, which is something you definitely need to survive this challenging lifestyle.

0
0 0

Blogging has changed me, not only as a military wife, but as a woman. I’m stronger, more confident, and in-tune with my thoughts and feelings. I’ve met a lot of wonderful military ladies through the blogosphere, and I’m able to relate to them on a whole new level because we have endured/are enduring the same hardships — husbands deploying, being “single” parents, uprooting our families every couple of years. I’m able to offer advice and support, and receive the same in return. We’ve supported each other through deployments and pregnancies, watched each other’s families grow, and cheered on each other’s children’s milestones. I’m so inspired by other blogger military wives and their unique journey. I only hope to inspire and touch others as well.

0
0 0

I had been blogging for a few months when my husband and I decided to do the Army and he enlisted. It was really fast for us: he decided, then 4 days later he was sworn in, then 7 days after that he was off to 9 months of training. At this point my blog changed to include what it was like to be a temporary single mom. To keep myself busy I decided to lose weight while he was gone, and I took my readers along on the journey and started "Fat Butt Friday." I lost 90 pounds before I saw him again! I also told my readers what it was like to "learn" the military life and some of the funny things we do and find along the way.

0
0 0

Blogging has enabled me to “meet” so many other fantastic military spouses. Since my husband is in the reserves and we do not live near an active duty base, at times being a military family can feel isolated. Blogging has enabled me to come into contact with other women who understand what it is like to have a spouse that is deployed.

0
0 0

I have been able to connect with families all over the world and discovered that while we are miles and miles apart that we are all sharing common experiences, stresses and joys because we are part of a military family. Writing this blog has opened up a world of support for me too!

0
17 27

Blogging is very therapeutic for me. When challenging things happen to my kids, my husband or me, writing about it helps us get through it. Well, it helps me. Life is never dull, that's for sure. With a child with asperger's syndrome, plus 3 other sons, a deployed husband and no family around, things can be challenging. I always try to look on the lighter side of things and to take things in stride. Blogging helps me see the humor in our life.

0
0 0

You mean other than ignoring my kids and gaining 5 pounds from sitting at the computer too much? Well, I'd have to say that blogging and writing humor has given me a new purpose and outlet for my creativity that I never had before. And the beauty of writing is that it is portable and can PCS along with me and the family!

0