How can I fix my daughter's frizzy hair problem?

What are some tips for taming your daughter's frizzy hair?

3 0

I have thick naturally curly dry hair. My 5 year old has my curly hair and my 9 year old has fine wavy hair that gets frizzy. Here is what we do..... Don't shampoo every day as it is too drying. Always use lots of conditioner. I like to leave some in my hair. My favorites are Pantene, Palmers and Organix. I use a pick on wet hair to get the big tangles out then a comb for anything smaller that the pick missed. Never brush curly hair when it is dry, it breaks up the curls and creates frizz. If you have to fix it when its dry, spritz with water first then use a pick. A bit of gel will help keeps things under control. My favorite product to smooth and moisturize is argan oil. I comb a bit through everyones wet hair and it makes a huge difference. It's great for your skin too.

16
0 0

WOW GREAT INFO! I have always brushed mine in the shower with conditioner just because it was easier . Never knew you should not brush it dry. thank you for posting :)

1 25

My stylist recommended getting a silk pillowcase to help with my daughter's frizzy hair - it has made a huge difference!

11
19 77

Oh neva heard dat b4, will give that a try!!

0 15

You should check out a book called Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey. She has a great routine to eliminate frizz. Ive been doing a modified version of the routine for years. Essentially you should stay away from shampoos with sulfates. Sulfates wreak havoc on the hair and dry it out. Also, towel drying the hair will cause frizz. Use an old tshirt or birdseye fabric (flat cloth diapers) instead.

There are great product lines out there that can help. Curls.biz has a great line for kids. I use it for my son and myself. I also like Jessicurl.com. Most of these products can also be found at curlmart.com.

9
1 21

I am not sure of your ethnicity, but my children are African American with curly hair. I use Silken Child (purchased at Sally's) and it works great. I have also used Miss Jessie's (which can be purchased at Target). As my daughter gets older, her hair is EXTREMELY thick and those curls lead to a daily fight between the two of us (LOL). Miss Jessie's makes it very easy to manage. If you are not of color, these products may be too oily for you.

Hope you find something that works!

6
0 0

I am mixed and have kinky curly thick coarse hair..I fight with y own hair lol. as well as my daughter that took after me with her hair. Thank you for the info. I will try that. :)

107 48

I have thick curly hair and it can get super frizzy, I find using a leave in conditioner works great for taming the frizz/enhancing curl, but only put it through the length of the hair not on the scalp because that can cause build up and get itchy. I also only wash with a product once a week & just rinse & wide tooth comb while wet the rest of the time. I NEVER brush my hair dry anymore as it loses the curl & increases the frizz. My sisters friend does similar but with a spoon of Olive Oil a day and only washes with product once a month. My other sisters son has very fine hair & it gets super frizzy at the back when he sleeps, so he has a silk pillow case & used to use Paulas Choice silicone stuff (my sister loves all the Paulas Choice stuff - From the author of Don't go to the *(cosmetics counter, shampoo aisle etc)* without me books) which also made his hair nice & shiny (he is a strawberry blonde & 8yo now & just keeps it short). My Daughter has straight semi- fine hair that frizzes at the back when she sleeps or even just in her car seat so we use a spray in conditioner - that we make ourselves using watered down normal conditioner with a few drops of tea tree or orange oil to help prevent head lice at day care.

5
107 48

I'll also add that my son has silky curly hair and is a hot sleeper and sweats so much at night that when he wakes up his hair is amazingly smooth and curly no matter how fluffy it was when he went down. It's bizzare, but cute.

0 0

I use the Original Little Sprout products on my two girls in order to combat the frizz

3
1 11

Sounds extremely silly but works wonders and costs far less than most products - wet and comb hair and apply a water based lubricant - spread around hair fluffing as you would with mousse, gel, or any other product. makes it silky smooth and eliminates frizz

2
0 15

As a hair stylist, i love to use "it''s a 10 miracle leave in product plus keratin". I use it on my 20 month old girl who has naturally curly hair just like me. Use only 2 spritzes and comb through her hair, also not shampooing it everyday helps too. Good luck!!!

2
19 28

I have naturally curly hair and I have found that if I use a good leave in conditioner and mouse my hair does great! Also, don't use a hair brush to brush her hair, get a hair pick or use your fingers. It has been my experience that if you use a brush, your hair frizzes even more. never brush her hair when its dry, it will only make it frizz worse!

2
23 46

I have a website devoted to curly hair.
www.ilovemykinky.com
Find us on FB
www.facebook.com/ilovemykinkycurlynaturalhair

1
6 9

I like a product for curly hair made by Mixed Chicks. The leave in conditioner works great and its not greasy. I'm a Mixed Chick so is my Daughter and my Grand Daughter. We all have curly beautiful hair that we love. Look at the website MixedChicks.com LOVVE IT!

1
0 16

Thank you! I am going to order this! My 5 year old daughter is mixed & I have tried so many products & nothing has worked yet....

6 41

I have naturally curly hair and always hated it....but as an adult I found the biologe line by matrix works wonders...can be found in salons and some HEB's here in Texas anyway....it is pricey thou....so when I am short on cash I buy the loreal line in the bronze bottle....it has no sulfate and it doesn't weigh hair down.....I believe it is called ever sleek....Jen Lopez does the ads and commercial's. I also try to go to an aveda salon monthly for a hot oil and deep condition treatment using their be curly line....it is $40.00 and it is awesome.....you also get a head, neck, and shoulder massage and a style too so it is a treat as well as great for your hair.....dunno how old your little one is, but if she is old enough she would probably enjoy being pampered....turn it into a mommy/daughter spa day tradition....I plan to do that with my daughter when she is old enough.

For the people who said they never wash their hair how do you keep it from smelling sweaty and dirty???? I have to wash mine every 3 days....and in summer every other day because it smells like sweat.

1
16 2

try a dry shampoo...i even read somewhere ordinary baby powder works as well.it absorbs all the extra oils out between washings.don't hate your curly hair, it's lovely! i have straight hair and totally boring!

4 4

Moroccan oil and Moroccan Oil Curling Creme. Adds the right amount of texture, condition and the more you use it the softer and cleaner the curls are. My daughter's hair is tightly curled, thick and coarse and she is complimented multiple times a day on her enviable hair. We only brush in the shower while conditioning and let it air dry. Tot ouch up in the morning i comb with my fingers and a little water.

To combat humidity we use a few different products on dry hair. All are a thick, almost cream that is used to tame, hold, or slick the ends. Both my daughters have curly hair, one fine, one thick. It takes different products for each and it just requires doing something with their hair each day.

1
3 0

I use 100% pure argan oil on my hair and my daughters'. Argan is the oil from Morocco in that line. It works great in it's natural form and is cheaper than the name brand line.

5 17

I use a leave in spray conditioner or a simple water spray to damp down the hair

1
55 10

As a current curly who was a miserable frizzy as a child, I would suggest a couple of things. 1) Get the right stylist! Naturallycurly.com is a great resource, you can read reviews of stylists in your town and hopefully find one for your daughter. And if there isn't anybody recommended on it, for goodness sake, DO NOT let whoever cuts her hair use thinning sheers. 2) Curly hair frizzes when it is dry. A leave in conditioner or gel applied when the hair is still wet (not soaking, but not towel dried either) will help. 3) Hair prone to frizzing frizzes when brushed. So no brushing out, especially when dry. As somebody mentioned, Curly Girl is a good resource which can provide other tips.

1
4 0

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. WORK LESS EARN MORE
­c­l­o­u­D­4­0­.­c­ℴ­m

0
1

I like Shea Moisture it really works well, but I recently 
came across this product that a friend of mine recommended and I've been using it for the last three months and I have seen my hair go from dull, dry and shedding to having lots of sheen and moisture. The most amazing thing about this product is, it made my hair grow, so now I'm telling anyone that would listen... I think you can only get it online, it really works at least I was highly impressed with the results. I will keep you posted... The hair line is call
 Voodoo Roots Organics, the website is www.voodooroots.com

Good Luck With Your Hair Journey...
-Naturalhairluver

http://voodooroots.com

0
353 0

Our Daughter has super curly frizzy hair. We also do not wash it everyday. That makes it worse. I also use a leave in conditioner and also use this stuff called Silk drops and also a spray leave in conditioner. I have used several brands. I think you just have to find one that works for you.

0
16 2

try a detangling spray like Noodle and Boo (available from Amazon)-my 1 year old is curly and always getting tangles even though her hair isn't long yet.

0
0 0

HI.
Best products I've found for kids is Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner, Shampoo and Hair silk and Moroccan oil.
There is a website we use in Australia which imports products for people with kinky/curly/mixed ethnic hair. It's called Afropuffs.com.au
The States has alot of products that other readers have suggested, which I agree with. When your overseas though, pickings are slim! Good luck!

0
0 0

My daughter has always had spiral curls and they are looser depending on the length of her hair. I have tried SO many different products, but have found that Ouidad products work the best for her hair. Ouidad has a line called KRLY Kids and it works so well on her hair. It's a little pricier than what you would find at the drugstore or Wal-Mart, but the upside is that you have to use less product, so it lasts a lot longer. We use a wide-toothed comb to gently break up tangles - I carefully comb it while she has conditioner in her hair. Before baths, we do use a natural boar bristle brush to clean and stimulate the scalp. I've also found that towel-drying is a big no-no and the less we touch her hair after she gets out of the bath, the better. We haven't tried a silk pillowcase for her, but I use one and it really helps MY hair to not frizz out...

0
41 7

Don't use shampoo. I have dry thick frizzy hair and so does both my daughters and I never use shampoo. Conditioner is all I use every time I wash. Dont brush it.

0
8 8

Try Wen, its amazing.

0
4 3

I use a product called Mixed Chicks for our hair...Works great...the website is www.mixedchicks.net

0
4 12

I have curly hair and so do my daughters. I followed Masseys advice for years, but it wasn't perfect for me. So, I just stopped shampooing altogether. I wet my hair and massage my scalp as if I were shampooing, but no product. I don't use any commercial conditioner either, just a few drops of coconut oil right after the shower, then softly detangle. My hair looks the best it ever has!
I think the products we use contribute to our problems. I use Coconut oil on my skin as moisturizer too, and in food. It works from the inside out too!

0
161 2

As a hairdresser all the suggestions are great but I would still suggest to brush your hair before washing/rinsing it as brushing is good to remove old skin cells and excess oils from the scalp. Leaving these on the scalp can give you an oily look at the roots depending on hair and also flaky scalp which can be confused for dandrufff and build up can give the scalp an itchy feel. Other than that all the suggestions about combing rather than brushing.. leave in moisturisers/conditioners etc are great.

0
2 75

try a conditioner water mix that u spritz on before styling. also dont use brushes. they separate curls and move the natural moisture of the hair all over. Be patient hair has to be trained..

0
0 4

I have read these thoughts and have tried them all and all three of my girls still have awful curly hair that won't stay combed. Anything else?

0
0 55

My daughter has very thick hair and her curls are extremely tight. I've been using two different products. Ouidad and Carol's Daugther. They are a bit pricey but I find that they work the most. Hope this helps.

0 23

Use Curly Whip by Hair Rules... took me years to find it, but it tames my curls if I follow the directions and I love it!!! Also... no shampoos with sulfates. I love my hair now... i just needed to find the right product, before that I felt frustrated with the frizz.

0
18 40

My twins use pantenes dry to moist for curly hair, pink bottle not the 2n1 both shampoo and conditioner, frizzy hair it really is the conditioner that helps the curly stop frizzing

0
53 7

Our twin boys are biracial with beautiful curls. My hair is straight as a board, so I've had a steep learning curve! I agree about no sulfates - Loreal makes a sulfate free smoothing shampoo and conditioner that's great. Don't be shy about lathering on that conditioner, just rinse thoroughly. I also only wash their hair every 3rd day. More than that dries it out. I've tried MANY kids products, Mixed Chicks products, and Just For Me leave in products. But the Loreal has worked best so far and you can buy it cheap in any drugstore. After a haircut my boys' hair stays nice in smooth curls the longest of anything I've tried yet. I'm gonna try that silk pillowcase idea too.

0
3 25

My son is biracial and he has curly hair. I use Johnson's No More Tangles leave-in conditioner. It leaves his hair soft, defines his curls and it smells great.

0
0 5

I use a kids shampoo with conditioner in it, which basically cleans and softens my 4 year old daughter's head of curls. The frizz kicks in after it's dried, through. To battle it, I NEVER use a brush on her hair, only a wide-toothed comb. I spray it with a detangler or just water (lightly), comb it, and then use a tiny bit of a leave-in, anti-frizz cream (like Dove Leave-In Smoothing cream OR John Frieda Frizz-Ease Finishing Cream). I rub the tiny bit in my hands and wipe on her hair, trying to evenly spread it all over. Her curls stay put, and they're never crunchy... and frizz free!

0
0 7

my son is mixed and has a head full if curls, I use garnier fructis sleek &shine leave-in conditioner in his hair and it keeps its from frizzing up without weighing it down.

0
0 15

How old is she and what type of had does she have? I have three children, two of which are girls. Mo oldest has very thick straight hair and my younger one has thick curly hair (as do I) Taming it really depends on their age and what you are willing to use on it. When my youngest was little Johnson & Johnson had a detangling gel. It worked great, but most baby hair products have a lot of alcohol in it and it could dry the hair out. For myself I have recently been introduced to the Ouidad line of hair products. LOVE IT! They also have a children's line which is great. You can go to their website and they discuss all the products and then you can do a search for a salon near you that sells to or you can order online.

My biggest recommendation is to avoid using baby hair products on her. They really don't help. Maybe even try a simple shampoo and conditioner like Suave or Dove. We use Dove and it works great even without product in the kids hair

0
3 99

I put about a teaspoon of grapeseed oil in my daughter's curly mess. It gathers the strands together, conditions, and I know it's safe- it's food.

0 11

For straight or wavey hair, I use a boar's hair brush. Shampoo 1-2 times per week.

-1
3 11

A hairdresser once told me to avoid expensive hair products to use a $2 bottle of sorbolene cream. Works a treat and saves you money on products full of unknown chemicals which we dont want our bubbas exposed to

-1
0 8

http://www.lookingforalternatives.com.au/clandestine-sorbolene/ not sure I want to post this but that is one heavy chem cocktail

15 25

My 5 year old daughter has a solid mop of frizzy curls! Every morning we we spritz it with water and mousse it to help tame it throughout the day!. I love her curls!

-2
0 2

All of these involve products! There is no need. I have very curly hair and all you need to do is damp in the morning take a small section of hair and twirl around your finger a few times to create the natural curl and drop the finger down. It may take a bit of practice but you get quicker. Its an old Toni and Guy technique i believe and does not fail me. I never wore my hair down for years and now its always down and everyone comments, even people who dont know me. !!