How can a 3 year old learn how to ride a bike?

At age 3, kids are often ready and excited to learn how to ride a bike. What's the best strategy to team them and help them learn?

8 0

The best strategy is really to get them a balancing bike (little bike without pedals that they push along with their feet) at an early age (around 2). The transition to the regular bike is then mostly very fast and pain free. Stabilisers are also a very bad idea. They make it a lot harder for a child to learn how to ride a bike properly as they teach them an unhealthy side-leaning style. My son had a balancing bike for a year from around aged 2-3 which he loved (and would still love if it hadn't been stolen). I bought him a bike with stabilisers as his friend had one and he was desperate for one too. I didn't think he was ready for one without. A kind friend told me I should get rid of the stabilisers as soon as possible as it wouldn't do him any favours. After 2 weeks I took the stabilisers off. He ignored the bike for a while and then just took off on it at about 3 and a quarter. It took him 20 minutes to learn and another couple of weeks to learn how to push himself off.

2
0 0

I totally agree! My daughter learned to ride a balance bike when she was just 2 years old. SHe is 3.5 now and informed me this summer that she knows how to balance so she is ready for a bike with pedals! She is very good at balancing while going quite fast and taking corners. All of our neighbors cannot believe how well she rides without training wheels. The balance bikes are VERY popular in Europe, which is where we lived until this past spring. Highly recommend checking these out!

23 11

im seeing posts by people who have their kids riding 2 wheel bikes at age 2-3!!! my son just turned 3 and i take him out all the time to try to teach him how to ride a bike! not only can he NOT steer AT ALL, but he also cant balance! all kids are different, and to be honest my son got the short end of the stick since both his father and i are as uncoordinated as they come :) i cant figure out how to teach him. hes got one of those battery operated jeeps as well, and cannot seem to grasp how to steer it! everyone in my family has tried also.... im hoping with time it will get better hehe :) i realize this was not helpful at all to the question but i wanted to share

1
20 1

That sounds like my son. We got him a tricycle and he can't steer at all. He looks all around and really doesn't pay attention to what's in front of him. (I hope by the time he's 16 he can drive in a straight line!)

245 0

you should start them off on a balance bike. My 3 year old son has one and it's helped his balance and coordination lots. Check out my blog you can see a video of him in action,

striderbikereview.blogspot.com

0
1

My son has been riding a Strider balance bike since his 2nd Birthday. I think they are the lightest you can find which is important at these young ages..its Aluminum and 8lbs i think.

He's 3.5 now and just rode around the block on his new redline pitboss "big boy" bike yesterday..with some help on my part of course, but i fully expect him to be riding on his own by 4.

http://www.amazon.com/Strider-ST-4-Kids-Running-Bike/dp/B00BJBWW8W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367855083&sr=8-5&keywords=strider+bike

0
3 4

I suggest a balance bike. Try a Skuut, they are the lightest, made of wood. My daughter,2, has one and we hope to skip training wheels. My nephews also had them and they continued to enjoy riding one even after they knew how to ride a regular bike.

0
22 8

I have never even heard of balance bikes and I don't know what you guys are taling about, lol. My sons are 1 and 2, my 2 year old rides his bike fine. My 1 year old can ride his trike fine, but he prefers to push with his feet most of the time, I don't really care. I think repeated exposure to a bike is the best way to learn as with anything. And all kids are different, so it might take some kids 5 times, it might take others 55 times or more. Just keep trying and they will get it. I should say my sons have a big sister who makes them ride everyday, she is so bossy at 5 years old! lol!

0
5 13

Balance bikes are the BEST thing for learning to ride - as is loads of opportunity to practice! I got my twin boys balance bikes for their 2nd birthday - they loved them. We replaced them with peal bikes on their 3rd birthday as they were wearing out all of their shoes on the balance bike (no brakes!!) due to going so fast! They hated their pedal bikes initially because we put trainer wheels on them. As soon as we took hem off it took them 10 minutes to be able to ride on their own. The hardest thing for them to learn was how to brake, not how to balance!! Because they beceame very competent riders by 3.5 yo we starting taking them on 10km rides on bike trails. They love it and it's a great way to experience new places with them. We take our bikes when we go camping and for day trips.

By the way, our kids hated the trikes that we bought them for their 1st birthday as they are fairly inefficient at gaining momentum.

0
22 6

This is an exciting and fun age! Purchase or use a bike with training wheels and be sure to put a helmet, knee and elbow pads on the child to help protect from any falls.

Enjoy the ride.

0
2 4

I took my daughter and up loaded a video on 'how to ride a bike' it suggest no stabilizes and all this, but to later. Anyway I also learnt that for us it is easier to hold on to the child's shoulders than the seat because they learn to balance quicker themselves and it saves ur back on the numerous laps that u do when ur practicing. The other thing I found is that I found that worked well practice ever day
Enjoy those running shoes, cause I'm seeming to be heaps fitter jogging/running round the practice circuit!

0
4 16

my little girl is 3 and cant ride her bike we have tryed lots but she cant do it

0
2 0

Wow these kids are talented! My son will be 3 August 18th and he can't even peddle the wheels right.

0
23 11

same here nikki! my son is around the same age and cant steer or pedal right lol.

7 17

i got my daughter and she has seizure at two a bike with training wheels and a helmet and let her have it she got on it and started petaling and did great she need no help just let them be kids

0
0 5

WELL MY SON IS 3 AND KNOWS HOW TO RIDE A BIKE WITHOUT STABILIZERS AND HAS DONE FOR SOME MONTHS I USED TO HOLD THE SEAT TO GET HIM GOING AND JUST LET HIM GO ONCE HE GOT GOING HE SOON PICKED IT UP TOCK A WHILE TO GET HIM USED TO USING THE BREAKS WHEN HE WANTED TO STOP..

0
4 8

I had my daughter ride her bike with her cousin who knew how to ride a bike n is one year older. She learned by watching him. :)

0
5 10

you can put he or she on a bike with training wheels and hold the back and push

0
14 6

I am a BIG VOTE for the balance bike! My son is 3.5 and has a Smartgear balence bike (smartgear.com) and it is amazing. We are like a riding advertisment for this thing, because everyone he zooms past is like "that is SO cool! What is that? Where did you get it?" It teaches them balance first so they get confidence and skill and then, as reported by at least 2 of my friends, they just jump on a regular bike on day and are off. It also gave me a great way to teach him to wait and stop when I told him, because he wanted to ride SO much that I could just say "we have to follow the bike rules or the bike goes in the car". We ride at the park a few times a week and it's wonderful. He gets to feel SO powerful and fast like a "big kid" but it's safe and I get a little brake! LOL Can't rave enough...

0 20

Practice with the and be patient as we'll as encourage them to keep trying. Start step by step and recognize what their challenge of it is, and practive impoving it.

0
0 1

My daughter was between 2 & 2 1/2 when she started riding her bicycle with training wheels. She wanted to be like her big sister when she rode her bike, so we got her one with training wheels that she could ride. With a little push at the start, she would ride around the yard just like her big sister. She pedals on her own, turns, and sometimes she says she does "tricks". She will ride real fast(fast to her atleast) and then suddenly turn(without falling over) and then stop! With encouragement, support, and a little help she never once gave up. She now is 3, and has 2 bicycles with training wheels, and a tricycle that she LOVES to ride. We figure by next summer she will be ready to take off the training wheels and ride like a big kid!

0
88 22

My son is 2 1/2, and was maybe 2 and a couple months when he learned to ride his bike. I just put his feet on the pedals, and pushed him forward, encouraging him to pedal. He got the hang of it real fast!

0
8 0

Wow! That is very early. Do you mean without stabilisers?